E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
K1lao

My Ride: Toyota Tacoma
Buying an e46 m3

Hi I'm about to be "maybe" buying an 2002 e46 m3 with 94k miles. I'm located in California so snow doesn't really affect me here. The seller is asking $14,000 for the car which he went down from $15,500. He said he has all the paperwork and the maintanence is up to date. Also he said he replaced the SMG pump (didn't say what mileage) but has the receipt for it. It has a clean title also.

Lots of mods on the car including:

BC racing coil overs
CSL rotors all around
Steel braided brake lines
agency Power Exhaust
CSl trunk (will give me the OEM trunk as well)
Csl diffuser (will give me the OEM diffuser)
Csl front bumper (will give me the OEM bumper)
Matte black front and side gills
04+ LED taillights
Alcantara wrapped CSL steering wheel
CSL shift knob

The problem is that I am a 17 year old and this will be my first car. I saved up a good amount and I've been looking at m3's in general for about a year know. My parents are really concerned about reliability issues and also maintanence and maybe costly repairs. I really need help on the costs of yearly maintanence and maybe repairs that may have to be done and also maybe if I can sell the OEM parts for cash also. My parents have gave me an option to buy a brand new honda civic or etc. since its more reliable but seeing my friends in 2010 camaros and Nissan 350z has made me want an M. (Maybe what can also help is listing some other bmw's or other cars that have the performance of the e46 m3, I've looked at a 07-08 335i but this M3 with all the csl mods has really gotten me pulled in)

The seller otherwise has said to me he has did oil change every 4k miles and he also said that he is a BMW Technician. He has agreed to take the m3 to a dealer to have it checked before I buy the car. He was a bit pushy about buying the car because I've been talking to him for about a month now but I told him my situation as this being my first car. He says everything runs fine and I'm hoping everything goes well at BMW. Also hoping to maybe lower the price down a bit also to around 12-13,000 is what my parents are shooting for.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
K1lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
My advice: The e46 is a kick ass car, and it's a hell of a lot of car for a 17 year olds first car. Be careful, be respectful of other drivers, wear your seat belt and take it to the track when you feel like racing around with your friends.

Seems like a good price though. Hopefully the ppi checks out.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
I don't see this seller moving down another grand or 2, especially if you've been stringing him along for a month. I also don't see it being a great idea to buy a modded E46 M3 as a first car. The new Civic (unless you're talking about an Si) is boring, and they're not very nice cars (older ones were built with nicer materials, IMO). My suggestion would be to find a happy medium between a new 140HP Honda, and an 11 year old used 333HP modded BMW.

Are there any other newer cars, with less performance, that interest you?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
K1lao

Maybe buying an e46 m3! Need a few opinions please!

Hi I'm about to "maybe" buying an 2002 e46 m3 with 94k miles. I'm located in California so snow doesn't really affect me. The seller is asking $14,000 for the car which he went down from $15,500. He has said that paperwork and the maintanence is all up to date. Also he said that he replaced the SMG pump (didn't say the mileage) but he said he has the receipt for it.

It has lots of mods on the car:

BC racing coil overs
CSL rotors all around
Steel braided brake lines
CSL trunk (will give me the OEM trunk as well)
CSK rear diffuser (will give me the OEM diffuser as well)
CSL front bumper (will give me the OEM bumper)
Matte black front and side gills
04+ LED taillights
Alcantara wrapped CSL steering wheel
CSL shift knob

The problem is that I am a 17 year old and this will be my first car. I saved up a good amount of money and I've been looking at bmw and m3's in general for about a year now. My parents are really concerned about the reliability of the car and also maintanence and repair costs as well. I really need help on the costs of yearly maintanence and the things that usually break down in these m3's. My parents have told me that I can get a brand new honda civic etc. since its more reliable but seeing my friends having 2010 camaro's, 350z's, and other performance cars has made me want this M. (Maybe what can be helpful as well is listing some other bmw's or other cars that will have the performance as this m3 has. I looked at a 07-08 335i but this m3 with all the CSL mods and performance mods has really pulled me in)

The seller on the other hand has said that he has done an oil change every 4k miles. He also said that he worked for bmw as a technician so he knows what he is doing. He has agreed to take the m3 to the dealer to have a comprehensive check to see if the car has any issues. He was a bit pushy and rude since I've been talking to him for about a month now and still haven't bought the car. I told him my situation and his reason of selling the car is because he needs a bigger car and is going for the new Lexus is460. He says everything runs fine and I hope it is when we go to bmw. Also hoping to maybe push the price Down a bit more to 12-13,000$ is what my parents are shooting for.

