E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #21
K1lao

My Ride: Toyota Tacoma
Well as I looking around for m3s and such on Craigslist out here in California, the car is actually one of the least mileage m3 posted. I've seen a bunch with over 100,000 miles but still priced at a bit more than this m3

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
K1lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #22
K1lao

You guys want the link to the car? I can show you

Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #23
K1lao

Also what are some other options I have with a 12-14k budget

Old 01-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #24
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1lao View Post
Ok ill consider that but always in my mind lol I have that mindset of if I'm going to buy a 330 I should just mind as well get the m3. Yea really deciding right now I haven't made any real decision yet but if I do purchase this m3 it will be on Tuesday so I have a few days to thing about it

My advice:
-Get a slower car than your friends
-Go to some autoX events with your friends
-Beat your friend's autoX times in your slower car

It's a safe, controlled environment, on a timed course. Don't make driving on the street into a competition. It's a terrible idea. After 4 or 5 autoX course, you will be so much better at driving, it's not even funny. When you learn how to control a car at its limits, you won't want to drive at the limit on the street anymore.

RSX Type-S
Civic Si
VW GTI

Looking to buy a base E30 3'er coupe in or near CT. PM me if you're selling.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #25
K1lao

Ok yea well over here where I live the only place we do really "race" is basically out the school parking lot, basically just a straight away but I don't really speed when I'm not with friends. I also have been in a track before in alameda. It was a Porsche event but I had a chance to drive my dads friends Porsche around the track and also ridden in a 2011 bmw m3 sedan which made me want a faster car. There's not much tracks around my area tho but lots of M meet ups which seem like fun

Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #26
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
When he takes it to the dealer he'll be getting a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI). Once that is done, itll cost like $200-250, so somone has to pay for it, and that might be you, so understand that. But once it's done, call up the dealer and ask them what they found. If you talk do them directly then they should honestly tell you what could possibly be wrong with it.

The big things you need to be worried about are the valve adjustments and the rear sub frame. The valve adjustments cost quite a bit to get done and need to be done at least every 15k miles (so at 90k it should have got one) or more frequently based on how the car was driven. If it hasn't been done then not much harm will be done, but it may not make as much power and may make noise when it runs. So it's best to buy a car which has had a valve adjustment done recently.

The second big thing I tell people to look out for is the rear sub frame. The subframe holds the wheels, brakes, and differential to the body of the car. What happens is the body of the car can rip apart around where the rear sub frame bolts in, causing many many thousands of dollars of damage. Some cars get reinforcements done to the body, which pretty much keeps this from ever happening. Make sure to ask the dealer if the rear sub frame is in good condition.

Other parts of the car can break too. Some big parts and some smaller parts. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect/plan to pay $2000 a year for maintenance. (yeah.) Also keep in mind that an M3 is a high performance sports car, and your insurance will charge you alot more accordingly.

If you feel like you can take care of the car and enjoy owning it, then go for it! But dont forget that you can have a ton of fun driving the shit out of a slow car too! haha.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
Andy2108

Corvette?
Mustang
Mini Cooper S
S2000

You could get a E36 M3. Its alot like the E46, but it would free up a ton of money for mods and maintenance.

Last edited by Andy2108; 01-19-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #28
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) performed by a BMW dealership or a shop you trust. Most mods don't add to the value of the car unless the buyer deems it so.

Your maintenance is going to be costly. Oil changes are around $100 just for the oil, filter and replacement drain plug. The car has a lower resale value but a high mechanical value. (labor is also high if taking to dealer for repairs / service)

The CSL mods are probably replicas since the coilovers are BC.
There are no factory automatic E46 M3. If you want an automatic and it has to be a BMW, get a 330CI or a ZHP.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 01-19-2014 at 07:51 PM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #29
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Don't get hypnotized by the "csl" mods. A car is a CSL - or it isn't. This one isn't. Fastening a lot of aftermarket mods to the car doesn't make it more than it was before. Don't miss the forest for the trees. The mods don't matter.

Your parents have good reason to believe that the car will have maintenance needs that far exceed that of a Honda. It will. Period.

The E46 M3 has regular maintenance costs that far. FAR exceed those of a Honda. A new Honda isn't going to have any maintenance needs really...and the ones that might arise - Honda will be paying for probably. A 100K mile M3. Yes - lots of stuff is going to keep continually wearing out on a 12 year old, complex car that multiple prior owners have beat on. Plan for it because its just reality.

Plan on $2K year on just regular upkeep - assuming nothing goes wrong. Tires, brakes, oil changes etc etc etc etc etc. Oil is ONE oil - and $100 just for the oil and filter (not the actual labor).

You can't cheap your way along on a M3. Don't plan on cheap tires, cheap crappy brakes, cheap gas, cheap oil.... this isn't the car for it.

