E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 AM   #61
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
Give everyone walking into the theatre a loaded gun. Then nobody will be impolite or dare cause any ruckus. Wear your monocle because it will be the most civilized place to be.
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #62
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
I think everyone should own a gun but I never understood the need to take a gun with you to certain places. It bothers me that while I am furiously eating popcorn there is person with a gun next to me. I also wouldn't want checks or something invasive at a theater because that sounds stupid.

fckupayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #63
AudiEtr

My Ride: 330i
If the old guy was sitting in front of the victim, how would he know he was texting?
If anything, the people behind him would have been bothered, no?

Sounds like the old guy was looking for a confrontation to begin with.

I'll bet if he didn't have a gun, he wouldn't have had the balls to say anything.
A lot of people think their tough when they carry a gun.
Their not, just scared to take an ass whippin for their loud mouth.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #64
MotorWerkz

My Ride: very cheap Yugo
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Too bad, preventing gun violence in US is like preventing muslim turning into terrorist in muslim countries.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:05 AM   #65
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE

I hate movie theaters. I refuse to go to them anymore.

Last edited by pancakes; 01-14-2014 at 07:06 AM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #66
JTripper
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325ci
Fhuck the police!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Ride or DIE! #BavarianBeast #Gertrude is her name.
Fav car quote: "Maintenance before Mods"!

Trying to do this MOD asaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_o...rT_5bRlRc6GfPA

My lil Beast http://youtu.be/DT6FzACDskM
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #67
JTripper
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEtr View Post
If the old guy was sitting in front of the victim, how would he know he was texting?

I'll bet if he didn't have a gun, he wouldn't have had the balls to say anything.
+1

Ride or DIE! #BavarianBeast #Gertrude is her name.
Fav car quote: "Maintenance before Mods"!

Trying to do this MOD asaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_o...rT_5bRlRc6GfPA

My lil Beast http://youtu.be/DT6FzACDskM
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #68
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:

*They're

"The Oulsons were sitting in front of Reeves and his wife, and Chad Oulson was texting as they waited for the movie to begin, the sheriff’s office said. Detectives said Reeves asked Oulson several times to stop."

Reading comprehension is a hell of a thing, you ought to try it sometime...

"Detectives said Reeves asked Oulson several times to stop."

At that point, shooting Oulson was probably a kindness. Disembowelment would have been better...

I keed, I keed. Seriously: No way in hell would I condone physical violence against some thoughtless asshole, much less deadly force (I carry, and I know the awesome responsibilities such a privilege has attached to it).

But at some point, when a patron repeatedly asks someone to stop doing something obnoxious and probably forbidden by the theater, some of the blame for the escalation has to be shifted to the proximate cause of the incident.

"Reeves eventually left the theater to complain to staff. When he returned, Oulson asked if Reeves had reported him to management, the sheriff’s office said. The two began to argue and Reeves pulled out a gun and shot Oulson in the chest, the sheriff’s office reported."

Again: Not defending the shooter (would never), but I can understand the incident and how it developed. Before anything else is said, we would need to know what Oulson did to incite Reeves, a police veteran, to clear leather and start blasting. There's a lot of unspoken history there in the word "and..."

A poser for gun haters: In a world where there is a likelihood that the guy next to you is carrying, there might be a bit more respect to pass around, no?
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #69
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by fckupayme View Post
I think everyone should own a gun but I never understood the need to take a gun with you to certain places. It bothers me that while I am furiously eating popcorn there is person with a gun next to me. I also wouldn't want checks or something invasive at a theater because that sounds stupid.
No point in having the gun if you don't have it when you need it. Movie theaters have been a target in the past and they're not isolated from stupid and crazy people, as evidenced by this very story. We carry guns just like our cell phones; it's part of our daily wardrobe. And because it's concealed, you and the rest of the population generally don't know that the guy next to you eating popcorn is strapped.

You're going to be in a pretty tough position to dictate otherwise where people can carry. The philosophy of most of us who carry is that it's better be judged by 6-12 than carried by 6. A sign probably won't deter people from doing it, certainly not maniacs looking to do harm.

Quote:

I have to re-read to article to be sure, but I thought the victim was sitting in front of the shooter? I'll have to check in that.

And one more thing. Regarding your assertion that concealed carry people are more arrogant or macho or go lookin for a fight. That's totally ridiculous. I think if you do some research in that area, which there have been plenty of articles, you'll find it's exactly the opposite. If anything, we're more polite generally than the average person. We don't go looking for a fight...I certainly don't. You think that all of us have some unquenched desire to kill or cause maher because we carry a gun? I certainly never want to be in that position, but u carry to protect myself and those I love. I dread the prospect of ever having to use it and avoid dangerous situations and conversations more vigilantly. Your assertion sounds like a load of sh1t to me.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #70
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Still, one death amongst millions of movie show times since aurora and the gun grabbers will be screaming that this is cause to ban guns from movie theaters, etc.
I'd be satisfied if we could finally admit to ourselves that more guns is not the solution.

One dead father of a 3-year-old today. Two months ago, another completely senseless death much closer to home:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
A guy I know got killed two weeks ago by his friend in the middle of the street after leaving a club together. Witnesses say they got in an argument. 27 year old kid. College graduate. Executive position. Down in town for a wedding. Shot in the chest four times by his own friend.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...rsburg/2151698
So, yes, there's one death here and another there, and that's just what's in close proximity and/or people I know. A woman I worked with on a daily basis was shot and killed by the husband she was separated from.

