E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Cbibbss

My Ride: 2003 325i
need wheel suggestions ASAP

Hey all. Looking to buy some wheels for my TiAg 2003 325i. I have searched around and found the typical VMR's, CSL reps, LM's, etc. I am within weeks of being on coils, so preferred 18's, please. I want something different, but tasteful. My price limit is close to 1500$. I'm open to all suggestions, and if you could post pictures with the name, it would be great.
Cbibbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
One of the two or three wheels I'd ever consider is the LTW-5. Been wanting them for years and years. Over the stock M68s, they'l give you a bit of weight savings at the expense of looks. It looks slightly too trackish for my tastes but i may do it one day if i get bored.

Of course if you are going for the stanced and donked look with racelands or other similar c/os, then forget it and just get some chrome spinnas.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
The new VMR V810 is nice looking

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...eries-VMR-V810

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

^they're neat looking. but it seems like stock is the new modded. everyone and their mom seems to throw on csl replicas on their e46. i'd be mad if i were a real CSL wheel owner (cough*alex323ci*cough)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
^they're neat looking. but it seems like stock is the new modded. everyone and their mom seems to throw on csl replicas on their e46. i'd be mad if i were a real CSL wheel owner (cough*alex323ci*cough)
It's because they look damn good. It's like an oxford button down shirt for cars. It always looks good.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

It looks good. But when everyone's wearing an oxford button down shirt, its lost its magic.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I've been thinking about some Apex Arc-8s in a conservative 17x8.5 square. But only if I can't find some style 119s. Style 45s are borin'. 18s are too heavy and will turn the already firm ride to sh*t.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 01-17-2014 at 03:47 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Sportline CS.16's are, in my opinion, the best of the best when it comes to CSL reps. I do believe they're flow-forged, but regardless they are almost perfect replicas of the real thing, are very strong, and best of all, they're incredibly light for any given size; I would say that the 19's have probably the best weight to cost ratio out there! I would recommend a set in either 18x8.5et35 and 18x9.5 et38 or et44, but if you want to fill those wheel wells, the 19x8.5/9.5 are just 20.x pounds each, and less than a grand per set.

APEX ARC-8, well, I can't really add anything to the countless things already said. Simply put, function and form meet, have little wheel babies, who grow up to be ARC-8's. I love the combination of the more aggressive offset 18x8.5/9 and 18x9/9.5, depending on the look and feel you want.

D-Force LTW5's are pure function, but the low cost does come at a cost, which is strength. The only wheel I've seen fail more frequently attthe track are Kosei K1's.

I think VMR wheels look very nice, but the long and short of it is that they simply are too heavy for any given size. They are purely an aesthetic modification, and in many cases aren't just neutral in their affects on performance, they actually adversely affect every aspect of the car.
Wheels, being the quintessential example of unsprung weight (anything not held up by the suspension, in particular anything not damped, is unsprung weight), and I find that every 1 pound of unsprung weight removed is equivalent to about 0.85 horsepower, or about 9lbs of sprung weight; therefore, while going from say 26lb wheels to 20lb wheels may seem like "so what? 24lbs? Big deal...", the effects are more pronounced than removing 180-200lbs of weight from the body of the car.
Furthermore, it's not just the acceleration that improves, but also: braking, handling (grip, response, "quickness" to follow input), efficiency, and ride quality are all improved the more you reduce unsprung weight. I was obsessed with this for a while, and went a ways to eliminate anything I could: custom made to order 12,000ton forged J-Line wheels (18x9f/10r and just 17.3-17.8lb per wheel; reduction of 36lbs), a number of BBK until settling on the StopTech Trophy Kit 4-wheel M3 setup on my 328Ci (M3 rear end, and front axles, = easy fitment ,and retrofit the M3 MS; "bare aluminum" anodized-finish monobloc calipers, 6-piston front and 4-piston rear, w 2-piece floating slotted rotors sized 355x34mm and 348mm front/rear; dropped off about 22-26lbs), replacing a number of metal suspension components during the (third) overhaul such as the front control arms, rear camber arms, sways (Hotchkis are not only the best IMHO, they're also less than half the weight of stock), and quite a few other pieces w aftermarket/lightened parts (Motorsports forged FCA's, TMS Adj RCA's, etc) for another 28lb drop, and even the wheel studs Saved me a total of 3.6lbs.
It may seem insignificant, but the effects are many times greater than the few hundred pounds dropped from the lightweight interior parts (Carbon/Kevlar seats @ 13lb each, CSL CF interior center/console+door cards+etc, and so forth), the extensive exterior Vorsteiner Diet (OEM M-Tech 2 F+R, BMW CF Clubsport Splitters, Vorsteiner dual-sided dry carbon GTR Hood + CSL Trunk/Roof + M3 Mirrors + MT2 Diffuser + side skirts; CF door handles, not such a wise purchase; all with the inner side left bare save for application of high temperature UV-proof clearcoat, external sides painted with Genuine BMW paint w only a few accents left exposed ie Hood Vents/Trunk Lip+Plate Area, but the splitters/roof/Diffuser were all just UV-proofed and left with bare weave).

Spent over ten thousand dollars for fewer benefits than you get from superlight wheels and brakes... Well, I don't regret it as I did lower t,he CoG quite a significant amount, and had I left the sprung weight alone, it would have been for the worse, with the 40lbs off the exhaustonly exacerbating the top heaviness.

