E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
DSP001

My Ride: 05 e46 M3 ZCP
Taking the Plunge - SMG RaceCar build

Okay Here it goes, I'm taking the plunge,

I've torn out the entire inside and begun the process of making a race car.

The car is at the fabricator, they are installing the subframe
reinforcement kit and the 10 point cage.

All the bushing are being replaced, installing the lower adjustable arms

I've already installed AST 4150s Coil Overs,
I'm going with Hotchkiss from and rear sway bars.

I was looking at going with the complete CF roof replacement, but the price per weight loss, is not enough to really make it worth it. After you pull the sun roof, the weight of the sheet metal of the roof is about 20 lbs, and the weight of the CF roof is about 10 pounds. I'm going to to use a CF plug.

I was looking for different headers for the car, most people say that SuperSprint is the best at making the most power, its also the most expensive. Some people say that SuperSprint sucks. The interesting part, is when racing cars, most of the time is the classes are defined by Power-Weight ratio. This means that most race cars detune their motors to sit properly in a specific class, like GT4. So, some say the idea of getting the best exhaust possible is dumb, because you need to detune the car anyway. Interested in hearing what you guys think???

My thoughts is to go big, get the SuperSprint, and get the car detuned through Evolve Software. The idea is that the car will not be running as Hot, maybe it will function better over the long term.

I don't care about looks as much, I care about efficient use of weight.
Some people go for the 3.5inch exhaust all the way back. But, unless you go FI, I've always been told that if you remove all back pressure, you can actually reduce HP. Thoughts? Ideas? Not sure about this one...

Electronics? Does anybody have any idea about what in the harnesses that can be removed. Most people are too chicken to remove anything from the harness, thinking that the removal of anything may freak out the ECU or the SMG ECU and prevent the engine from running or prevent the tranny from going into gear, or shifting. What can I remove from the car while maintaining the car's proper operation? Out of fear, I've been told to keep the entire harness interacted and coiled under the dash. This is insane, but I need some help to determine what I can pull and what I can't.

I'm trying to figure out what spring rates should be run in the car? Is there a formula which can be used to determine the proper spring rates?

thanks for your thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	542813  

Last edited by DSP001; 01-15-2014 at 08:52 PM.
DSP001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Subscribed!
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
You get more answers on BF and M3F Track subforums.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #4
DSP001

My Ride: 05 e46 M3 ZCP
M3F Track Subforum?? Where is that?
DSP001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
Sub'd!

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote