E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
Need some advise on LCAB

Well when you look at the attached photo it's obvious my LCAB needs to be changed ASAP. Here's what I need advise on: I brought my car to a shop to get the rack and pinion changed which went off pretty good until I got it back and had this horrific shake from 50-70mph. Keep in mind this shop was not my first choice because it looks 3 notches less than a chopshop. Well I immediately blamed the shop and had it towed back. Now the shop manager is telling me that my LCAB was causing the shake and I couldn't notice it before because my old rack had a lot of play. Does this sound legitimate at all or like he's just trying to get more money out of me? Either way the bushings are going to be a diy. The picture is of my passenger side LCAB taken from in front. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140122_170447.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	543691  

Last edited by jpri; 01-23-2014 at 12:00 AM.
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
M325er22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 158
My Ride: 2001 325i
That looks pretty shot to me.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
M325er22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Cavi Mike
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,313
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
You've got a bent wheel or it's off balance. Highly unlikely it's anything the shop did and it definitely didn't need to be towed - the car is perfectly drivable. Stop over-reacting.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
Maybe I wasn't clear on my question. I know it wasn't the shops fault now. I had the car towed because I found power steering fluid on my belly pan after I just had the rack changed so I didn't want to risk driving back to the shop 10 miles. No rims are bent and they are perfectly balanced and aligned. I just want to know if the bushings being in this condition could cause such a shake.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #5
Cavi Mike
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,313
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
No.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
Hey OP. It's hard to say since you are AWD and theres a whole lot of stuff going on there. Regardless of whether or not the LCABs could cause a shake, they still need to be changed. I'd change it and go from there. They will usually cause vibration under braking if failed. gl!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
Thanks Mango. I am having a strong shutter, I guess you could call it, when braking and the shaking that I'm feeling is strongest when merging lanes or making turns. I hope it is just the LCABs but I'll just have to go with the flow and wish for the best.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #8
Cowspoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 661
My Ride: 328Ci
What exactly shutters? Does your entire car vibrate lightly like a rough road or violently like the wheel is made of stone?
Does the steering wheel rock back and forth when making turns on its own?

There's just a ton of parts both in the rear and front that could cause this. I would just jack the car up and start pressing on the wheels to find play and pin point the movement. Everything should be firm
__________________
spacebarissolazy
doesntfeelikebeingpressed
Cowspoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 AM   #9
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
The car itself has a small shutter but the steering wheel makes my arm shake as if one side is over balanced and the other has no balance at all. When I finish my merge or turn the shake continues for a short time then slows down slightly once I drive straight again.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 AM   #10
Cavi Mike
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,313
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
*sigh* Worn bushings can't cause vibrations. They may make a vibration worse - but there is NO POSSIBLE WAY a worn bushing can cause a vibration. What exactly do you think is going to shake? There's nothing spinning there. It's like saying the loose hinge on your ashtray is just going to start shaking your center console. No. Something else is causing the vibration. If your tires and wheels are really "perfectly balanced and perfectly straight" than it's simply something else in the drivetrain.

If this isn't what you want to hear - too damn bad. The LCAB's aren't causing your vibration and that's all there is to it.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 AM   #11
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
Cavi, it's not that I don't want to hear it. I'd be happy to know what is truly causing the vibration. However, cars are a science and in science anything is possible until completely disproved. I have done my research on the worn bushing and about 75% of sources say that a worn bushing can cause vibrations in the suspension system. I already stated what my question was and I'd appreciate you not stating that this is impossible especially after several mechanics and websites have stated otherwise. Due to the wear on these bushings the can move upwards and downwards very freely giving the possibility of causing vibration. I will be getting both bushings changed within a week. I will post the results no matter if I am right or wrong for others to reference. If you feel the need to give me more negative feedback please don't.

2004 BMW 330xi Silver-Grey
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 AM   #12
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
*sigh* Worn bushings can't cause vibrations. They may make a vibration worse - but there is NO POSSIBLE WAY a worn bushing can cause a vibration. What exactly do you think is going to shake? There's nothing spinning there. It's like saying the loose hinge on your ashtray is just going to start shaking your center console. No. Something else is causing the vibration. If your tires and wheels are really "perfectly balanced and perfectly straight" than it's simply something else in the drivetrain.

