E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
AlecSE46

My Ride: BMW E46 323i
Meyle rotors?

Been Planning on doing a Brake service and since my rear brakes are completely shot I figured why not go and do the whole shibang front and back.

I was thinking turner motor sports because I thought they would be the cheapest place to go but when I came along the part of actually picking the certain pads and rotors etc just picking the standard pads raised the price 100 bucks! Not to mention shipping.

So i've decided to go with ECS tuning. Full service kit front and back for 289 without shipping. The only thing is The rotors in the Kit are Meyle.

Now I did do some research and the only topic That really had a lot of hits was someone pointing out these rotors were made in china. As if China was Cambodia. I totally understand china is built solely upon industry so I don't really care as long as QC was kept in check.

Later on though he goes to say how about 5 months down the road they were already wobbling upon heavy breaking? Idk what to think about them. I mean there cheap, so they gotta be cheap for a reason right? I want to get them but I don't know.

any help? thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
They're likely wobbling due to poor pad selection.

My friend has Meyle rotors on his M3. still good after several years of hard use

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
They're likely wobbling due to poor pad selection.
How can pads influence brake rotor "wobble"?
Old 01-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
anacondatcu

My Ride: 2000 328i
Need to have a clean hub face for rotor to sit flat. Any rust left will cause lateral runout which is felt as pedal pulsation. Rotor appears to have a wobble.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
anacondatcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
How can pads influence brake rotor "wobble"?
I've detailed this in another thread before and may use this in a "guide," but in short: overheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacondatcu View Post
Need to have a clean hub face for rotor to sit flat. Any rust left will cause lateral runout which is felt as pedal pulsation. Rotor appears to have a wobble.

what you say is true about runout, but i can't see "rust" causing that unless it was sitting for years or months without use. brand new rotors would have surface rust at best and would be wiped away going around the block once.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
I installed Meyle rotors paired up with Akebono brake pads for fronts.
Since this was just a month ago, so I don't have long-term feedback, but loving it so far.

Someone was worried about lack of initial bite of Akebono pads, which I can notice as well, but to be honest, It's not worrisome to me.

You can get everything listed by ECS from BMAparts which comes down to $265 and free shipping. (apply discount code specE30)

Last edited by white46; 01-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
white46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #7
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post
Since this was just a month ago, so I don't have long-term feedback, but loving it so far.

Someone was worried about lack of initial bite of Akebono pads, which I can notice as well, but to be honest, It's not worrisome to me.

You can get everything listed by ECS from BMAparts which comes down to $265 and free shipping. (apply discount code specE30)
Have the same setup on my car for 6 months. Only downside is I get a slight clicking sound occasionally when braking at slow speeds. Will be switching back to Textar after these just for the sake of it.
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
[QUOTE=white46;15945864]I installed Meyle rotors paired up with Akebono brake pads for fronts.

You can get everything listed by ECS from BMAparts which comes down to $265 and free shipping. (apply discount code

I purchased a complete brake kit which included Akebono pads, so I installed them. My first impression, the initial bite sucks. Getting a set of semi-metallics soon.

always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
anacondatcu

My Ride: 2000 328i
I'm not talking about rust in the face of the rotor where pads grip. That's true I don't see that contributing to runout. I mean between rotor and hub where rotor sits if that makes sense. Even .002" runout on a hub will be magnified to a larger runout at the edge of the rotor.

Sliding calipers can slide and account for this so it won't be felt at first when freshly installed. However after time once water and dust and dirt get inside making the lube less effective the runout will start to be felt

anacondatcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
The caliper slide pins on these cars don't supposed to be lubed anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
what you say is true about runout, but i can't see "rust" causing that unless it was sitting for years or months without use. brand new rotors would have surface rust at best and would be wiped away going around the block once.

He's talking about underneath the rotor hat to wheel hub interface, not the braking surface. It's customary practice to hit the hub face with a wire wheel and a thin layer of antisieze prior to mounting new rotors. Rust on the hub can create runout.

Overtorqued lug nuts can make problems too.

If it were me I would substitute the Zimmermanns in with that kit. OPs concern about QC is precisely why. Chinese QC is simply not consistent.

But 289 all around is a tempting number.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
He's talking about underneath the rotor hat to wheel hub interface, not the braking surface. It's customary practice to hit the hub face with a wire wheel and a thin layer of antisieze prior to mounting new rotors. Rust on the hub can create runout.

If it were me I would substitute the Zimmermanns in with that kit. OPs concern about QC is precisely why. Chinese QC is simply not consistent.

I talked with ECS about the Meyle rotors, and they said they've gotten excellent feedback from them and sell a lot of them. It's likely the Vaico pads, because OP says it happens under hard braking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #13
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post

oh of course. i talk about this all the time over the years on vibration threads.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
I got Meyle rotors and Akebono Euro Ceramics put in 2 months ago. Quiet as hell, no dust, brake feel is great. Little less bite but for street driving, I couldn't be happier, especially when it cost me $310 for everything lol.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
AlecSE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by white46 View Post

Thank you for this. Will take ADVANTAGE :pippin:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
AlecSE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueandwhite85 View Post
Have the same setup on my car for 6 months. Only downside is I get a slight clicking sound occasionally when braking at slow speeds. Will be switching back to Textar after these just for the sake of it.
what do you believe is causing this ticking sound? the rotors or pads?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
AlecSE46

Hmmmmmm All this conversation and i've only been gone 2 hours really interesting though... Please continue!

In terms of dust accumulated.. Is this due to poor pad quality or rotors themselves?
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSE46 View Post
what do you believe is causing this ticking sound? the rotors or pads?
pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecSE46 View Post
Hmmmmmm All this conversation and i've only been gone 2 hours really interesting though... Please continue!

In terms of dust accumulated.. Is this due to poor pad quality or rotors themselves?
its due to pad compound.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #19
AlecSE46

Im really thinking about the Meyles with better pads maybe? I don't care to much about initial bite as long as they can slow me down once i get going. Although if someone pulls in my way and i need to hit the brakes I see why bite is important.. You guys really got me thinking.

Last edited by AlecSE46; 01-16-2014 at 02:00 PM.
AlecSE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
AlecSE46

Quote:
pads

its due to pad compound.
What do you think are Decent but not to expensive pads?

I don't go crazy, just the occasional spirited driving.