If the VANOS goes - $3500-4,000. Subframe mount failure - $2500-4,000. SMG pump - a few thousand. The M3 has weak points (these are a few common ones) and when they go - you need the reserve funds that aren't going to break you if you need $3-4K this week. Read the forums for posts like yours and learn about the issues that afflict this model and don't believe that you will someone slide by with your share. That will allow you to determine if you are financially able to manage the regular costs of tires and brakes wearing out, oil changes, 92 octane gas every fill (min. spec is 91). It adds up.

New Honda maintenance costs: $0 / year

100K mile M3 maintenance costs: Plan $2,000-2,500/year with an emergency fund of $3K+

Last edited by Alan; 01-19-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
Alan

Quote:
Yea that was what I was planning on doing. And not really I like how the smg tranny works and would go for an automatic most likely.

There is no automatic transmission for this car.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #31
K1lao

Ok appreciate it! I will ask on that and yea basically bmw has my answer whether it is a good buy or not. Yea I would like an e36 but not really trying to drive a stick for now, yes there are automatic but the smg sounds really fun

Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #32
K1lao

@andy yea I looked up those cars before, I'm looking for a 4-5 seater car sedan preferably because of insurance but I agreed to pay the insurance which is 1600$ for every 6 months

Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #33
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Ok yea well over here where I live the only place we do really "race" is basically out the school parking lot, basically just a straight away but I don't really speed when I'm not with friends. I also have been in a track before in alameda. It was a Porsche event but I had a chance to drive my dads friends Porsche around the track and also ridden in a 2011 bmw m3 sedan which made me want a faster car. There's not much tracks around my area tho but lots of M meet ups which seem like fun

This is why I recommended autoX events. You definitely have that stuff around you. And, believe me, it will be quite satisfying to beat your friends in a slower car.

Don't race at a school. Schools have cameras, and cops constantly patrol them. The people that live near schools are intimately familiar with who is prowling around the grounds. It's only a matter of time before they call the cops. If you have an accident at a school, it will be all over the news. You'll never live it down. Think smart bro.

If you get caught racing in your town, your car will be marked. Cops talk about this stuff. They're not stupid. When I was younger, my brother was a hooligan. The cops used to drive by the house to see if he was home or not. If he wasn't home on a Saturday night, you better believe there was talk on the radio band about it, and they're checking the places he might be street racing. I used to get pulled over just because they'd see my car parked at the house and I was affiliated with him.

Be smart. Don't attract negative attention to yourself, and don't get into habits that are going to cost you money or get you hurt. If you get caught racing or get into an accident, your insurance will skyrocket. Parents will be pissed, and it'll cost everyone more money.

Looking to buy a base E30 3'er coupe in or near CT. PM me if you're selling.

Last edited by fiveightandten; 01-19-2014 at 07:51 PM.
fiveightandten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #34
Andy2108

Have you ever driven a stick? If you're interested in cars and going fast then you should learn. Its really not hard and I'm sure you can learn how. Its just like learning how to ride a bike, once you get a feel for it it's so much better than a tricycle. lol.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #35
BlazingWildBill

My Ride: Ferg 328Ci
Watch this.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #36
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
Ye be careful if i get m3 . If you dont respect it you WILL crash it !!!!!!!!!!!!

ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #37
K1lao

@andy yes I had bought a '95 vw jetta for 500$ to practice stick so im not the best but I can drive it but I feel that it's more fun just hands on the wheel for right now.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 PM   #38
Andy2108

Quote:
@andy yea I looked up those cars before, I'm looking for a 4-5 seater car sedan preferably because of insurance but I agreed to pay the insurance which is 1600$ for every 6 months

DAMN!

Ask your insurance if there are any discounts you can get, like the good student discount, drivers ed discount, TireRack Street Survival (which I highly recommend) discount. Maybe even say your mom is the primary driver and you're just secondary

Uh. Ever thought about a Subaru WRX STI or Evo? They're alot of fun to drive and pretty quick. Might take a little bit more effort to find a nice one in your area, but you're literally in car guy Mecca Heaven in SoCal . I flew from Kansas to LA to pick up my M3 from there....

Seriously think about a Mini Cooper S. They're also a ton of fun to drive, there's a ton of mods available, and there's a ton of them to choose from in your price range. They're not as big as an e46, but that's almost better. Trust me, your friends WILL NOT be happy about climbing into the backseat of an e46. I would know.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #39
K1lao

Ok thanks appreciate it! Yea I'm most likely gonna check it out at bmw first but then reach my decision. I understand the maintanence issues and stuff and my parents are well aware of that

Old 01-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #40
Alan

Quote:
Ok thanks appreciate it! Yea I'm most likely gonna check it out at bmw first but then reach my decision. I understand the maintanence issues and stuff and my parents are well aware of that

Hopefully you don't mean you intend to have a PPI done by a BMW dealer.