So, yes, I get the updates on facebook of a burglary prevented and a criminal shot here and there, but I don't know of any cases in my area that are personally connected to me. I know of several cases where people died or got shot at for no good reason, where guns weren't even the least bit helpful in diffusing the situation.

Quote:
If you're honest with yourself, a movie theater is a place that most gun owners who carry daily would prefer to carry in/make it high priority. A) it's been a past target (Aurora). B). They're death traps if an active murdering maniac gets in. They have one way out basically, they have limited cover or space in which to be able to move and escape. They're dark. Honestly, you're a sitting duck when you're in there.
This mentality confounds me. Not only are the odds of another similar attack infinitely small, but the odds of anyone being able to make a difference in such a situation are tiny as well. Second, if you're that fvcking scared of going to a movie theater, stick to Netflix.

Yes, I know, JonJon carries Lara Croft's survival pack to the movie theater. He can set up a turret, dig a tunnel and purify his own piss within 3 seconds of a fired shot.

Last edited by 'busa; 01-14-2014 at 07:38 AM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #71
'busa

Quote:
No point in having the gun if you don't have it when you need it. Movie theaters have been a target in the past and they're not isolated from stupid and crazy people, as evidenced by this very story.
We need more guns to defend us from people with guns.

Quote:
We carry guns just like our cell phones; it's part of our daily wardrobe. And because it's concealed, you and the rest of the population generally don't know that the guy next to you eating popcorn is strapped.
Until you text before a movie even starts, get in an argument, get separated from you significant other. Then you might find out that someone has a gun.

Quote:
You're going to be in a pretty tough position to dictate otherwise where people can carry. The philosophy of most of us who carry is that it's better be judged by 6-12 than carried by 6. A sign probably won't deter people from doing it, certainly not maniacs looking to do harm.
Maybe so. But the idea that more guns = more safety just doesn't compute.

Quote:
And one more thing. Regarding your assertion that concealed carry people are more arrogant or macho or go lookin for a fight. That's totally ridiculous. I think if you do some research in that area, which there have been plenty of articles, you'll find it's exactly the opposite. If anything, we're more polite generally than the average person. We don't go looking for a fight...I certainly don't. You think that all of us have some unquenched desire to kill or cause maher because we carry a gun? I certainly never want to be in that position, but u carry to protect myself and those I love. I dread the prospect of ever having to use it and avoid dangerous situations and conversations more vigilantly. Your assertion sounds like a load of sh1t to me.
So, you think you'll ever need to use it?
Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #72
OOMPH!

My Ride: '04 M3, '89 325is
DEATH penalty for Granpa!!!!!!!!!!

SOLD
OOMPH! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #73
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
So if I read the article correctly the wife/gf of the aggressor was shot in the hand.

You have to ask why is that. Was she trying to catch the bullet? Or, more likely, was she trying to restrain her 280 pound husband/bf from pounding the living **** out of this 71 year old man?

Oulsen could have snapped the retired officer in two.

Good shoot.

Just my .02. Hope I'm never in the same situation.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #74
'busa

And this guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
So if I read the article correctly the wife/gf of the aggressor was shot in the hand.

You have to ask why is that. Was she trying to catch the bullet? Or, more likely, was she trying to restrain her 280 pound husband/bf from pounding the living **** out of this 71 year old man?

Good shoot.

...is the reason why this guy...
Quote:
Regarding your assertion that concealed carry people are more arrogant or macho or go lookin for a fight. That's totally ridiculous. I think if you do some research in that area, which there have been plenty of articles, you'll find it's exactly the opposite. If anything, we're more polite generally than the average person. We don't go looking for a fight...I certainly don't. You think that all of us have some unquenched desire to kill or cause maher because we carry a gun? I certainly never want to be in that position, but u carry to protect myself and those I love. I dread the prospect of ever having to use it and avoid dangerous situations and conversations more vigilantly. Your assertion sounds like a load of sh1t to me.
...is hard to believe.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #75
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
make the theater a gun free zone, problem solved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Yeah, I'll bet a bunch were killed in Chicago and DC. Wait, no, I'm lying. Those are gun free zones. Just like movie theatres.
and drug free zones too

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #76
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post

Good shoot.

^ An ex cop who was trained to handle this type of situation should have known better than to shoot him fatally in the chest without any physical contact. If he was truly just scared and using the gun as self defense I think just pulling it out and threatening to shoot him in a movie theater could have shut him up pretty quickly especially since he had a daughter to raise and his wife next to him. I would drop an argument in a theater pretty quickly if I thought my family was in danger.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #77
choxor

My Ride: JDM
It's so good that we know all the facts.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #78
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I seriously laughed at this

Lol thx

Edit: I read it without the "founding". Did you edit it?
Funny retracted
Frowny face =(

But we all know the real problem here.

The theater was a cell-phone free zone.

But was it a popcorn-hando free zone?

Last edited by Zell; 01-14-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #79
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
It's so good that we know all the facts.
what facts? there was a gun involved so now these idiots have something to debate.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #80
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Wild speculation fuels OT. The spice must flow.