E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
AquilaBMW

My Ride: 325i Convertible
Thumbs Up Hello E46 World - Newbie to the Model

Hi There All - I recently joined the E46 world with a 2003 325Ci. The car is great, it is my first 6 Cylinder car and I am actually enjoying it compared to the V8s I usually drive. I got the car at a steal - it has SES light for a vacuum leak, the ABS lights are on and I suspect the sensors are bad / dirty, and of course the top actually stopped working a week before I bought it.

I have already been reading about the failure of the top on the E46 convertible and there is a good amount of information available on how to fix it. Some designs from BMW just defy reason. They did similar on the E34 touring where the hinge was wearing out the wiring harness. I will be getting into the repair soon.

On the ABS / Brake lights - does the E46 have the same type of Speed Sensors and such on the wheel hubs like the E39 and E38 models? The PO's mechanic claims it was the brake pad wear sensors causing the ABS / Brake lights to be on - is that possible / true?

On Vacuum leaks - I will first be reading the codes to see what is showing up and then will dive in. I believe this car has an M54 engine, so any pointer you care to share would be great.

Thanks!
AquilaBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Trevor330Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Trevor330Ci Send a message via Skype™ to Trevor330Ci
Welcome, I'm glad your enjoying your E46. With good care/maintenance you will continue to enjoy it!

On the ABS light. I would say clean all the wear sensors. That might be the problem. If not then check your brake pads. Or replace the Sensors

On the Vacuum leaks, just get the codes and go from there!

Sucks that your top isn't working

01' 330Ci Vert
-Angel Eyes
-Eagle Eyes
-HID Fogs
-K&N Intake
-Refreshed Cooling System
-Smoked Wheels
-LED Interior
-(2) 10" Pioneer Subs
-JBL Audio751Watts Amp
-Kenwood 6.75" Front Mid Bass
-Kenwood 5.25" Rear Mid Bass
-Infinity 1'' Rear Tweeters
-Smoked Side Markers
-Clear Corners
-Magnaflow Exhaust
Trevor330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
AquilaBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor330Ci View Post
Welcome, I'm glad your enjoying your E46. With good care/maintenance you will continue to enjoy it!

On the ABS light. I would say clean all the wear sensors. That might be the problem. If not then check your brake pads. Or replace the Sensors

On the Vacuum leaks, just get the codes and go from there!

Sucks that your top isn't working
Hi Trevor - Thanks! I am actually impressed with the car. It's a fun drive.

I will need to catch up on the maintenance, so there is a few hundred dollar order in process for it! LOL!

I will replace the Pad Sensors and see if that clears the lights, I will of course also scan it with INPA to see what codes are being reported. Would love to get that silly top working as we are experiencing surprising warm weather here in the Bay Area at the moment.

I'll report the codes once I have them - I am new to the M54 so I am learning along the way.

By the way, how were you able to update with the Angel Eyes on your car? I am interested in doing this and possible cleaning and polishing the lenses on the car too.

Cheers,

Michael
Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Trevor330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
Hi Trevor - Thanks! I am actually impressed with the car. It's a fun drive.

I will need to catch up on the maintenance, so there is a few hundred dollar order in process for it! LOL!

I will replace the Pad Sensors and see if that clears the lights, I will of course also scan it with INPA to see what codes are being reported. Would love to get that silly top working as we are experiencing surprising warm weather here in the Bay Area at the moment.

I'll report the codes once I have them - I am new to the M54 so I am learning along the way.

By the way, how were you able to update with the Angel Eyes on your car? I am interested in doing this and possible cleaning and polishing the lenses on the car too.

Cheers,

Michael

Bro just buy some new lens its so worth it. You should post some pics of your car? I got my Angel Eyes from Umnitza.com i havent had a problem with them at all!

01' 330Ci Vert
-Angel Eyes
-Eagle Eyes
-HID Fogs
-K&N Intake
-Smoked Wheels
-LED Interior
-(2) 10" Pioneer Subs
-JBL Audio751Watts Amp
-Smoked Side Markers
-Clear Corners
-Magnaflow Exhaust

Last edited by Trevor330Ci; 01-15-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
AquilaBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor330Ci View Post
Bro just buy some new lenses its so worth it. You should post some pics of your car? I got my Angel Eyes from Umnitza.com i havent had a problem with them at all!
Did you get lenses from Umnitza as well? Or where did you get them from?

