E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #41
K1lao

My Ride: Toyota Tacoma
Yea that is what I'm planning on

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
K1lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #42
K1lao

Yea that will be a bit later for the insurance but yea I'm actually considering a 335i right now like an 07-08 but I'm still thinking cuz if I do get it I'm thinking of an entry level jb on it

Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 PM   #43
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1lao View Post
Yea that is what I'm planning on

Good luck with that. You'll need it.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #44
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
e46 M3 as your first car....like what other said, be careful! don't underestimate these beast man.

i only have a 325ci and sometimes when i turn corners her ass literally slide out by accident.

i know what you feel, i'm close to your age group ($650/month for insurance and maybe $200/month gas)but things to keep in mind is speeding...we like we speed, admit it or not. Just speed when tracking, trust me having an M3 is a eyecatcher, don't want to catch anymore attention from speeding. but do what you want, buy a car that you love not want.

Last edited by JapanRot325ci; 01-19-2014 at 08:26 PM.
JapanRot325ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Your parents are absolutely right to be concerned about the costs of maintaining a high performance, high mileage BMW. If you do the work yourself on the car you will be upwards of $3000 a year and if you need to take it to a shop its going to be a lot more. Non M E46s run in the range of about $2000 to $2500 a year on average to keep in tip top shape, so figure at least another $1000 for the M. More than likely this M you're looking at is in need of quite a bit of work right now which is why the owner is selling it. I myself would not buy a modded car from anyone. I like to find a clean, mostly stock, one owner, well maintained car. To me the mods just mean the car was whooped on. I know you want a cool car as a young person but this car is way over your head and is going to cost more than you could even imagine to keep up. You will have plenty of time to get a nice car down the road. You've worked hard to save some cash so why not just buy some decent transportation and save some of that money for a rainy day. If you want to see how much a BMW costs to own check out a thread here titled "how much did you spend on your E46 in 2013" and see what people are spending on these cars. Its a recent thread and should be in the first few pages. I myself would've killed to have a new civic when I was 17 so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Your parents are very generous to offer you a new car so be responsible and forget about BMWs and sports cars until your out of school and have the money to own one properly.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
At 22 looking back, I'm glad I didn't have an M3 as my first or even my 2nd car. I had an e39 528i for my first car and while my friends did have cars that would absolutely pummel my car, I was still content with it. I beat that thing almost daily, and it was a very forgiving car for a 16-18 year old to mess around in. At 18 when looking for my now 330i ZHP, I still didn't really want an M3 because I knew I'd be stupid and/or my inexperience would lead to something bad happening. So, with lower maintenance and overall costs..I went with the ZHP. Even though my buddies with M3's walk away from me, I can still undoubtedly keep up on auto-x courses. I still haven't really found this car's limits other than on the slow auto-x corners.

Get a car that you can learn on OP. Learn how slower cars react on their limits before you go testing a car that's limits are FAR above your skill range. You'll grow up appreciating cars much more. Knowing how to properly drive a slower car fast is much more rewarding than driving a fast car slow.

Don't run before you can walk.

330i ZHP 6MT | H&R Sport Cup | BMW Performance | OEM Clears | Coby Wheel
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #47
K1lao

Thanks guys really appreciate it! As of now you guys have veered me off the m3 route but I'm still going to stick with bmw. I had my uncle come over to talk to me about cars and I've decided on a 335i sedan 2007. I have found one with 92k miles for around 14k but I plan on negotiating with him! My uncle also said that he will be willing to help me chip the 335i since he is an owner of a auto shop. Still pls give me updates on the 2007 335i and pls let me know the details of buying this type of car! Thanks and your comments are highly appreciated!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #48
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
Quote:
Thanks guys really appreciate it! As of now you guys have veered me off the m3 route but I'm still going to stick with bmw. I had my uncle come over to talk to me about cars and I've decided on a 335i sedan 2007. I have found one with 92k miles for around 14k but I plan on negotiating with him! My uncle also said that he will be willing to help me chip the 335i since he is an owner of a auto shop. Still pls give me updates on the 2007 335i and pls let me know the details of buying this type of car! Thanks and your comments are highly appreciated!

IMO, that's no better than the M3. The 335i is just as powerful, just as easy to get into trouble with, and doesn't handle quite as well. It's more complex to work on as well.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #49
K1lao

Yes true but I feel that it's not that expensive as an M

Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #50
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:

Harder to work on, less reliable, worse to drive (I have an E90 and an E92 in the family), much harder to mod.

A Mini is a BMW too! Get an R53 which are just better. They're supercharged. All you have to do is put a new pully on it and its has more power haha.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #51
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:

The 335 has just over 300 hp/ft lbs. Why do you need to chip it? Like seriously, how fast are you guys in the US driving!? That's plenty of power for street use and more than you will use on a day-to-day basis, especially for someone so young.

I'd be a bit weary of the known issues of the 335 (wastegate rattle and high pressure fuel pump). The wastegates are not cheap to fix- I know as I previously owned one.

For a guy your age, I'd go civic si. Plenty reliable and won't break the bank if something goes wrong.

** Removed - Tim330i **
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #52
VishTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
My advice:
-Get a slower car than your friends
-Go to some autoX events with your friends
-Beat your friend's autoX times in your slower car

It's a safe, controlled environment, on a timed course. Don't make driving on the street into a competition. It's a terrible idea. After 4 or 5 autoX course, you will be so much better at driving, it's not even funny. When you learn how to control a car at its limits, you won't want to drive at the limit on the street anymore.

