E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #21
mole51

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 M3
Sorry for another question, but I've been reading this thread (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1003890&page=8) regarding fitting and problems with the D5150 unit, and a few people have said/asked (with no definite answers as far as I can see) about the need for a harness adapter and an extension cable for those who have the OEM wide sat nav. Is this necessary or when I get the Eonon GM5150, will it just directly connect to the current wiring harness currently behind the OEM nav screen?
mole51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #22
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffaz32 View Post
WOLFN8TR Can you test an ipod and iphone if possible.

Does the unit charge the ipod and iphone now as apparently the D5150 didnt have enough power to charge and play devices. it only played them which means you can't leave a ipod permanently connected as you had to remove it to charge.
The GM5150 does and so did my D5150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKnid View Post
I have an old iPhone 3GS connected and it charges, it also charges my 4S. I tried my wife's 5S with the lightening adapter. It played, started charging, then tried to connect to bluetooth, and stopped charging. I also go a weird error message (with Chinese characters) and it kept restarting itself until I pressed the reset button.
I tried my friends iPhone 5 with a Apple lighting adapter and got the same error message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole51 View Post
Sorry, I would have meant him (very tired atm with work). I suppose the glare isn't too big an issue because I know I won't be using the navigation app much as I always use my phone, and source, volume etc can be controlled with the hard buttons. But from the pictures I've seen it looks like its a fairly bright screen, so I presume you two only mean the screen is impossible to see when the sun directly hits the screen? Other than that it's okay under a normal slightly bright day?

I live in the UK and would have absolutely no second thoughts if I knew I was ordering from a UK supplier with decent and fast customer after-sales support, but from everything I've read their customer service sounds rubbish so I'm worried about. I presume as you've upgraded from the older Eonon units you guys see the support as pretty good?
In videos and the photos I have the brightness turned all the way down, so I would say it would be fine if you turned it up. The screen is really bright.

The customer service I've received from Carlos (Eonon's rep on here) is really good. He has implemented changes to the newer units based on our feedback, issued firmware updates for changes to the unit etc. I personally haven't had to send a unit back yet thou. One thing you have to remember is the time difference when contacting Eonon.

Quote:
Sorry for another question, but I've been reading this thread (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1003890&page=8) regarding fitting and problems with the D5150 unit, and a few people have said/asked (with no definite answers as far as I can see) about the need for a harness adapter and an extension cable for those who have the OEM wide sat nav. Is this necessary or when I get the Eonon GM5150, will it just directly connect to the current wiring harness currently behind the OEM nav screen?
It can be done, not as easy thou. Read this page, PM the two members that have for more info. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...003890&page=15

Overall for the money I'm pleased with both units I bought from Eonon.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
mole51

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 M3
Thanks W wolfn8tr, looked at that link and got the answer straight-away, unfortunately its a yes and sounds like a ton of effort (and 50 for the extra harness!). Have PMd maxfury929 about some specifics on the wiring just to make sure before I place an order on the GM5150.
mole51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Welcome...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #25
VKnid

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Sorry, I would have meant him (very tired atm with work). I suppose the glare isn't too big an issue because I know I won't be using the navigation app much as I always use my phone, and source, volume etc can be controlled with the hard buttons. But from the pictures I've seen it looks like its a fairly bright screen, so I presume you two only mean the screen is impossible to see when the sun directly hits the screen? Other than that it's okay under a normal slightly bright day?

I live in the UK and would have absolutely no second thoughts if I knew I was ordering from a UK supplier with decent and fast customer after-sales support, but from everything I've read their customer service sounds rubbish so I'm worried about. I presume as you've upgraded from the older Eonon units you guys see the support as pretty good?
No worries. I just don't want to take any credit for his hard work. Right, only difficult to see if the sun is shining right on the screen. Adjusting the brightness should help and your eyes should be on the road anyway, right? I'll second what WOLFN8TR said about customer service. It can't be easy from half the world away, but Carlos has been good. I asked for a software update for the Bluetooth music auto start issue late on Friday and he had one by Monday. Good luck replacing the oem nav. It looks like it requires a bit more work, but is doable.
VKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #26
rocksonrocks

My Ride: 325i
A few of you have said disconnecting the blue ANT wire makes the reception better. Do you mean you get less static or is the reception better? I get occasional static pops and ticks (very occasional), but does it pull in weak stations better?
rocksonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #27
VKnid

rocksonrocks, Honestly I only listen to about three stations, so I couldn't say whether the reception or ability to pick up far away stations is better. All I know is that what was once nearly inaudible is now clear.

I may have praised Carlos too soon. I tried the software update to fix the Bluetooth issue and it does not appear to work. I believe I followed the below instructions correctly:

1. Please copy the NWD-703 floder to a empty SD card.
2. Put the SD card into the GPS card slot.
3. Disconnect the power and reset the head unit.Then, it will update the software automatically
4. During the update,plsease follow the 5 points to calibrate the head unit.After the calibration, the unit will turn to radio mode.
Then reset the head unit again.

I understood "reset" to mean turn the accessory power off with the key. I did not push the small reset button next to the GPS card. It went through the installation process when starting up with the new card. I calibrated the screen and it started up in Chinese. I set the language back to English (after basically pressing lots of buttons) and turned the unit off with the key. Then restarted with the GPS card in. I put all of my settings back to normal (most were still set), and turned it off again. When I turned it back on with my phone in the car, it switch to Bluetooth music after trying to start in radio just as it did before. Did I miss something? I might try it again tomorrow night just to be sure.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #28
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksonrocks View Post
A few of you have said disconnecting the blue ANT wire makes the reception better. Do you mean you get less static or is the reception better? I get occasional static pops and ticks (very occasional), but does it pull in weak stations better?
When I tested the antenna adapter that came with the unit the station was coming in fine. I connected the Blue wire and it got static. It didn't seem to get the weak stations any better or worse. The Metra-40-EU55 antenna cable I used worked the best out of all three.
http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-EU55-...=Metra+40-EU55

VKnid-Here is info on updating the firmware.
http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/4...mware-upgrade/

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 01-21-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #29
VKnid

Thanks for the link. Looks like I followed the update procedure correctly. Kind of disappointed as not only did the it not fix the Bluetooth issue, but now the clock is worse as the GPS now thinks it's 10 hours ahead. So it syncs to the wrong time.

Last edited by VKnid; 01-22-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
dragondrpr

My Ride: 03 325xi
To many problems

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
dragondrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #31
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondrpr View Post
To many problems

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
D5150 with old UI was "ironed out" unit, very stable, no problems, everything (or at least most of the things) was working as it should. In my case even the radio reception is not worse than with OEM setup, I can play music/video from rear USB, I can even charge my android from rear USB...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #32
VKnid

OK. The clock thing was my fault. It somehow switched time zones from -5 GMT to +5 GMT and I didn't catch it. That explains the 10 hour difference.

Last edited by VKnid; 01-22-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #33
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondrpr View Post
To many problems.
Not really. Minor issues is all.

Update: My clock is working fine now. Set to GPS sync and GMT-7.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #34
brewer90

My Ride: 06 330Ci ZHP
Does it keep time when the power is off? Or just sync back up when the gps locks on?
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #35
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

When I got to work today it was ready the correct time 4:45am. Got in the car at 1:15pm and the clock was reading 1:15am. After a minute or so it updated it to the correct time. So basically as soon as the GPS signal is received it adjusts correctly.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #36
brewer90

My Ride: 06 330Ci ZHP
Mine behaves the same way then. It would be nice if it kept up when powered down but it isn't that big a deal since it syncs up within a couple of minutes upon startup.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #37
maxfury929

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3 Coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to maxfury929
Wow can't wait til the next upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #38
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
Can anyone speak to reverse camera fitment if they have one installed (i know it doesnt come with it). I've seen posts saying most do not fit and require modification and I've seen other posts saying that you only need modification for the coupe. Has anyone installed a reverse camera in the license plate light location without modification for the sedan.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #39
Anjoz

Thumbs Up Thank you!

First of all thank you for the post! Your old post on the install and this one will be a lot of help when I start to install mine!! I have been lurking around the forum, reading as much as I can on installs for last few days. I'm almost convinced this works and just about to order it. I'm still confused on two things:

1) I have a 2003 BMW 325i with Business CD now. To reposition the climate control to sun glass holder box do I need to buy anything or would it just sit in once I remove the glass holder box out of the frame?

2) The antenna connector you bought off of amazon, do you know if that will work with my car model? Coz when I tried on amazon it said not compatible!
Anjoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #40
rocksonrocks

I have a 2004 325i sedan and it depends on how clean you want it.it goes in very snug and doesn't move but only after I took out the dremel and shaved off a few pieces. I have some more info on one of these e46f threads but i can't remember where. Search? If you want a perfect fit get the conversion kit. I may still install it in future.
rocksonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth, dvd, e46, navigation, touch screen