E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #21
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Get the heck outta' here. I'm so tired of your arrogant/condescending attitude. Your input isn't valuable nor do we need it. Go join the Mustang forum, you'll fit right in. Never go full retard.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah and I'm tired of people spreading ignorance like it's fact. You're the one that needs to get lost so no more people end up as lost as you.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:39 AM   #22
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Yeah and I'm tired of people spreading ignorance like it's fact. You're the one that needs to get lost so no more people end up as lost as you.
Do you beat your wife? Seems like it.

always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #23
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Nope. Just people like you.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 AM   #24
jpri

My Ride: 04 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Replace the lcab's and see if you can go back and look at the work performed by this said shop. You said it began after you had the rack installed. I'm also positive something was disturbed in the process, obviously. I had bad gas with 30% water in it and it had my car out for 3 days. I ended up troubleshooting everything and in the end it was the gas. I thought " I just got gas and after that it started to misfire ". What I'm saying op is that if car wasn't doing that then I would double check the shops work. You already have doubts about the shop. Go with your gut. It shouldn't have that issue if it was just sitting in the shop having something else replaced. Just saying.

Thanks. I already have the set of bushings coming in. The shop mechanic said basically I've always had the vibrations but since the old rack was bad and had a lot of play I wasn't able to feel it until the slack was taken out with the new rack. I did feel the same vibration before it was changed but it was so minimum it didn't bother me and I actually thought the rack was the culprit. Like I said before I was interrupted, once they are changed I will post an update on my finding for others to reference and the other guy will just call me a fake because his tampons twisted.

2004 BMW 330xi Silver-Grey
jpri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #25
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpri View Post
Thanks. I already have the set of bushings coming in. The shop mechanic said basically I've always had the vibrations but since the old rack was bad and had a lot of play I wasn't able to feel it until the slack was taken out with the new rack. I did feel the same vibration before it was changed but it was so minimum it didn't bother me and I actually thought the rack was the culprit. Like I said before I was interrupted, once they are changed I will post an update on my finding for others to reference and the other guy will just call me a fake because his tampons twisted.

Cool bro. Let's us know. Yea, his vagina hurts I guess, who cares.

always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #26
Cavi Mike
Banned User

I never said it wouldn't mask the vibration - I was simply trying to convey to you that a worn bushing can't cause the vibration. But you don't want to hear it. You just want to live in your own little bubble.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
Unless there was physical damage to the steering rack, I think the swap was a waste of time and $ and it was not a cause of initial problem for the OP.
Bushings should be changed, but they are not likely to fix vibration.
Wheel bearing, out of balance tire....almost impossible to diagnose over the Internet.

OP, you have to find good mechanic and do proper evaluation for your issue, a shop that is specializes in German cars should do good for you.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #28
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Well when you look at the attached photo it's obvious my LCAB needs to be changed ASAP. Here's what I need advise on: I brought my car to a shop to get the rack and pinion changed which went off pretty good until I got it back and had this horrific shake from 50-70mph. Keep in mind this shop was not my first choice because it looks 3 notches less than a chopshop. Well I immediately blamed the shop and had it towed back. Now the shop manager is telling me that my LCAB was causing the shake and I couldn't notice it before because my old rack had a lot of play. Does this sound legitimate at all or like he's just trying to get more money out of me? Either way the bushings are going to be a diy. The picture is of my passenger side LCAB taken from in front. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Assuming LCABs = FCABs. Those FCABs are fecked so it sounds legit. But I would have thought any decent shop would insist on replacing them as part of the rack job rather than let you hit the road with a new rack and fecked up bushes. They are not going to do the new rack much good. I would certainly have pointed it out to you and at least given you the option to have them replaced. Not like they cost much or take that long to replace.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #29
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
*sigh* Worn bushings can't cause vibrations. They may make a vibration worse - but there is NO POSSIBLE WAY a worn bushing can cause a vibration. What exactly do you think is going to shake? There's nothing spinning there. It's like saying the loose hinge on your ashtray is just going to start shaking your center console. No. Something else is causing the vibration. If your tires and wheels are really "perfectly balanced and perfectly straight" than it's simply something else in the drivetrain.

If this isn't what you want to hear - too damn bad. The LCAB's aren't causing your vibration and that's all there is to it.
Assuming LCABs = FCABs, you are being a bit pedantic man. The bushings aren't the source of the vibration. Thats true. A part of their role is to absorb vibration eminating from other sources, usually from the steering components, transferred through the wishbone. But the wishbone is an integral part of the steering geometry and the bushings provide anchorage and support for the wishbone. If the wishbones are waving around because the bushings are non existent then its impossible to achieve the correct steering geometry particularly under load and that, in itself, will cause vibration even if all other aspects of steering system are perfect. So knackered bushes certainly contribute to front end vibration. Typical symptoms would be knocking and tram lining, pulling to one side. But I'm sure you know this really. Just being stubborn.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #30
jpri

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the FCAB and LCAB every mechanic and shop have called it Lower Control arm bushing. I pulled the pick below from Google. What he's pointing at on his car is exactly what I am calling the LCAB.

I am not being stubborn if you where able to see through the BS in this thread I was trying to say that the mechanic told me the LCABs are causing the vibration and I was trying to find out what else could cause the vibration other than the bushings in the event that they are changed and I still have a vibration I will know what to look at next. I understand it is impossible to give an accurate diagnosis over the Internet especially not being able to look at the car in it's entirety.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390495184237.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	543722  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #31
RayPooley

Quote:
I'm not sure if there's a difference between the FCAB and LCAB every mechanic and shop have called it Lower Control arm bushing. I pulled the pick below from Google. What he's pointing at on his car is exactly what I am calling the LCAB.

I am not being stubborn if you where able to see through the BS in this thread I was trying to say that the mechanic told me the LCABs are causing the vibration and I was trying to find out what else could cause the vibration other than the bushings in the event that they are changed and I still have a vibration I will know what to look at next. I understand it is impossible to give an accurate diagnosis over the Internet especially not being able to look at the car in it's entirety.

The "just being stubborn" comment was a nudge in the ribs for Cavi Mike not you. But yes. Those are the Front Control Arm Bushes in the pic. If you look at that boomerang shaped bracket, the wishbone, which goes from the FCAB to the bottom of the hub assembly it doesn't take a genius to figure out that, if the FCAB is missing or the rubber has disintegrated, then the front wheels, and steering geometry, are going to be all over the place. So, replacing them will cure your problem, or at least a goodly chunk of your problem. As I said earlier the shop should really have pointed this out to you when they were changing the rack. It would have been noticable and it would not have increased your bill by that much in terms of parts and labour costs. But I don't think they are trying to rip you off. Just a bit negligent I guess.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-23-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #32
jpri

OK. Sorry I misread that. I was just kind of sick of the attitude I was receiving from Cavi. No need for him to say I'm wasting money and time when the part needs to be changed anyways.

When I changed the rack I can see why everyone thinks it was a waste of money since it sounds like it wasn't bad enough however the old one did have a leak and both boots were dry rotted. I'd rather take preventative measure than reactive. Must just be my Police mentality.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #33
RayPooley

Quote:
OK. Sorry I misread that. I was just kind of sick of the attitude I was receiving from Cavi. No need for him to say I'm wasting money and time when the part needs to be changed anyways.

When I changed the rack I can see why everyone thinks it was a waste of money since it sounds like it wasn't bad enough however the old one did have a leak and both boots were dry rotted. I'd rather take preventative measure than reactive. Must just be my Police mentality.

They are actually quite easy to do yourself and there are quite a few DIY vids out there.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #34
jpri

You're referring to the bushing diy or rack?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #35
RayPooley

Quote:
You're referring to the bushing diy or rack?

Bushings. Check this out. The guy does actually refer to the movement in your wheels that I was talking about.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-23-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #36
jpri

Yeah. I was looking around and watched this one earlier. From all the videos I've seen it looks unbelievably easy. The only thing I have a problem with is that I'll have to remove the old bushing from it's bracket and pressing the new ones. I'll either afro-engineer it or spend the 60$ and just get my own small press. Thank you though

Old 01-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #37
RayPooley

Quote:
Yeah. I was looking around and watched this one earlier. From all the videos I've seen it looks unbelievably easy. The only thing I have a problem with is that I'll have to remove the old bushing from it's bracket and pressing the new ones. I'll either afro-engineer it or spend the 60$ and just get my own small press. Thank you though

Here's a better one. Having the tool would be nice but, in reality, its not going to be a tool that you will get much use out of. You can generally cut the old ones off
and persuade the new ones on with lube.

http://blog.bavauto.com/15088/bmw-di...-bmw-3-series/

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-23-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #38
jpri

It's not really that stage that I'm worried about. It's removing the bushing from the "lollipop" as I've heard it called and getting the new one in. I've found a cheap 6 ton bench press at harbor freight so I'll just spend the money.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #39
RayPooley

Quote:
It's not really that stage that I'm worried about. It's removing the bushing from the "lollipop" as I've heard it called and getting the new one in. I've found a cheap 6 ton bench press at harbor freight so I'll just spend the money.

I wouldn't bother. Just buy the whole bushing assembly including brackets. They are not that expensive.

Example: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=31126783376
Old 01-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #40
jpri

Can't do it for the 330xi. Only the two i and ci come with the lollipop and bushing already together. I've been hunting for them pre-pressed with no luck. The only site that does it cost 150$ per side.

Tags
2004, 330xi, lcab, lower control arm bushing, steering