RSX Type-S
Civic Si
VW GTI
I'd choose the civic si (2006-2011) over the RSX type s. IIRC, the civic has the LSD where as the RSX does not

** Removed - Tim330i **
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #53
fiveightandten

Quote:
Yes true but I feel that it's not that expensive as an M

It will be just as expensive in the long term.

BMW's aren't muscle cars. It's not about horsepower. So, you get a car with 300HP and can keep up with your friends in a straight line. What after that? It's just machine against machine, which means nothing. If you want to go faster, you spend money on mods. If they want to go faster, they spend more money on mods. There's no point to it, and no end to it.

If you need to prove you can spend as much money as them, by all means, get an M3 or a 335. You'll be able to straight line race any time you want. Believe me, it'll get old.

My advice, get a car that's fun to drive. Get something you can wring out without killing yourself. Forget about horsepower numbers. Get into motorsports. Get into driving at autoX events. Don't be the dude with a 350HP BMW that gets beat by the guy with a 150HP Miata. Get yourself a reliable car that's fun to drive, and for the love of god...get a manual.

The Mini is a good idea. Those cars are no joke. They're tons of fun. VW GTI is another one i'll reiterate.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #54
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Like many have already said, I would absolutely go with a 2006+ Honda Civic Si.

They offer great value:
- very well designed ergonomically, a decent interior
- good on insurance and gas
- 200hp is plenty of pickup for your age
- safe and reliable
- Relatively cheap to purchase and cheap to own.

What else could you ask for as a first car?

The M3 is hands down TOO MUCH car for your age. I've been there, and done that.
Nearly a decade later, I'm glad I can own a RWD performance coupe, maintain it properly, and respect what it offers.

Last edited by ac_2007; 01-19-2014 at 09:30 PM.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #55
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
I'd choose the civic si (2006-2011) over the RSX type s. IIRC, the civic has the LSD where as the RSX does not
Civic Si is a good car, and does indeed have the LSD. But the RSX has a liftback, way more cargo room, and IMO has a far better cockpit. The whole dash layout of the Si is something I couldn't live with.

LSD makes more of a difference in a RWD car. It's always better to have one, IMO. But I drove an RSX-S for 8 years and never missed it having an LSD.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #56
simon_c

My Ride: 2.5rs
Don't do it. You're going to be in over your head when something goes wrong. It's high likely that at 17 yo you will most likely crash the car at some point. No offense. All the money that you spend on the car (assuming you even have money to do that) can be better spent elsewhere to have fun. At almost 100k a lot of things will start to go out on you and it's going to be a money pit. Don't do it.
simon_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #57
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:

You're heading in the wrong direction here. You are going to put such a hurt on your wallet (your parents wallet) that its not even funny. You need to get the high mileage BMWs out of your head at this point in life. Don't be another spoiled kid with an attitude like you have to drive a high end car and try to be something you're not. You're a young kid on a budget and that doesn't mix well with high mileage BMWs. Don't worry about what everyone else is driving or doing. Be yourself and you will go much further in life. You haven't even bought the car and you're already putting a chip in it! Do you have any idea what is involved with the 335 and the issues they commonly have? Have you researched the maintenance costs involved? I don't mean to sound like a prick but your trying to run when you haven't even learned to walk yet. If you really want a BMW and you have a budget of $14000 then look for a non M E46 for around the $8000 price range. That way you will have the initial $3000 or so to get it into shape and then another couple grand left over for the issues that pop up within the next year of driving it. Then make sure you save another couple grand for the following year, and so on and so forth. You think that's crazy, then you really aren't going to like the amount of money the E46 M or the E90 335 is going to cost you. Slow down and get yourself a nice little first car. The honda sounds like a good place to start. If you want sporty then find a nice SI that's a few years old.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #58
VishTheFish

what happened to the days of driving whatever you had! When I got my license, I drove my parents '97 chrysler cirrus for almost 7 years. That was almost 8 years ago. I didn't care, neither of my friends did. Got us where we needed to go, and had a blast.

** Removed - Tim330i **
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #59
fiveightandten

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
what happened to the days of driving whatever you had! When I got my license, I drove my parents '97 chrysler cirrus for almost 7 years. That was almost 8 years ago. I didn't care, neither of my friends did. Got us where we needed to go, and had a blast.
Amen!

I drove an '87 Celica ST. 5 speed manual. It was WAY more car than I needed. We had just as much fun driving in my friend's Ford Tempo. When you're 17 now, you see street racing vids on youtube and have to have a fast car. When your friends have them, it's tough not to. Glad i'm not growing up now.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #60
Tenaciousduck

My Ride: 2004 330CI ZHP
Unbelievable the cars teenagers are getting (even looking at) these days. I stayed with a 1978 Aspen, moved to a 2003 Cavalier, and so on. My first cars weren't power machines, but hell, we drove them hard and had great times getting from A to B.

I'm not sure why the Op is even considering this car, I too would be looking at a Civic Si or Jetta (cause I own one and love it)

http://www.rx8club.com/itrader.php?u=67111
Tenaciousduck is offline   Reply With Quote