E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Why is a german guy asking questions about a german car from Americans?
Things that make you go hmmm.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
I have style 119 rims and have been running them with 225/45/17 tires for almost 4 years with no problems because bmw recommends that size.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #23
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
OP, bmw is a stiff car to begin with... replacing suspension components will not soften anything but actually the opposite.

Unless you feel or hear or see worn parts, don't do any replacing, especially at your kms. I'd wait another 50,000km before doing the major parts.

Going from 17-18" is not too big of a difference but if you are lowered or plan to lower the car, stick to 17 to avoid rim damage and softer ride.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #24
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Your tire selection, and air pressure, will have the biggest effect. I like having the same wheels and tires all around. Car seems more balanced this way. And you can rotate front to rear. But I have not experimented much
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #25
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
IDK, I disagree with some of you about 17s vs 18s.

I was in the same position. My car felt really rough with the 18" heavy 135s. I first changed the suspension with new koni struts/shocks on full soft. The ride did feel much better. Two days later, I put 17s on and the ride was WAYYYY better. The smaller wheels had more of an influence on ride quality than the suspension refresh... Both sets of tires were running proper tire pressure and the sidewalls were actually stiffer on the 17s (which were bridgestone tires versus the soft sidewalls of hankook tires on my 18 inch wheels).

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
zashata

My Ride: BMW E46 320d
@BeMyWhip: I am not a german, I simply live here..I do not know many of the techical terms in german, so this is why I am posting here..

According to my question: I would probably move down from m135s to styling 119 for the summer, to see wheather it will be more comfortable. I think also that the car's performance will be better (power) with the 225 agaist the 255 in the rear
zashata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #27
ElrichMeister

My Ride: 06 325Ci M56
going from m135s to the 119 should give better performance since they are probably lighter.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #28
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zashata View Post
@BeMyWhip: I am not a german, I simply live here..I do not know many of the techical terms in german, so this is why I am posting here..

According to my question: I would probably move down from m135s to styling 119 for the summer, to see wheather it will be more comfortable. I think also that the car's performance will be better (power) with the 225 agaist the 255 in the rear
Just ignore BeMyWhip.

He's kind of......

Well, just read his threads.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #29
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Square setup on 17s with some Michelins are the optimum config for the e46 platform. 18s are too big and heavy for the car. Think unsprung weight. Style 119s are among the lightest 17s around.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #30
330ism

My Ride: 2004 330I ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernate View Post
IDK, I disagree with some of you about 17s vs 18s.

I was in the same position. My car felt really rough with the 18" heavy 135s. I first changed the suspension with new koni struts/shocks on full soft. The ride did feel much better. Two days later, I put 17s on and the ride was WAYYYY better. The smaller wheels had more of an influence on ride quality than the suspension refresh... Both sets of tires were running proper tire pressure and the sidewalls were actually stiffer on the 17s (which were bridgestone tires versus the soft sidewalls of hankook tires on my 18 inch wheels).
If you want to part with your 135's I'm so interested in them

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #31
SPL15

My Ride: 01 325i Auto :/
I have 16" stock rims w/ soft mushy snow tires on for the winter, and have 18" rims & 'summer only' performance tires, for the same overall diameter as the 16" set, for summer; I do notice a difference in ride quality, slightly harsher / firmer, but the time I only really notice the difference is the day or two after swapping the tires. It really is not bad at all in my opinion.

One thing to note though, a larger rim size & stiff walled tires appears to bring out any issues in worn out suspension components in the front end... I've noticed this on my previous E36 M3 & my current E46 325i. Bought both cars with seemingly tight front ends w/ the stock rims; after about 500 or so miles on the 18" rims, I started having to replace suspension parts in the front end due to clunking over bumps. Could be due to the reduced 'give' of the larger rim set, which the suspension now needs to absorb, but I'm guess my driving style on the pot-holed roads in Michigan has a whole lot to do with things wearing out quickly...
Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 PM   #32
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I have run quite a lot if different wheels, 17's to 19's, staggered/square, and ranging in weight from as little as 14.x pounds to 28.x pounds per wheel. Similarly, I have had quite a few different suspension setups, from stock to aftermarket strut/shock+spring combo and near a dozen or so different coilovers (and the list of the all the suspension components, ie bushings/bearings/mounts, F/R control arms, and so forth would be beyond the scope of this message). Also, while I prefer, and usually "stick" to Michelin Pilot Sport 2/Super Sports/Cups, I have used a fair amount of different tires (BFG KDW2 T/A, ContiSport Contact 2/3, Toyo Proxes4/RA1/888, Hankook V12, Bridgestone RE11/RE050/RE01A, and such; Oh, have Michelin Pilot A/S3's on the 325i currently, and I think they're the only "all season" in existence that's not a pile of poo).
That's across four cars, all E46's and all very different in modification level, usage, capabilities, engine, option packages, and so forth.
This is not including cars no longer in my possession.
I have found that there are very few E46's that have a fully working suspension after 60k miles, and by 90k the dampers are beyond dead, and the environmentally friendly rubber used to make the suspension bushings and drivetrain mounts has deteriorated.

The problem is that the suspension degrades slowly over time, so there's no one day it's good then the next it's shot, instead, it's impossible to perceive the change as its happening. The best way, even for people who are heavily focused on suspension perfection like myself, to tell if you have blown dampers is to simply get into the same model car that has BRAND NEW ones, and ideally drive it but at least ride in it. Also, Park the two next to each other, stand behind and between them, put a hand on the top corner closest you of each car's trunk/quarter panel (above the tail lights), and lean forward w all your body weight equally distributed between both arms, forcing the rear dampers to compress. Then remove your hands and watch. Do the same but push as hard and as quickly as possible, and watch.
You will see the old car is bouncy, and takes longer to return to a motionless state, while the new car is able to become motionless almost instantly. Now, imagine what happens when a few thousand pounds of force act on the vehicle, instead of the maybe 100 lbs you are able to impress upon it.

Stiff and harsh DOES NOT mean good handling, just FYI.

Also, tires are part of the suspension.

If you are going to switch to 17's, go with the M68's. They're excellent wheels, and one of the lightest wheels BMW has ever made in that size. You will remove 8 or 9 pounds per corner just from the wheels, I don't remember the exact weights but the 135's are extremely heavy 18's while the M68's are extremely light 17's. Assuming my numbers are right, that's 32-36lbs OR MORE of unsprung weight loss. The general equivalent to horsepower is 1lb = 0.85hp, or the equivalent to sprung weight (anything that is held up by the suspension, so 85-90 percent of the car) is 1lb unsprung = 9-10lb sprung.
However, reducing unsprung weight improves EVERY aspect of a cars performance, improving:
Ride quality
Forward Acceleration
Braking
Handling (lateral acceleration, responsiveness to input)
Traction
Component lifespan increased
Tire wear reduced

Anyway, that's what I have for ya... And remember, you cannot tell a suspension is bad from a visual inspection 98pct of the time, and unless you have a SIGNIFICANT amount of experience with many different models of BMW, you are very unlikely to notice anything wrong unless you are doing a direct comparison (riding in both on the same road back to back, for example).

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320cd, comfort, ride