E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Nikon, canon, or sony.

I narrowed my search down to the d3200 (current deal for $360), rebel t3i, and the sony a58 (410)

I'm a newbie. I just want to take random pictures of hiking and maybe a bit of action stuff, but I'm not picky. The price of the 3200 sounds tempting. Any suggestions? I want to buy one tonight

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
G-Ruck

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I'm a nikon guy myself (D5100) Its not so much the camera but the lenses that matter. I'd get the cheaper body. Then you have more money for lenses
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
BreakMyWallet

Yeah. Just looking for the best option with the 18-55 for now. I'm loving sonys lineup but I wouldn't mind saving money on the Nikon. It's my first camera, after all.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
G-Ruck

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I would go nikon or canon. There lenses are much betterv
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
I shoot with Canon, love my lenses. Can't go wrong either way you go but if you get into it, you'll be wanting an upgrade easily within the next year and half.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Probably too late to offer advice, but I would buy used. Check out Fredmiranda.com or your local Craigslist. You'll get a better camera a cheaper price. The d3200 is so entry level you Will be wanting something pretty soon if get into it. If you don't end up liking photography you can probably resell the used one without losing much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited by tachi1247; 01-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
BreakMyWallet

I had a 3200 on lock but I'm waiting it out. I'm not sold on it. T3i is solid, so I'll see

Old 01-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
I like the balance of the Nikon camera and lenses as well as the fact that Nikon puts the focus drive in the body, not the lens which makes the lenses in some categories cheaper than the Cannon... Depend on how your going to use them..
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
tachi1247

My Ride: '04 330i
Don't get hung up on the megapixels. You will be better off with a higher end older camera with lower megapixels than a new 24MP model that might be further down the product line. A D70s or D80 would both probably be better than a 3200 and are available used all over the place for less. Use the money you save to buy a nice prime lens or a flash.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
I'm a Canon guy, but it's really personal preference; you can't go wrong with either.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
nikon d3200 is an awesome camera

Sig by So Lowww
Pictures I take
OVOxo till we overdose
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
omarabdelaal

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
I bought my nikon d7000 for $600..And it takes pretty great pics

Sent from my LG-D800 using BimmerApp mobile app
omarabdelaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Today I saw the Canon T3 w/ 18-55mm for $389 (free shipping no tax). The kit with the extras is $439.95. You have to put the item in the cart to see the difference

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_Digital.html
Old 01-27-2014, 09:03 PM   #14
ik47

My Ride: bmw m3 e46
Im canon guy .but i tell you this save up some money and buy sony a77 . I have this camera along with my 5d mark iii and i find using alot more my a77.its a true beast

ik47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
BreakMyWallet

I don't think I'm ready for an a77. Haha

Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 AM   #16
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Break, have you actually tried the ones you're considering?

Here's why I ask: I've had my D80 for maybe about 6 yrs now. I love it, but it's the only DSLR I've ever owned, so my experience is highly limited. And I'm a long way from a kick ass shooter. The camera is still 7.64 times better than I am.

I've been drooling over the D7100. A few weeks ago, I was in Best Buy and they had one with power, so I goofed around with it for a bit. The display was awesome compared to mine, the data bar inside the view finder was easier to read, and I'm sure there would be a million other things I'd love about it.

But I found the new Mode knob design annoying. Like really annoying. It's now a two-level knob and there's a push-button in the center of the upper knob. I'm sure a camera with more features can never have the same simplicity of controls as a camera with less features. But the Mode knob design was a buzz kill for me compared to my D80.

So I tell you that because specs are specs and features are features, but when it's all said and done, it's gotta feel good in your hand, and make it easy for you to do things you want to do with it.

If you haven't yet, I suggest going to a store and taking pictures with the cameras you're considering. Take some far-aways and close ups. Switch the camera to Aperture priority and take pics at the min, middle and max apertures. How easy was it to change those settings? Switch it to manual and take pics changing the shutter speed and aperture each time. Take a pic looking at the sunlight in the window, and then take a pic facing away from the window and adjust the camera settings to make each picture look ok. How easy was that? Now switch it to Portrait mode and take a pic of the sales guy/girl. How fast and intuitive was it to switch? Now turn off the auto focus and manually focus on a paper clip on the counter right in front of you. How easy was that to do? And so on and so on.

Others here can advise you on specs and lenses and so on far better than I can. But the ease of use and feel of the camera are important (keeping in mind that you'll learn and get used to whatever you end up with) so I encourage you to try them out before buying.

$0.02
If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize there's more to life than what we have known.
And I can't believe I've spent so long living lies I know were wrong inside,
I've just begun to see the light.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #17
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I've heard a lot of people complain about the Mode dial. But really how many times do you need to turn it? Mine stays on Manual... unless I'm shooting and drinking then I pop it in Auto. lol

I thought the same too about the mode dial..i'm over it now
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
I would go with Nikon or Canon because of their lenses. That said, I am a Canon guy.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #19
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
I've heard a lot of people complain about the Mode dial. But really how many times do you need to turn it? Mine stays on Manual... unless I'm shooting and drinking then I pop it in Auto. lol

I thought the same too about the mode dial..i'm over it now
I use mine underwater, which means two things. One, I'm back and forth between Auto and Aperture a lot, especially when shooting macro. And two, the ease with which the housing controls work (esp while wearing gloves) depends a lot on how simple and well spaced the controls on the camera body are.

Having said that, I do think "it's different than what I'm used to" doesn't always =/= "wow, this sucks". So maybe I'd get over it, too.
If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize there's more to life than what we have known.
And I can't believe I've spent so long living lies I know were wrong inside,
I've just begun to see the light.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
BreakMyWallet

Thanks for all of the input guys. I've been back and forth with it, but I picked up a crazy deal on a 3200 for 329 shipped. Hopefully I will be frequenting this forum more!!

I did get a chance to play with some, I really liked the 3200 and the feel of the sony the best, but I couldn't justify the price difference