Here is the car - not the best pictures yet.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Welcome. Buy new lenses? Not sure what that post means, those are a thousand dollars plus. You bake open your lenses to loosen the glue, then install the AEs (Umnitza in my case). Then close it back up. You can't remove the lenses on a vert/coupe, only on a sedan. Do a search and you'll find DIYs or find someone to do it for you.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 01-15-2014 at 02:08 PM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Trevor330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Welcome. Buy new lenses? Not sure what that post means, those are a thousand dollars plus. You bake open your lenses to loosen the glue, then install the AEs (Umnitza in my case). Then close it back up. You can't remove the lenses on a vert/coupe, only on a sedan. Do a search and you'll find DIYs or find someone to do it for you.

New clear headlight lens?
Like these?

http://www.khoalty.com/headlight-lens-replacement.html

I removed my lens on my vert? no problem?

01' 330Ci Vert
-Angel Eyes
-Eagle Eyes
-HID Fogs
-K&N Intake
-Smoked Wheels
-LED Interior
-(2) 10" Pioneer Subs
-JBL Audio751Watts Amp
-Smoked Side Markers
-Clear Corners
-Magnaflow Exhaust
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
johnrando

Oh! My bad. You are talking non-facelift. I'm talking facelift. What a great treat to be able to change lenses like that!

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
We offer lenses as well if you are interested.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
AquilaBMW

Thanks guys (Hi Matt - I gotta stop by one of these days). I will look into the lens situation soon. I gotta sort out mechanical / driving issues on the car first. It got pretty interesting today with the car.

I was able to finally scan it with INPA and run a diagnostic on the DME and other area of the car like the convertible top. I got 8 errors on the DME and a few on the top. Here are the reports:

143 - Tank Leak Diagnosis

142 - Module Failure DMTL

2 - Ignition Cyl. 4

188 - Lambda Probe Upstream Sensor 1

238 - Burning Fail Cyl. 1

242 - Burning Fail Cyl. 5

243 - Burning Fail Cyl. 6

239 - Burning Fail Cyl. 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to clear all the codes - they all went away. I then ran the car in park for another ten minutes while checking the status on a number of items. The SES light was out and did not come back. While checking status on INPA, the only items that showed any flags were the O2 sensors - which were in the Red. I am guessing this relates to the Lambda Probe Error I got. The alternator read a healthy 13.5+v while the car was running. Idle RPM was +/- 700 RPMs and coolant temp was in operating range.

Cylinder roughness readings were also healthy on the engine. I have been reading up on the DMTL module issue with these cars and it seems they do go bad and that there was even a BMW recall on them at one point - at least on some models. I will see if the code comes back and the figure it out.

After scanning the DME and clearing the codes, I then scanned the "Body / Chassis" and checked on the inoperative convertible top. Here are the errors I got:

18 - Switch Open Permanently Active

19 - Switch Close Permanently Active

23 - Petentiometer Main Column at Ground

100 - Main Column Dosn't Push Tightening Frame Out of Soft Top Box.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any ideas what these codes mean? And what do I need to do to fix this? Thanks.

After clearing the codes, I took a 100 mile trip with the car. I sadly noticed the transmission seems to slip a bit and shudder sometimes. I am going to try a transmission service to try to fix this. Also... later that day, I was getting vibration while driving which seemed to be under the car. I will have to jack it up and look under there. I wonder if it is the Guibo Joint that is bad.

I took the car to a smog shop and amazingly, it almost passed. Only reason it failed was because the OBDII was not ready to be tested. I had just cleared the codes and it had not been driven enough to re-initiate the OBD - DAMN!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #11
AquilaBMW

Someone asked for pics of the car... here ya go:

Old 02-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #12
AquilaBMW

Well... good news. I replaced the DMTL pump and the car has now passed CA Smog and is registered. Also just completed a 800 mile round-trip with her and no issues.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #13
Antti

My Ride: E46 325i ///Mpackage
Hi and welcome! I am following your troubleshooting with roof.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
johnrando

Congrats. Nice car.