If this isn't what you want to hear - too damn bad. The LCAB's aren't causing your vibration and that's all there is to it.
Worn lower control arm bushings can in fact cause horrible vibrations. If the control arm isn't secure/tight within the bushing how the hell is there not going to be vibration? Have you any idea how the e46 suspension is assembled? I've noticed all day today you've been pissed for some reason and you're bashing everyone's threads, and that's your business, but don't feed false information when you don't know what your talking about.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 AM   #13
Cavi Mike
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,313
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpri View Post
cars are a science and in science anything is possible until completely disproved.
And for some reason you think the science isn't already out on this? Sorry buddy - just because you don't understand doesn't mean it hasn't already been proven. So go ahead and keep throwing money at the wrong parts of your car - won't matter to me - but I will make sure to correct you every time you're wrong so you don't spread your ignorance any farther than this.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Worn lower control arm bushings can in fact cause horrible vibrations. If the control arm isn't secure/tight within the bushing how the hell is there not going to be vibration? Have you any idea how the e46 suspension is assembled? I've noticed all day today you've been pissed for some reason and you're bashing everyone's threads, and that's your business, but don't feed false information when you don't know what your talking about.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thank you for backing me, even if not intended.

2004 BMW 330xi Silver-Grey
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 AM   #15
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpri View Post
Well when you look at the attached photo it's obvious my LCAB needs to be changed ASAP. Here's what I need advise on: I brought my car to a shop to get the rack and pinion changed which went off pretty good until I got it back and had this horrific shake from 50-70mph. Keep in mind this shop was not my first choice because it looks 3 notches less than a chopshop. Well I immediately blamed the shop and had it towed back. Now the shop manager is telling me that my LCAB was causing the shake and I couldn't notice it before because my old rack had a lot of play. Does this sound legitimate at all or like he's just trying to get more money out of me? Either way the bushings are going to be a diy. The picture is of my passenger side LCAB taken from in front. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Replace the lcab's and see if you can go back and look at the work performed by this said shop. You said it began after you had the rack installed. I'm also positive something was disturbed in the process, obviously. I had bad gas with 30% water in it and it had my car out for 3 days. I ended up troubleshooting everything and in the end it was the gas. I thought " I just got gas and after that it started to misfire ". What I'm saying op is that if car wasn't doing that then I would double check the shops work. You already have doubts about the shop. Go with your gut. It shouldn't have that issue if it was just sitting in the shop having something else replaced. Just saying.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by always-there; 01-23-2014 at 03:15 AM.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 AM   #16
Cavi Mike
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,313
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Worn lower control arm bushings can in fact cause horrible vibrations. If the control arm isn't secure/tight within the bushing how the hell is there not going to be vibration?
ORLY? So tell me oh wise one, what RPM range do these bushings spin at? And what RPM are they spinning when the car is traveling at roughly 60mph? What's that you say? The bushings don't spin? The bushings are static objects and the control arms only rotate when the car goes over undulations in the road? But they vibrate, you say? And they just so happen to vibrate at the EXACT same speed that a bent/off-balance wheel happens to vibrate at?

Man you people are retarded.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #17
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
ORLY? So tell me oh wise one, what RPM range do these bushings spin at? And what RPM are they spinning when the car is traveling at roughly 60mph? What's that you say? The bushings don't spin? The bushings are static objects and the control arms only rotate when the car goes over undulations in the road? But they vibrate, you say? And they just so happen to vibrate at the EXACT same speed that a bent/off-balance wheel happens to vibrate at?

Man you people are retarded.
Get the heck outta' here. I'm so tired of your arrogant/condescending attitude. Your input isn't valuable nor do we need it. Go join the Mustang forum, you'll fit right in. Never go full retard.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 AM   #18
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,220
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Op, replace the lcb's and go from there. I had this issue a while back and it fixed it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #19
jpri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 25
My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
You've got a serious attitude problem dude. They have counseling for that. If you have problems at home you need to take it up with what's causing the problem, not with complete strangers seeking help. If you feel I'm going in the wrong direction offer other possibilities don't just completely state that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyone who has ever touched a car can say that a bent rim or off balance can cause shaky steering. I know what both feel like and if that were the problem I would not have asked for help on here. Stop trying to piss people off because I'll just keep sitting here cleaning my Glock .22, Mossberg 500, and LMT 5.56 while you're liberal ass just keeps sulking in the corner because "people won't listen to me!"

2004 BMW 330xi Silver-Grey
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #20
Cavi Mike
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,313
My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Op, replace the lcb's and go from there. I had this issue a while back and it fixed it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
It didn't fix it, it just masked the problem. You don't have any idea how any of this works.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 01-23-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2004, 330xi, lcab, lower control arm bushing, steering

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use