E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #81
CJin2552

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
I hate this kind of advice here and I'm sorry but its hard for me to sit back when someone says something like this. I'm sure most know my stance on younger people and BMWs here as I think its ridiculous.

You say you bought your E46 at 17 "and got lucky". The key words being in quotes there. This is the wrong way to go about buying any kind of car and its absurd that anyone would steer a kid away from an M3 just to have them get into a high maintenance non M. You contradict yourself in this post telling stories of friends who bought BMWs and had huge problems, but then telling OP to buy the same car and roll the dice basically on his financial future. The truth is that you had no business buying your car either obviously if you considered the ownership as lucky. I try to tell people to prepare for the worst and expect the best here and kids chime in with stories of getting "lucky" on their BMW.

Cars are for transportation when you're young and no young kid has any business driving any kind of high end brand car. It creates an image that is negative to others and causes problems down the road. Just look at this thread if you disagree with me. Here we have a young kid feeling like he needs to put himself in over his head so he can be cool like his friends. If those kids showed up at school with a toyota corolla then we wouldn't even be having this discussion with this kid.

OP I will say it once more here. You have absolutely no business driving a high end, high maintenance BMW. You can't afford it and there's a 95% chance that it will end up in a disaster.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I just meant that I got lucky that the previous owner took care of it. It had 132,900 miles when I took ownership of it, and I haven't had any huge maintenance on it. I'm against younger people having fast cars, because of the temptations and all. I'm probably just wording myself wrong in the advice, because I agree with what you've been saying. I just figure if he truly wants a BMW, he should go Non-M. I personally don't think that he should buy a BMW fresh out of the gate. It's not really up to me what he does though, it just seemed like he was only looking into BMWs and wasn't interested in much else, so it really is just more of "Go with a Non-M E46 if you're going with BMW".

Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #82
yoyomin

My Ride: 2002 330i
If you could flush 20K down the drain and it wouldn't even hurt, then by all means go for it. Personally I wouldn't buy a car costing more than my monthly salary, especially when you are young.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #83
K1lao

My Ride: Toyota Tacoma
Ok ok thanks for all the advice appreciate it! I'm still debating right now so ill keep updating

K1lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #84
m3_csl_e46

My Ride: M3 CSL
I think, before having an M3, it's better drive something less powerful at least a couple of years...
M3 is a car that really needs skilled driver, otherwise it may bite you when you less expect it...

m3_csl_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #85
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_csl_e46 View Post
I think, before having an M3, it's better drive something less powerful at least a couple of years...
M3 is a car that really needs skilled driver, otherwise it may bite you when you less expect it...

I think its more about the cost of ownership than anything else. Today's V6 honda accords put out about the same kind of power that an old M3 does. Its the fact that if you don't have thousands of dollars in disposable income it can be a bad experience.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #86
m3_csl_e46

Accords aren't rwd with short base and lightweight...

Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #87
Tenaciousduck

My Ride: 2004 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Accords aren't rwd with short base and lightweight...

And an E46 M3 (not CSL), is lightweight? A 2014 coupe accord has a curb weight of 3397. M3 is around 3415
http://www.rx8club.com/itrader.php?u=67111
Tenaciousduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #88
Jimfred

My Ride: 2004 325 coupe
Coming from a dad who bought his daughter a 03m3 smg you must hate your parents because first time it goes to the shop you'll be running to them for money.
Her first car was a 04 325 and it was a great car,my bank offered a warrenty on it that cost 2200 for four years and it took care of everything,within a year they paid for over 4500 in repairs,but they won't offer a premium warranty on a M it will only cover major parts and 2 days ago she started the car and the check engine light came on and it was running rough so I had it towed to the dealer,2coils are bad so I had them replace all of them plus its time for type2 inspection and the vanos has been seeping a little oil.
Just got off the phone with the dealer so far the bill is 2200
But it's my fault because I live the way a E46 looks
Jimfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #89
s1monove

My Ride: M3 Coupe
Surely this can only end in disaster? OP, seriously consider getting something less powerful for your first car. I can't believe your parents would buy you a car like an m3 or a 335 at 17. Its madness. Then you're considering chipping the 335? Jesus..
Take the advice already given here, get something less powerful. You've already said you cant keep up with your mates cars, which to me means your already racing. A more powerful car with no experience will only end one way...
You will have many, many years of enjoyable driving ahead of you when you get a bit more experience behind the wheel. Maybe they could even buy you a cheap pos daily driver and a track car to practice in at weekends?
I know where i'd be now if I had a car like this at 17, rotted away in a box underground!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #90
njbmw90

My Ride: 2004 M3 CB/CINN
My 17 year old cousins parents bought him a 2008 328i. 2 weeks after having it he gets pulled over doing 115 in a 55 license gone.

Not saying that's you but it's most 17 year olds when they start driving they have the need for speed. Get a e46 325,330 and learn about them then upgrade to a m few years down the line.

I'm glad I started with a 325 before getting my m3!!

njbmw90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #91
NLeaver

My Ride: 2000 323i
I'm 17 and had an e46 323i wagon for my first car--5-speed of course. Great car, dad got tboned by someone running a red. End of that car. Went to buy another 3 series. Family budget of 15k. Found a great, 2 owner 2000 323i with low mileage, sports package, and a 5 speed-$6400. Now I have money to maintain it and drop a few mods here and there. The 323i is light, rwd, and enough power for a teenager. Buying a car significantly cheaper than your budget is a wise move,,

NLeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #92
ThreeOhFive

My Ride: 2002 330i
Don't. A 330i is half the price, 2 doors more and just as fast.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #93
Agent83

My Ride: 2011 335 xdrive
If you want to have real fun get a Honda S2000. Sure, you won't be able to haul everyone around but at 17, honestly the less distractions the better!

Agent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #94
e46bmwm3

My Ride: M3
i recommend

i recommend a G35 coupe has plenty of juice looks and "pretty comparable" to the M cars, I've owned 2 m3's and several g35 coupes they are easy to maintain unlike the bmws which is a car you'll end spending a bit more.
or you can be like one of my friends that got an m3 right out of high school.. check out the link below maybe it'll help u if u do end up looking for an m3 everů

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1030241
Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #95
m3_csl_e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent83 View Post
If you want to have real fun get a Honda S2000. Sure, you won't be able to haul everyone around but at 17, honestly the less distractions the better!

I have both of them and s2000 is way too hard to control at the limits, comparing to m3. It spins more unpredictable than the m3, especially on slippery road.

I'd better go for a 325 or 330 as a starter car...

Last edited by m3_csl_e46; 04-02-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #96
Agent83

My Ride: 2011 335 xdrive
Quote:
I have both of them and s2000 is way too hard to control at the limits, comparing to m3. It spins more unpredictable than the m3, especially on slippery road.

I'd better go for a 325 or 330 as a starter car...

I'd agree with you as the S2000 is quite driver based with it's lack of traction control or hand holding electronics. If you can get passed that learning curve without destroying it though, I believe it makes you a better driver and helps build a solid respect for RWD. Well, that's what it did for me anyway... lol

Agent83 is offline   Reply With Quote