E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 PM   #81
A.TRN E46//

My Ride: Silver-Grey FL coupe
After reading a bunch of stuff from WOLFN8TR, I think Im ready to buy this. If only they had an orange theme along with the red, blue, and yellow that would sell it even more to me haha.But anyways thanks WOLFN8TR for the info Im tired of my boring business CD lol. Im wondering if you can post up a vid of how the mirroring works? Like for example can I mirror my waze maps from my iPhone onto the head unit screen. Also what relocation bracket would I need to get if I wanted to keep the ashtray LED? Thanks in advance!
A.TRN E46// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #82
VKnid

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlando View Post
well for everyone who has the GM5150 what did you guys do with the two USB cords on the back of the unit?
just curious on the routing path you took it personally dont think i will need them so i left it back in the dash.

also for the Wifi antenna how do you route that and where...............i think this unit needs a DIY more than the previous one did lol
I ran the USB wires to the glove box along with the iPod cable. No immediate plans to use them, but at least they are now easy to get to. Wifi antenna mounted with double sided 3M tape behind the glove box. I think there's a good picture on page one.
VKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #83
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
well for everyone who has the GM5150 what did you guys do with the two USB cords on the back of the unit?
just curious on the routing path you took it personally dont think i will need them so i left it back in the dash.

also for the Wifi antenna how do you route that and where...............i think this unit needs a DIY more than the previous one did lol
Only USB in the glovebox for me. I don't need ipod cable, and I don't need AUX. But I need USB charging for android, plus playing music/video from USB memory stick. I also routed RCA for rear camera (with adapter cable) and sensing wire for reverse camera behind glovebox, so when I get rear camera, I can wire everything with just removing glovebox and without removing the unit.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 PM   #84
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.TRN E46// View Post
After reading a bunch of stuff from WOLFN8TR, I think Im ready to buy this. If only they had an orange theme along with the red, blue, and yellow that would sell it even more to me haha.But anyways thanks WOLFN8TR for the info Im tired of my boring business CD lol. Im wondering if you can post up a vid of how the mirroring works? Like for example can I mirror my waze maps from my iPhone onto the head unit screen. Also what relocation bracket would I need to get if I wanted to keep the ashtray LED? Thanks in advance!
You want to get the one for the smokers package, the info and link to purchase one is in the D5150 thread. Look in my sig. My iPhone will not do the Mirroring otherwise I would of posted a video.

Quote:
Well for everyone who has the GM5150 what did you guys do with the two USB cords on the back of the unit?
just curious on the routing path you took it personally dont think i will need them so i left it back in the dash. Also for the Wifi antenna how do you route that and where. I think this unit needs a DIY more than the previous one did lol.
As stated before everything gets routed to the glove box area, same as the D5150. Remove the glove box and route the cables from the unit down to the right into that area. There is a flat area for mounting the WiFi antenna (photo on page 1). The only difference between the D5150 and the GM5150 is the addition USB cable and WiFi antenna so there really isn't a need for a more detailed DIY. The install on the D5150 was more involved due to the short RCA cables, straight iPod cable and Antenna adapter. The GM5150 was way easier to install.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #85
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
Crazy question does unscrewing the top portion of the wifi antenna hinder the signal at all?
cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #86
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Crazy question does unscrewing the top portion of the wifi antenna hinder the signal at all?
The tip of the Antenna?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #87
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
Yeaa it unscrews to make it much smaller and shorter...not like I need much range from the back of my unit to my driver seat
cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #88
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Ya I highly doubt it would be an issue at that range.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #89
kimbermerc

My Ride: 2004 325i
Thanks for all the great info WOLFN8TR! Just ordered a GM5150 and HVAC relocation kit. I ordered without maps and have been digging into the IGO jungle on some other forums. I'm pretty sure I have a working version of IGO PRIMO2 put together but no way to really test it until 5150 gets here. It's my first time venturing into the GPS software world and now I'm almost more excited to see if I have put together the navi software correctly!
kimbermerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #90
mole51

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbermerc View Post
Thanks for all the great info WOLFN8TR! Just ordered a GM5150 and HVAC relocation kit. I ordered without maps and have been digging into the IGO jungle on some other forums. I'm pretty sure I have a working version of IGO PRIMO2 put together but no way to really test it until 5150 gets here. It's my first time venturing into the GPS software world and now I'm almost more excited to see if I have put together the navi software correctly!
I ordered mine without GPS software too and bought a 3 4GB microSD off Amazon. I found iGo Primo 2 and 2013 maps on torrents and was relatively easy to put it on the SD card correctly. It works great but a couple issues- no postcode/zip entry, and the 3D mapping seems a bit slow and a bit juddery (not because of poor GPS signal as my position is always spot on). I've only used it for a quick 10 main journey so it may get better over time.
mole51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #91
kimbermerc

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole51 View Post
I ordered mine without GPS software too and bought a 3 4GB microSD off Amazon. I found iGo Primo 2 and 2013 maps on torrents and was relatively easy to put it on the SD card correctly. It works great but a couple issues- no postcode/zip entry, and the 3D mapping seems a bit slow and a bit juddery (not because of poor GPS signal as my position is always spot on). I've only used it for a quick 10 main journey so it may get better over time.
I'm still trying to piece together all the add-on files for POI's, Voices, DEM's, all that good stuff. I'm currently living in Italy, but will be back in the States later this year, so I'm working on getting everything set up for both map packs.
kimbermerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #92
mole51

I now have an even bigger problem. The colours on my screen have been wrong all day today and for part of yesterday. Most noticeable if I set the theme to blue or if I'm in bluetooth settings. This has been happening since I fitted the unit (but it was flickering between correct colours and wrong colours when I applied pressure to the front of the unit, so I checked the connections and everything is fine). Also what you see in the pics is 99% accurate, nothing to do with my camera.

Anyone have any ideas? Like I said I've checked all of the connections and now it seems stuck on the wrong colours - applying pressure to the front of the unit or to the LCD screen doesn't make the colours change back to normal. Maybe a faulty LCD screen?
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #93
semcoinc

My Ride: 330Xi/335Xi/E53-X5
Hello,

I've just joined but have been a lurker for a while and used this forum to find many solutions for my 2003 E46 330Xi. This thread and the others on the Eonon offering have been fantastic. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I would like to get in on this group buy for my factory Nav. The link currently says sold out! So someone let me know please how to activate more units.

I probably will do my E53 first because I have no aux in or iPhone in with that vehicle and then do the E46 which had a Dice unit in it when I got it.

I will get the 40 pin Fakra cable extension and the 90 degree antenna adapter and the included 90degree iPhone adapter cable should be all I'll need as well as one of the wolf recommended cameras.

I'll post back with my results and pics if I make any new discoveries.

Mike
semcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #94
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole51 View Post
I now have an even bigger problem. The colours on my screen have been wrong all day today and for part of yesterday. Most noticeable if I set the theme to blue or if I'm in bluetooth settings. This has been happening since I fitted the unit (but it was flickering between correct colours and wrong colours when I applied pressure to the front of the unit, so I checked the connections and everything is fine). Also what you see in the pics is 99% accurate, nothing to do with my camera.

Anyone have any ideas? Like I said I've checked all of the connections and now it seems stuck on the wrong colours - applying pressure to the front of the unit or to the LCD screen doesn't make the colours change back to normal. Maybe a faulty LCD screen?
I would say the LCD screen is bad but did you try doing a "Reset"? If not push the small reset button down on the lower right by the GPS slot when the unit is ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semcoinc View Post
Hello,

I've just joined but have been a lurker for a while and used this forum to find many solutions for my 2003 E46 330Xi. This thread and the others on the Eonon offering have been fantastic. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I would like to get in on this group buy for my factory Nav. The link currently says sold out! So someone let me know please how to activate more units.

Mike
Hey Mike you need to get your name on the Group Buy list. It says sold out because the group buy ended. Once Carlos gets 10 people he will start another. The are on Chinese New Year right now so give him a few days to respond.

Eonon GM5150 Group Buy Thread

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 02-02-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #95
maxfury929

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3 Coupe
Send a message via Skype™ to maxfury929
Looks like they make an extension harness for the D5150/GM5150 now. Thanks for the info Semcoinc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291052776697

Last edited by maxfury929; 02-04-2014 at 12:25 AM.
maxfury929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #96
Dazza335iC

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '92 345iC
I'm a bit confused, what do you need the extended harness for?
Dazza335iC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #97
semcoinc

My Ride: 330Xi/335Xi/E53-X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
I'm a bit confused, what do you need the extended harness for?
Those of us with OEM Nav systems in the dash have the connections in the trunk/boot area where our Nav DVD unit and CD Changer live. So we need an extension harness to go from the radio in the dash to the trunk/boot.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
E46/330Xi, E90/335Xi, E53/X5 4.4i

Last edited by semcoinc; 02-04-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Text
semcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #98
dmw650

My Ride: 325i Convertible
Setup for convertible with nav

I have a 2004 325i convertible with OEM Nav and would like to confirm which pieces I need for the GM5150 install. Just waiting for the next group buy to get it ordered.

- it looks like Eonon has their own 5M extension wiring harness now. Hopefully I can get that when I order the unit or will have to buy via ebay. Does anyone know if additional splicing is still required?

- Does either the GM5150 or the wiring harness have the extension for the antenna? I believe this connection is also in the trunk. Do I still need the antenna adapter that WOLFN8TR mentions?

- Which backup camera fits best with the convertible? I like the look of the one that replaces the license light, but don't want a major hassle for the install. Do all of the cameras come with the extension video cable and mounting bits?

- Is the iphone/ipod connector long enough to make it to the console between the seats? If not is an extension available?

- How is the Bluetooth microphone? For the convertible am I still going to want an external mic closer to the steering wheel? Any experiences with this?

Thanks for your help
dmw650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #99
zfrog

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw650 View Post
- How is the Bluetooth microphone? For the convertible am I still going to want an external mic closer to the steering wheel? Any experiences with this?

Did a research and was not able to find it. Is the GM5150 able to use an external mic?
zfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #100
mole51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw650 View Post
I have a 2004 325i convertible with OEM Nav and would like to confirm which pieces I need for the GM5150 install. Just waiting for the next group buy to get it ordered.

- it looks like Eonon has their own 5M extension wiring harness now. Hopefully I can get that when I order the unit or will have to buy via ebay. Does anyone know if additional splicing is still required?

- Does either the GM5150 or the wiring harness have the extension for the antenna? I believe this connection is also in the trunk. Do I still need the antenna adapter that WOLFN8TR mentions?

- Which backup camera fits best with the convertible? I like the look of the one that replaces the license light, but don't want a major hassle for the install. Do all of the cameras come with the extension video cable and mounting bits?

- Is the iphone/ipod connector long enough to make it to the console between the seats? If not is an extension available?

Thanks for your help
I'll try and help you one by one. I've recently completed the full install and I had an OEM factory Nav unit without Harman Kardon in a convertible. The whole install took me about 3 days doing 2-3 slow hours a day. Sounds long but doesn't feel it at all and is rather easy. Just use Youtube for videos on how to remove your rear seats and side trim.

1. I bought the following cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010163912...84.m1439.l2649

It's called an A0567 extension cable. Seems to work fine, but you'll loose auto-dimming unless (according to someone else) you splice a certain cable into another cable. Frankly, I can't be bothered as its two screen presses to dim the backlight.

2. The extension harness and the GM5150 DO NOT come with an antenna extension cable. I connected the FM fakra adapter that comes with the GM5150 to the aerial in the boot, then used a standard 'DIN' female to male FM antenna extension cable and plugged that into the back of the GM5150, and all seems to work fine.

3. I've purchased a backup camera off of eBay but haven't had the time (or weather, I live in the UK where currently it's a wet storm everyday) to fit it yet, however the size seems right and there's no bulge on the back of it: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1111842791...84.m1439.l2649

4. I would say you'd have trouble wiring the iPod connecter all the way to the armrest, but I would imagine a standard eBay iPod 40pin connector extension cable (plugged into the Eonon iPod cable) would work fine.

5. I've only accepted one call while I'm driving and was going about 30mph but slowly accellerating (and with my custom exhaust it makes the inside quite loud). The person on the other end seemed to hear what I was saying (I was sort of shouting though and had the window half open) but it was not a friend so couldn't ask on the quality of the call. For a 'vert you'll probably find that the position of the mic just on the GM5150 is the best position out of the wind, but I should note I saw no port/connection for an external mic when I was fitting it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by mole51; 02-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Tags
bluetooth, dvd, e46, navigation, touch screen