E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
chris10492

My Ride: 14 Camaro 06 R1
Exclamation Hi there! Need some help picking out my first firearm

Hey everyone, I finally got my Class A large capacity LTC! I just turned 21 on October and it came in the first week of January. I'm looking for my first firearm in the price range of 350~ (broke college kid problems)

I have a good friend that used to work for the army special forces for many years and now is doing border patrol. He has a lot of knowledge with firearms and has ~142 firearms!(he was in Vegas a couple days ago for the gun show!) he's going to be taking me to the range and teaching me things, since I still don't have a lot of knowledge with firearms yet. And he is an instructor as well.

I was talking to him about buying 2 pistols, one for the range (.22) and the other (9mm) for me to carry. I was telling him that I wanted a designated range one because of price for .22 ammo. He told me if I was going that route, I should go for the same 2 firearms, just different caliber due to them being almost identical when it comes to safety and muscle memory. In case of an emergency I don't confuse the 2 with it comes to the locations of the controls.

I've been looking around for the same firearm with different calibers but I just can't seem to find anything. Can you guys give me some input please!

What do you guys think of this?
http://www.slickguns.com/product/rug...ships-free-3cc

Last edited by chris10492; 01-17-2014 at 07:34 PM.
chris10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
if it were me, i would probably spend a little more to buy something a little more reliable, and not a .22 as a first home defense/carry pistol.

if you want two pistols my suggestions are a little bit more than you are looking to spend, but worth checking out. check out the smith and Wesson m&p22 and m&p9 or the walther p22 and ppq.
or if you just want the one, you could buy the 9mm, and get a .22 conversion kit for it. manufacturers like glock and sig have those options.

and it's good that you want to learn but make sure when you are training, you train with the weapon you plan on using for defense. it's fine to practice with the .22, but make sure you are training with the 9mm

Last edited by Sentaruu; 01-17-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
chris10492

Thanks, ill look into them. And yea guns aren't the cheapest things to buy. Is a range like 650 better is terms of great quality?

-also, I did hear that new glocks were banned in MA? Don't they have to be in the state before the ban?

Edit: and I wouldn't mind buying one (9mm) for the time being.i can't afford 2 at the moment. I just thought getting a cheaper .22 was a better choice.

Last edited by chris10492; 01-17-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
I don't know about the laws in MA, you can still get a used glock I'm sure if that was the route you wanted to go. you can definitely get a quality firearm with a $650 budget. and with defense being one of your main purposes, quality is really what you are looking for. quality and reliability.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
chris10492

He's not always around with all the traveling. And I thought it would be a good conversation starter? Was I wrong? I've been lurking for a while and I see a lot of people with plenty of knowledge and experience.

Edit: if I'm going to spend that much ill need more time to save up, that way I can buy something that's worth it in the long run

Last edited by chris10492; 01-17-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:49 AM   #6
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
It never hurts to ask.

You can find used police trade-ins at various stores and get yourself a Glock for a reasonable price. As stated though, you're going to need to spend more than $350 to get a decent firearm.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
davidt443

My Ride: 2001 325i
what about checking out your local pawn store with you buddy? I am a broke college kid as well, but scored a barely used Springfield Armory XD .40 cal with upgraded trijicon night sights, for $400.

Go their with your friend , he will know if its a good deal or not, used is not a bad thing.
davidt443 is offline   Reply With Quote