E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #1
ReactiveShooter

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2001 740il
My Interior Transformation. Grey to black/cinnamon.

Bought the car a few months ago and I simply hate grey! I've been collecting parts for several weeks and the door panels should be here wednesday so I started disassembly tonight.

Big thanks to royalratch and his great dash write-up for info:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=628898

I have a black dash and black front half carpet, and I've got black/cinnamon door panels and rear panels on the way. I'll be attempting to dye the rear half carpet with RIT since it's not very visible and because I didn't find a black rear carpet for a convertible. The seats will have to come later since they are a bigger investment and mostly because finding cinnamon convertible seats is going to be a waiting game.

Ill try painting some of the grey pieces like the kick panels and carpet trim but if I don't like it I'll buy OEM black. I'll probly just go OEM for the center console since painting probably wouldn't do well on it.

My stock trim was some metallic dark grey that was bubbling and ugly, so I decided to go with the brushed alluminum trim. Found a set with all but the shifter surround for 150$ Which was the cheapest id seen since this trim is popular. I wrapped my shifter trim with a high quality alluminum-look vinyl and it matches pretty well. It'll do till I find a geniune piece.

Spent about an hour and a half tonight. Got all the bits out of the dash and yanked the center console.

The Car:

Before:

New dash(100$): Ignore the camo horse blanket! I use it to lay on when under the car. Easier to slide around that way Haha.

Carpet in great condition(80$):

Panels on the way!:

End of the night:

I tried to get the shift knob off and pull the boot to get it out of the way but that bastard ain't moving. I've replaced the knob on my 740 and it was hard to remove but this one isn't going anywhere.

I like that bmw used the same screw on almost everything dash/console wise. Makes keeping track easier. On my fords every single screw was a different length/size.

Tomorrow I'll pull the wheel, stalks, and glovebox and hopefully get that dash out!
ReactiveShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Slobo7x

My Ride: cars
Great job so far! I am not a fan of grey either, that color combo you are getting is probably my favorite
Slobo7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
tlow98

My Ride: Saab
Good for you!

You plan to buy new seats or re-die them?

Getting a good condition dash for $100 seems like a great price

Grey was a deal breaker for me due to the sheer amount of it! You're conquering it tho.

Last edited by tlow98; 01-13-2014 at 08:58 AM.
tlow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
ReactiveShooter

I'm hoping I'll find a set of convertible seats in cinnamon, coupe seats won't work because of the seat belt, but I may resort to having them re-upholstered. Dyeing won't work for me at least on the front seats because the drivers side bolster is torn up from PO. I might dye the rear seats if I have no other choice, they are in good condition.

Dash was a great deal. Kinda took a risk because the pics were bad and you couldn't really see what condition it was in but it looks great! Came packaged terribly though. It was packaged in three wheel boxes that had been taped together badly. I'm highly surprised any one would ship the thing. Luckily only one place directly under the steering wheel column trim broke a little. Not visible.

Panels set me back 650$ though. Only set of convertible panels I could find. Oh well, car is worth it.

Also, if anybody is in the market for a perfectly good grey dash/carpet and some decent grey panels hit me up haha!

Last edited by ReactiveShooter; 01-13-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
azndrunk74

My Ride: LSB vert
The grey to black/cinnamon interior swap was probably the best mod I ever did for my car. There is someone on m3forum parting out their cinnamon vert interior. They're located in Reno, NV. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:54 AM   #6
ReactiveShooter

Well I hurt my back yesterday or something so didnt feel like working too hard tonight but got everything off and the dash loose, but it doesn't want to come out. The a pillars are holding the dash in and I can't seem to get them off. Cab's don't have pillar airbags so I don't have the trim strip with Torx screws. It's supposed to just pull off but it sure as hell doesn't want too. I'll work on it some more tomorrow night.

As a side note; whoever at bmw designed the steering wheel swivel "clock" mechanism for the steering wheel button wiring deserves a slow death. When I pulled the wheel off the front half of the clock came with it because it's not held together worth a damn and the ribbons inside came flying out. About 67 attempts and some deals with the devil got the damn thing back together. Hopefully it will work when it all goes back together.

Last edited by ReactiveShooter; 01-14-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
azndrunk74

My Ride: LSB vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactiveShooter View Post
Well I hurt my back yesterday or something so didnt feel like working too hard tonight but got everything off and the dash loose, but it doesn't want to come out. The a pillars are holding the dash in and I can't seem to get them off. Cab's don't have pillar airbags so I don't have the trim strip with Torx screws. It's supposed to just pull off but it sure as hell doesn't want too. I'll work on it some more tomorrow night.

As a side note; whoever at bmw designed the steering wheel swivel "clock" mechanism for the steering wheel button wiring deserves a slow death. When I pulled the wheel off the front half of the clock came with it because it's not held together worth a damn and the ribbons inside came flying out. About 67 attempts and some deals with the devil got the damn thing back together. Hopefully it will work when it all goes back together.
The A pillars just pull off with some force. They are held in by plastic clips. Try pulling carefully from the top and work your way down (I may have wedged a screwdriver in, I can't recall exactly). I remember a few of the plastic clips broke and I had to buy new ones.

Last edited by azndrunk74; 01-14-2014 at 05:44 PM.
azndrunk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
naMKaren

My Ride: 2001 330i
Good luck dude, looking forward to see the end results.
naMKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
thegenius46m

My Ride: E46 M3, E63 M6
Good luck! Will be doing the same with my grey interior pretty soon as well.

Purchased:11/13 with 58k miles

thegenius46m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
I want to make my interior LSB so bad! Just look how awesome it looks

You literally don't see this. I don't see why it wont with a silver exterior.

If my e46 was phoenix yellow, id had to have that interior. It took a while to grow on me but I love it now

SGT catless headers

Full BW 3.5" Resonated Race Exhaust w/ diffuser

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #11
ReactiveShooter

We'll I'm gonna call it a night. Pulled the A pillars which took what I would categorise as a "freaking stupid" amount of force for some plastic trim. I ended up jamming a screwdriver under the top edge and prying the trim down away from the metal frame under the trim with way more force than I felt comfortable putting on plastic trim. I was getting irritated and figured I'd just replace them if they broke. May replace them anyway, they've got some marks and what I think May be small smears of paint on one of them. None of the tabs broke but one of the grommets the tabs go into will need to be replaced.

For the record. Removing the dash by yourself is a pain! Haha. I kept going back and forth around the car working it out and then found I'd got the tail of the dash(the part around the shifter) stuck under the ebrake handle instead of over it so I had to work the dash all back forward again and up over the ebrake handle. I imagine doing it in a coupe would be a lot harder.

After getting the dash out I discovered that the carpet goes under the dash more than I thought. No way I'll be able to get it under the hvac box and stuff in one piece. I'll be cutting quite a bit of the middle portion out of the middle of the carpet to fit it around this stuff. It'll al be hidden once the new dash goes in so no big deal.

So then I went to remove my seats and found the flaw in my wonderful plan. I've had the battery disconnected so I wouldn't get airbag lights and whatnot but there is no way to get to all four bolts on the seats without moving them around. Tomorrow night I'll hook the battery up, hope no airbags deploy or anything, and run the seats forward so I can get to the rear bolts.

I've taken vacation for Thursday and I'm off fri-sat so I've got a nice three day weekend to work on the car!

Sorry about the huge pics BTW guys. I'm using an iPhone and the photobucket app. The app has options to rotate, crop, red-eye edit, add effects and do every other damned thing EXCEPT resize the damned photo.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #12
ReactiveShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
I want to make my interior LSB so bad! Just look how awesome it looks

You literally don't see this. I don't see why it wont with a silver exterior.

If my e46 was phoenix yellow, id had to have that interior. It took a while to grow on me but I love it now
For reals bro. I saw the guy selling his LSB interior over on m3forum and was drooling all over the place. LSB just works on everything. But no way I'd find any parts for that color at affordable prices haha! I love contrast so that interior in a yellow or, even better, metallic orange coupe would dead sexy. My dream bimmer would be in either LSB or that "frozen" Blue color they're using now, with black and cinnamon interior and CF trim. That car would be sex.

Frozen blue: as much as I love LSB, this color wins.

Last edited by ReactiveShooter; 01-15-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReactiveShooter View Post
For reals bro. I saw the guy selling his LSB interior over on m3forum and was drooling all over the place. LSB just works on everything. But no way I'd find any parts for that color at affordable prices haha! I love contrast so that interior in a yellow or, even better, metallic orange coupe would dead sexy. My dream bimmer would be in either LSB or that "frozen" Blue color they're using now, with black and cinnamon interior and CF trim. That car would be sex.

Frozen blue: as much as I love LSB, this color wins.
Hell yeah, these cars have the best colors ever. The only color that woudlnt look good would be that dark green on imola red. Lol it would look like a Christmas tree going down the road. There are some bmw individual colors that are honestly the prettiest I've ever seen. I want my car to be techno violet so bad with an Ivory interior

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

SGT catless headers

Full BW 3.5" Resonated Race Exhaust w/ diffuser

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ‹mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
///Mpower3357

My Ride: 00' 323i
x2 on frozen blue. Sexy

Sent using my cellular tele
///Mpower3357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
ReactiveShooter

Alright made some serious headway today. Got the seats out and all the carpet out, and put the new front carpet in place. Also pulled the door panels and rear panels. Now I've got to start painting all the bits I haven't bought and I'll start the rear carpet dyeing process. I ended up cutting the grey out around the middle dash area and cutting the black one in two and then trimming it to fit to the grey bit left under the hvac box. All of this will be fit under the edges of the dash and invisible.

The carpet I bought off eBay was for a coupe and I figured it would fit a convertible well enough. It is pretty close but some trimming is needed around the frame stiffening braces on the floor of the convo's. It looks like it will work fine when everything is put back in place to hold it down.

The panels came in yesterday and I unpacked them last night. The leather bits are all flawless. The black bits have a blemish or two here and there but all in all it's in great condition. They even have speakers still attached. The black plastic convertible top parts of the rear upper panels are scratched and scuffed and I'll re-paint them.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #16
ReactiveShooter

Also, I tried to remove the shift knob to get it out of the way now that I can stand straight over it and pull and IT STILL won't move. I'm a big dude. From looking underneath there appears to be some grayish adhesive residue on the base of the shift knob. I guess that thing is staying on there. Hopefully when my alcantara shift boot and handbrake boot come in I can find a way to get it on without damaging it too much.

I want this stuff done. Driving the 740 isn't the same. I want some m3 time.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
JesseInSb

My Ride: CBR600 F4i
The PO in my M3 actually glued down my shift knob and I saw the same adhesive you're talking about. I just muscled it out after 4 days but I'd imagine using some heat would help.

2003 Tiag Dove Grey 6 Speed

Last edited by JesseInSb; 01-17-2014 at 07:02 PM.
JesseInSb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
NIVLEK_

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
great job! I'm also in the process of transforming my interior. Still on the hunt for black carpet.
NIVLEK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
ReactiveShooter

Well yesterday I spent experimenting with the carpet dye and trying to paint some of the kick panels and door sills, and then getting drunk. The dye is a bust. The grey carpet sample I tried took exactly ZERO dye color. It all washed straight out. Looks like today I'll be trying duplicolor fabric paint. Yeah it sucks but I don't take passengers in the rear seats anyway. It's just for looks for now.

It appears that bmw plastic actively HATES paint. Even cleaning/sanding/cleaning again and even spraying with adhesion promoter(pretty much straight xylene, toluen, and MEK), this **** STILL won't take paint worth a damn. Today I'm going to find a plastic specific primer and see if that helps at all. I've never had this much trouble getting paint on plastic.

Today I'll hopefully get time to wrap my steering wheel trim in alcantara, also.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
ReactiveShooter

Yesterday I spent finally getting the door Sills and kick panels to take paint. Went to Lowes and picked up valspar primer for plastic and valspar "color radiance" flat black. It looks awesome. Probably won't wear well but it'll do for now. I'm at this moment painting the rear carpet with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. Seems to be working.

I think tonight since I have all the door panels off I'm going to take measurements of all speaker locations and depths and make a write up on it.

Got the dash in yesterday. Haven't started putting anything back in it yet.