AAnyway, sorry about the rant, I just wanted to really drill in the significance of wheels on the potential performance of a vehicle.

WWeight isn't the only concern, however.

An increase in diameter means a reduction of tire sidewall by the same amount, and generally speaking, lower profile tires hhave more iimmediate feedback, at the expense of some increased ride stiffness. However, the benefits typically stop at an xxx/35R-xx size, with anything smaller just having an exponentially increasing effect on ride quality degradation, and eventually a negative impact on handling.

Increase in width means that a greater contact patch can be made via the use of wider tires. The more contact, the greater the maximum possible traction (in the dry). The first time I went from 225f/245r on my 328Ci to 255f/265r had a tremendous impact on how much you CAN gain from increasing contact patch. The main benefits are better at limit adhesion, significantly improved braking, and superior traction under acceleration.

The difference between the front and rear widths, if it's present, is called running staggered wheels. The difference between front and rear can be as little as half an inch, is typically 1 inch on E46, and as much as 3.5" or more on some Porsche/Ferrari models.
A square setup means every corner is identical, and can mean wheels, tires, or both.
If you want to have a similar handling feel to stock, or have a significant increase in power, staggered is often the way to go. It promotes understeer.
For more neutral handling, you can run a very mild 0.5" stagger, or a square setup. With tire sizes just 10mm apart, say 235's front and 245's rear on 18x8f 8.5r, you can almost have the best of both worlds.
Square wheels, say 18x8.5 all around, can be tweaked from neutral by playing with front and rear tire sizes. YYou could run 225's all around, 245's all around, 235's front and 245's rear, and so forth.
One big benefit of square wheel/tire setups is the ability to truly rotate all tires, which can improve tire life 2-3x especially if running a very aggressive alignment (3* or more camber, more than 1/16th toe, etc) by "spreading the damage around".
I have gone through almost exactly 2 sets of rears for every set of fronts on both my built+blown 328Ci and my N/A M3.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
WDE46

Quote:
It looks good. But when everyone's wearing an oxford button down shirt, its lost its magic.
Yeah that's why it's a good comparison. It's a safe choice and a good one. It just isn't special.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
thecos

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
Great write up nleksan

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using BimmerApp mobile app
thecos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
:+1 on the square setup, thats what I have on my 325ci

Jurrian T. | Jurrian@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Nice looking wheel.

Quote:
One of the two or three wheels I'd ever consider is the LTW-5. Been wanting them for years and years. Over the stock M68s, they'l give you a bit of weight savings at the expense of looks. It looks slightly too trackish for my tastes but i may do it one day if i get bored.

Of course if you are going for the stanced and donked look with racelands or other similar c/os, then forget it and just get some chrome spinnas.
Another nice looking wheel....just not my style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
Sportline CS.16's are, in my opinion, the best of the best when it comes to CSL reps. I do believe they're flow-forged, but regardless they are almost perfect replicas of the real thing, are very strong, and best of all, they're incredibly light for any given size; I would say that the 19's have probably the best weight to cost ratio out there! I would recommend a set in either 18x8.5et35 and 18x9.5 et38 or et44, but if you want to fill those wheel wells, the 19x8.5/9.5 are just 20.x pounds each, and less than a grand per set.

APEX ARC-8, well, I can't really add anything to the countless things already said. Simply put, function and form meet, have little wheel babies, who grow up to be ARC-8's. I love the combination of the more aggressive offset 18x8.5/9 and 18x9/9.5, depending on the look and feel you want.

D-Force LTW5's are pure function, but the low cost does come at a cost, which is strength. The only wheel I've seen fail more frequently attthe track are Kosei K1's.
All nice looking.

I myself like the Beyern Spartan. http://www.beyernwheels.com/BMW_whee...rn_spartan.php

Wanted them ever since I laid eyes on them (they're hub-centric for BMWs too). I didn't want to lay out the money for them since they were twice what I put on my car. I can pull the trigger now if I want to but I'd rather put it into proper preventive maintenance at this point, so maybe later.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-20-2014 at 07:13 PM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #14
Cbibbss

My Ride: 2003 325i
I don't track the car, so weight is not a huge issue, although I don't want to ruin performance in any way. Any idea what 3sdm's (0.01/0.06 models)?
Cbibbss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
If you like the 0.01 check out the Miro111 weight on them for 18x8.5 is around 24lbs.

Jurrian T. | Jurrian@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #16
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
I think VMR wheels look very nice, but the long and short of it is that they simply are too heavy for any given size. They are purely an aesthetic modification, and in many cases aren't just neutral in their affects on performance, they actually adversely affect every aspect of the car.
While some of our wheel models are not the lightest option, they do tend to be lighter than factory wheels, while also being wider and larger in diameter. Additionally, if weight is a concern, our new flow-formed V810 is a great looking wheel that keeps the weight down. We're scheduled to receive our first shipment of 18" ones any day now, and they should be about 20 pounds per wheel roughly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vmrwhee...7636563494005/

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I lusted after the VMR 710 and VB3's for my 325 convertible. When it came time to actually retire the previous owners curb dashed Style 44's, I happened to find a near perfect set of Style 197's for $500. I'd start looking at the classified ads and look at the photo section for inspiration. The Style 189's are a beautiful set along with the 135's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.20.1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	543391  
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote