E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #41
Torok.Designs

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmonster138 View Post
OP, don't let all the pissers get to you. I can't wait to see the finished product. Some people just like to trash anything they can over a keyboard. I too might join the haters. Going to be looking into them.
Don't worry I won't Can't wait to see it if you do go ahead and do it
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #42
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
Once you fill the flares I don't think it will look bad. I like how much effort you have done for all of this though, and the you have the will to venture out a bit. Just curious is that plasti dip or flat paint on your bumper and hood?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #43
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingWildBill View Post
Once you fill the flares I don't think it will look bad. I like how much effort you have done for all of this though, and the you have the will to venture out a bit. Just curious is that plasti dip or flat paint on your bumper and hood?

Thank you. I'm looking into spacers right now. Spacers, then trim, side skirts, diffuser, and then whole car paint.

The hood and bumper are just the way they came from the store. Bumper is just plastic and hood is primered.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #44
BlazingWildBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
Thank you. I'm looking into spacers right now. Spacers, then trim, side skirts, diffuser, and then whole car paint.

The hood and bumper are just the way they came from the store. Bumper is just plastic and hood is primered.
Is it an FRP hood? Also, are you repainting same color or what?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #45
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater330i View Post
Yeah well often in those threads the people like mjpgolf who actually try to sway people away from bad financial and safety decisions are the ones that are called the dicks of the forum because they don't say yes to everything the 16 year old OP wants. So the capacity to help is rather minimal to begin with.
You can't criticize anything because these days everyone is a unique winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmonster138 View Post
OP, don't let all the pissers get to you. I can't wait to see the finished product. Some people just like to trash anything they can over a keyboard. I too might join the haters. Going to be looking into them.
People don't trash anything and everything. If it looked good, people would be saying so.

Lesson: Anything posted on the internet is fair game for any sort of criticism. OP obviously understands that based on his neutral reaction to the criticism.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #46
FrodoTBaggin

My Ride: 2004 325i
OP is driving the Will Smith of the E46 world.
FrodoTBaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #47
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Is it an FRP hood? Also, are you repainting same color or what?

I guess it would be FPF haha. It's extreme dimensions fiberglass plastic flex resin.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1011087

Yea most likely repainting jet black as it is a lot cheaper than a color change. I would love to do a color change though....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You can't criticize anything because these days everyone is a unique winner!

People don't trash anything and everything. If it looked good, people would be saying so.

Lesson: Anything posted on the internet is fair game for any sort of criticism. OP obviously understands that based on his neutral reaction to the criticism.
^

A lot of people have showed positive reactions to my car, maybe they just understand more than the people in this thread that my car is a work in progress and not done haha.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #48
BlazingWildBill

Quote:

Yea most likely repainting jet black as it is a lot cheaper than a color change.
That's what I am going to do, repaint same color. I originally wanted to repaint LSB but for that price I might as well sell my car and buy an m3.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #49
Torok.Designs

Quote:
That's what I am going to do, repaint same color. I originally wanted to repaint LSB but for that price I might as well sell my car and buy an m3.

What were you quoted for a color change?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #50
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
The 18x10's were a test fit. I'll get some 20mm spacers for the rear and 5mm for the front for now while I pay for painting the car. Then I'll get wider wheels.
Just make sure you get wider tires when you get the wheels, otherwise it won't make any difference.

From these pics in your OP, it looks like you tend to step up a few wheel sizes before you invest in tires to match.

Quote:

Project : E4 by torokdesigns, on Flickr

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #51
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
My friend, who flared my fenders, owns and runs his own body shop. He and his wife are both insanely talented at both paintwork and with custom metal/bodywork; I will just say that cars painted by them have won more area shows than any other shop. It's still very mucha "mom and pop" place, and they do the work because they enjoy it.

He will not do a paint job in a way he considers improper, and often turns down insurance jobs because of their unwillingness to pay for anything much more than a rattle can.
The "right way" for a full car means stripping the entire car, leaving just the shell and individual body components to be painted. The result is a paint job as good or better than any factory job, with perfect and even/matching paint on the hood, under the hood, in the door sills, etc.

The cost they advertise is "starting at $5800", and it can take a week due to the approx 250 man hours or more.

I can tell you right now, you don't want to have a paint job done where the car isn't stripped, it will NEVER look like anything but a respray.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #52
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Just make sure you get wider tires when you get the wheels, otherwise it won't make any difference.

