E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
Speaker question.

I bought infinity kappa 629i 6.5 inch speakers for the front doors. They come with a crossover box used to connect the wires. I connected the wires to the crossover box. Is that a no no since the signal is crissovered from the dactory amp. Oh, hk system. The speakers sound good but at 2/3 volume with little over halfway bass, they distort. Im pissed. Should I cut off the crossover and connect the mires normally? This is pissing me off. I've used kappas before in mg other cars and I love them. They never came with thd crossover box though

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Cayne23

No thoughts?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
nominal speaker impedance? I believe the HK speakers are 3 Ohms. Are the Kappa's 4 Ohms? ... although that should make them less likely to distort, and quieter.
Yeah, omit the crossover. It is worth a try. I assume this crossover has tweeter connections as well? If those are not connected, maybe that is tweaking the impedance or something... I'm not too bright concerning crossovers.
But, yeah, the amp is already crossedover (if that is such a thing) so the signal to the speaker should need no further modification... let us know.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Cayne23

They are 2 ohm impedence. Coaxial speakers so the tweeter is attached. They brag about the woven fiber woofer that wont distort, yea right. I just wonder if the signal coming from the amp is what its supposed to be, then the infinity crossover is messing with that signal. I shouldnt have to run a seperate amp for these speakers. I dont want it louder, just clearer

Old 01-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Cayne23

Oh, and the infinity crossover only has a + and - on it

Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
HK amp is 3 ohm, your speakers are 2 ohm. The lower impedance causes the amp to work harder, which is probably affecting your sound quality. Ideally you want to err on the side of higher ohm speakers to protect your amp.

There is an entire forum on this site dedicated to audio. You'll get better answers there. There are many great threads with options for speakers that work with the HK system.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Cayne23

Ok well after some reading, im going to cut off the infinity crossovers on my new speakers. Ive read, like I thought, the crossovered signal coming fom the hk amp and then going through another crossover is messing up the speaker. Its because the range between the two crossovers sre probably different

Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
They brag about the woven fiber woofer that wont distort, yea right.
FWIW, the CF cones probably are not distorting or causing harmonic distortion which is one characteristic of distortion, it is most likely the amplified signal being sent to them, or they are being underpowered.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
FWIW, the CF cones probably are not distorting or causing harmonic distortion which is one characteristic of distortion, it is most likely the amplified signal being sent to them, or they are being underpowered.
Agreed. AFAIK havig a couple crossovers is not going to cause distortion. Crossovers filter the signal, filtering it multiple times shouldn't introduce distortion.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Cayne23

What is AFAIK? Lol. So you're saying that I need more power for them? ****. Idont want to have to buy an amp and I cant return them because i cut the speaker basket a little in 2 places so the factory mounting bracket would work

Old 01-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
Cayne23

So for kappas I need an amp? Great. I have 429i 4 inch for the rears that I havent put in yet. What wattage amp should I use?

Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
taylor192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayne23 View Post
What is AFAIK? Lol. So you're saying that I need more power for them? ****. Idont want to have to buy an amp and I cant return them because i cut the speaker basket a little in 2 places so the factory mounting bracket would work
AFAIK = as far as I know

You need to read up on ohms and watts. Running a lower ohm speaker (in this case 2ohm where the amp expects 3ohm) causes the amp to output more power since the amp sees less resistance. This causes the amp to work harder, which can introduce problems.

You should have done more research before purchasing. Upgrading the HK system is not simple plug and play thanks to the 3 ohm speakers the crazy germans chose.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
Cayne23

I did research and read that the factory wiring will carry about 1 ohm resistance. These are true 4 ohm speakers.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Cayne23

So adding more power to.them will make them sound better? They are 75w rms. I guess the factory amp isnt putting enough wattage

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
the factory amp is garbage. i ran a 250x2 amp for 2 front speakers 2 tweeters and it was more than enough. nice bass and mids, highs were crisp. i ran some focal speakers

when i ran an aftermarket amp, i tapped into the speakers BEFORE it went into the HK amp and left the factory amp powering the rear speakers. crossovers were installed by the amp in the trunk for a clean install.

Last edited by itscoo2pyopants; 01-17-2014 at 06:07 PM.
itscoo2pyopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
Cayne23

Yea im gonna take my 300w 2 channel amp and my l o c out of my daohhters car ( it used to be mine) the sub is coming out of there too. I have a 12inch infinity sub in there. gonna connect to the + and - L and R signal from the HU before the amp. Right in the wire harness. I read the long post of every wire

Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Cayne23

Then I'll connect the door woofer wires to my new amp. Just gonna cut off the wires where they come out of the factory amp and connect to my mew amp. That way I wont have to run new wires to the speakers. With the wifes approval, im gonna buy a little 4 channel 100w4 amp. She said its worth not having to hear our daughter b!tch about taking things out of her car, lol

Old 01-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
Cayne23

Crap, the infinity kappa 429i 4 inch speakers wont fit. Theyre 4 inch, but the hk speakers are really 5 1/8 inch, if youre measuring the basket. Now I gotta deal with returning these things to amazon, fun