Thanks for your time hopefully I can get some opinions! Thanks

Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
K1lao

Uhmmm haven't really looked at anything yet, used to really want an acura rsx but looking at its price here in Cali has made me want an M since they are priced around 12-15k here, also an e60 m5 has been in my choice as well but they go for 18-25k here which is a little over my budget

Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
K1lao

The thing about this car that really pulls me in also is the smg tranny because it seems fun. Also my really close friend is about to get a 335i so we wanna have some fun in these bmw's lol

Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
BigMaineWomen

My Ride: 2002 330XI
when i was 16-17, my friends and i were in to fast cars and had a little too much fun. 3 out of 6 of my close buddies wrecked their first cars within 6 months (i was one of them). Let the M be your second car. Spend 6k on a nice manual tC or something and beat on it for a year. You will lose very little money on it when you sell it and you will be a year ahead in saving up for that car you want. That way when maintenance comes due, and it will, you will be ready.
BigMaineWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
K1lao

Ok respectable comment. That's what my parents said. I have already told my parents that if I had a regular honda civic or something to drive for college I will be fine with that but since my parents let me drive there toyota Tacoma and it has been about a year and its a 2-3 seater, its hard having fun with friends because the amount of friends I can take is limited. What if I do take the honda civic and drive it for 2 years and maybe go for an m3 when I'm in college and have a job? Maybe an '08 m3 or something

Old 01-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
K1lao

What if I was a 30 year old looking for an m3 though, would this car (if everything runs well) be a good deal? That's one main question I have also

Old 01-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Twopointo

My Ride: E46 m3
Get it inspect by dealer or any bmw reputable shop would be your best move i think.

Not looking for a manual?
Twopointo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
K1lao

Yea that was what I was planning on doing. And not really I like how the smg tranny works and would go for an automatic most likely.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #12
njbmw90

My Ride: 2004 M3 CB/CINN
If everything checks out car seems like a good deal for the price. As long as it's clean, accident free and has good maintenance

njbmw90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #13
K1lao

Yea according to the seller it is. I'm relying on bmw to tell me if everything under the car is fine

Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1lao View Post
What if I was a 30 year old looking for an m3 though, would this car (if everything runs well) be a good deal? That's one main question I have also

I get that your friends have fast cool cars and you want something that can keep up. But buying a fast car so you can "have some fun" is a bad idea regardless of your age. If you're talking about going to track or autoX events with your friends, that's a great idea. But you'd have just as much fun in a slower car at those events.

If you're talking about opening up an E46 M3 on the streets, the math is working against you. It's not a matter of *if* something happens, it's a matter of when. It's a high powered RWD car. A patch of sand, an animal running out in the road, another nearby car having a tire blow out and veering into your path...anything unexpected that happens when you're already driving the car near its limit will give you a very bad day. And you'll be traveling that much faster in an M3, vs a slower car. BTW, all 3 of those scenarios have happened to me on the street and cause me to loose control of my M3. I'm lucky to still have the car without an accident in it.

Anyways, to answer your question, we can't say if it's a good deal or not without knowing the specific maintenance history of the car and the overall condition. At 100K miles, it's time for the cooling system and suspension to be done if it's original. When was the last time it had a valve adjustment? Did it have the rod bearing recall? Does the production date warrant that?

The RSX is a good car. I used to have an RSX-S and it was great. I'd recommend something japanese and sporty, that has around 200HP and will be reliable, fun, and keep you out of less trouble than an M3. I'd hate to see another young guy posting on here about his M3 getting wrecked from racing with his friends...or worse.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 01-19-2014 at 07:24 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
I say wait on the M. Buy a beater as your first car, you will appreciate everything else you own more. And if you happen to wreck it you aren't losing much. Don't forget about the Bimmer maintenance, especially expensive for M3's. I would go for an early 2000 JDM car

Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #16
nwzj24

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci
My suggestion would be to get a clean used 330 since it's your first car. M3s are insanely unrealiable if not maitinenced correctly, and at that mileage, I'd stay away from it. It's a cool car, but it will be in the garage half the time.

nwzj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
njbmw90

My Ride: 2004 M3 CB/CINN
I started with a 330i and glad that I did. Taught me a lot about the e46 and was a nice car to drive before upgrading to a m3

njbmw90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
K1lao

Yea unfortunately very true.... Yes the car I drive right now for sure doesnt keep up with my friends but also still I push it to the limits to keep up with them. Is there any other car suggestions out there?

Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
nwzj24

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci
And I know you're doing a ppi but a high performance car that old will need a **** ton of attention. It's a 3.2L inline-6 pushed to the max. So if you really want it, get ready to pay some high maitince bills.

nwzj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #20
K1lao

Ok ill consider that but always in my mind lol I have that mindset of if I'm going to buy a 330 I should just mind as well get the m3. Yea really deciding right now I haven't made any real decision yet but if I do purchase this m3 it will be on Tuesday so I have a few days to thing about it