From these pics in your OP, it looks like you tend to step up a few wheel sizes before you invest in tires to match.
I'm just going to sell those tires, get less stretched ones and run those wheels/tires with spacers until I can afford some wider wheels that won't need spacers and have bigger lips.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #53
BlazingWildBill

Quote:
What were you quoted for a color change?
I never actually got any quotes, but LSB is already a more expensive color, and if I was going to get a repaint in a different color I would need to have the engine bay painted too. It would be so much easier just to get a respray in my current color, and Ferg is already a unique one. Value of a car also decreases when it's resprayed different colors. I'm waiting to paint until I purchase new bumpers and skirts, maybe CSL trunk. I'm still debating CSL or M3 rep front bumper. I'm going to paint the outer part of the carbon fiber hood as well.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #54
Torok.Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
My friend, who flared my fenders, owns and runs his own body shop. He and his wife are both insanely talented at both paintwork and with custom metal/bodywork; I will just say that cars painted by them have won more area shows than any other shop. It's still very mucha "mom and pop" place, and they do the work because they enjoy it.

He will not do a paint job in a way he considers improper, and often turns down insurance jobs because of their unwillingness to pay for anything much more than a rattle can.
The "right way" for a full car means stripping the entire car, leaving just the shell and individual body components to be painted. The result is a paint job as good or better than any factory job, with perfect and even/matching paint on the hood, under the hood, in the door sills, etc.

The cost they advertise is "starting at $5800", and it can take a week due to the approx 250 man hours or more.

I can tell you right now, you don't want to have a paint job done where the car isn't stripped, it will NEVER look like anything but a respray.
Thank you for the advice. I'm talking to someone already. The price is good. It's just a respray but I'll see if he will take all the panels off to do it or not.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #55
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Denofa or Dafuq?
in the "finished" versions you showed they don't fit or flow on the car. rivets exposed, hole insets showing, abrupt non-connecting fitment to fender and bumper. and the cutting of sheet metal to do this. whoever is telling you this looks cool is lying to you to get your money. i'm not posting just to hate, but so you re-examine again this idea. i can't imagine in any circles this looks good.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #56
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Some maturity here which is nice The thing is that taste varies from person to person. There aren't any set rules as to what is tasteful to everyone and that is good because if there was then there wouldn't be much creativity.

Everyone who doesn't like it, that's fine. You aren't going to change my mind however. And yes I can take the negative comments without it bothering me. It would just be nice that if you do not like it then there is no need to comment further after stating the fact.

I will not name any names of who is interested as I do not know if they can handle the internet hate or just do not want to, but we will see if they decide to go through with it or not.

Relax everyone
While there's no set rules on what qualifies as good "taste" I'd imagine that not one person would say a piece of dog sh!t on their pizza is good taste. There are boundaries.

In recent years, it doesn't surprise me when you see something like a blacked out debadged 323 on usually bright honda wheels, drilled up body, smashed up drivers rear fender (notice the big dent on it OP?), stickers that are tilted to give the impression of badassism, teenageism, I like to hardcore drift, yeah i'mbaddass,etc etc., saggy pants, stretched ear lobes, crappy music, beat interior with custom teen wrappings on all the trim, bandaids, low hanging teddy bears, lots of half-ass interests in usually sucky hobbies, and god knows what else is the car that receives this kind of treatment.

This is what happens when desirable cars become accessible to low-income youth.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #57
WDE46

At least he doesn't have that comic strip vinyl wrap stuff.

I was researching a Jetta TDI for shits 'n' giggles the other day (gas mileage is appealing) and I couldn't browse those forums for more than a few minutes without wanting to burn all the owners' cars. They're cheap and tasteless people. It kills me.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #58
kr3678

My Ride: '01 330Ci
Quote:
I never actually got any quotes, but LSB is already a more expensive color, and if I was going to get a repaint in a different color I would need to have the engine bay painted too. It would be so much easier just to get a respray in my current color, and Ferg is already a unique one. Value of a car also decreases when it's resprayed different colors. I'm waiting to paint until I purchase new bumpers and skirts, maybe CSL trunk. I'm still debating CSL or M3 rep front bumper. I'm going to paint the outer part of the carbon fiber hood as well.

With all due respect, I'm pretty sure that ship has already sailed. The work done to add the flares has killed the value of the car far more than a color change would.
kr3678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #59
Torok.Designs

Yes the value of the car has definitely decreased a lot. It was already pretty low though. I'm not worried about re-selling it
Old 01-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #60
WDE46

I like OP. I hate his taste, but I like his attitude.