E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Exclamation What's wrong with my Coilovers?

I recently bought some slightly used ST coilovers from BAV AUTO Recycling and I got everything but the rear spring adjusters. That means I'm bottomed out in the rear and not the front. My ride is worse than when I had my blown suspension...

Will buying rear spring adjusters most-likely stop this or should i refund..

My ride is very stiff my spare tire basically jumps over decent bumps.. ridiculous....

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Get them to give you adjusters. Why did you install an incomplete suspension system?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
go back and ask them for the spring adjuster like previous post stated. if they don't give you it then i'd refund and buy brand new coilovers for less trouble.

as for stiffness, you can change the damper, i believe there's a knob on top of the strut that can reduce the dampers.

Build in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamada12 View Post
You could put in a cold air intake that would probably give u 5-15 go increase and if u put a cat back exhaust u could get 40+ hp (pretty sure it more but) together plus high octane gas maybe u could get like 50+ hp
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRot325ci View Post
go back and ask them for the spring adjuster like previous post stated. if they don't give you it then i'd refund and buy brand new coilovers for less trouble.

as for stiffness, you can change the damper, i believe there's a knob on top of the strut that can reduce the dampers.
I have asked and they can't because the kit they sold was as is w/o rear adjusters... And Do I need to take the strut off to adjust... and ST is giving an estimate of $140 for a set and Raceland is offering $70 for a set, theres a 1mm difference in spring diameter.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
trentcdrums

blank

Last edited by trentcdrums; 01-25-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
WDE46

Get the proper size. 1mm is a lot when you are talking about forces over 1000 lbs.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Get the proper size. 1mm is a lot when you are talking about forces over 1000 lbs.

I'm shady with spending $140 or more for something I'm not guaranteed to know will fix this..

Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
WDE46

Why wouldn't it fix this?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Why wouldn't it fix this?

So you think that it will help my ride because I won't be bottomed out correct?

Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
WDE46

You're missing the threaded mount under the rear spring right? If so, that's like an inch added at minimum height setting.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i forgot to think of the 1mm being important to the forces on it.

because i must have forgot to "submit" earlier my post. i said 1 mm being so small (basically the thickness of a dime) in the difference in diameter of the spring perch i can't see it being a problem. just that to be sure the spring perch is wide enough to hold the spring on and not slide part of it off. also more importantly is that the interior diameter of the spring perch is enough that the spring clears it. too much "slop" and it'll dangle when unsuspended and too close it'll clack on it when it shifts.

i would look at each company's design to see if something could be an issue with the spring seating.

if there is still doubt go with the one that's made for it

with that said what size you need?, TMS sells the H&R ones for $80
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...1999-2005.aspx

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 01-25-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i would also be certain that your "used", "as is" suspension isn't blown or damaged. that alone could cause it to perform horribly. also how exactly is that spring being held in place now, from the stock rubber pads prong? does it really fit snug or does it move around, that could be your problem too. lastly if your rear suspension is dumped past it's limits and the front is higher, it's going to react poorly front compared to rear.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
i would also be certain that your "used", "as is" suspension isn't blown or damaged. that alone could cause it to perform horribly. also how exactly is that spring being held in place now, from the stock rubber pads prong? does it really fit snug or does it move around, that could be your problem too. lastly if your rear suspension is dumped past it's limits and the front is higher, it's going to react poorly front compared to rear.
It's deff in there snug. The diameter size on the current ST coil spring in the rear is 61mm

Old 01-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
I have ST coilovers my ride feels great. Get the piece. Who told you it would work without it? There is obviously a reason why they come with the kit when you purchase it right?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysm3 View Post
I have ST coilovers my ride feels great. Get the piece. Who told you it would work without it? There is obviously a reason why they come with the kit when you purchase it right?
I was in desperate need for suspension and bav auto had this kit for $500 shipped and I didn't think I could find a deal with a 6 month warranty like that. The set came from a dinan so I figure they were well taken care of and they deff look like it

Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #16
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
I was in desperate need for suspension and bav auto had this kit for $500 shipped and I didn't think I could find a deal with a 6 month warranty like that. The set came from a dinan so I figure they were well taken care of and they deff look like it

Get the piece. Then you dont have to worry about anything. Thats the piece that actually adjusts the spring by the way. Take picture of what the spring is sitting on from the top please.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
trentcdrums

It's the rubber perch.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #18
WDE46

Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 AM   #19
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
If they're the type that sit on the bottom of the spring perch, I have a set that I bought for my pss9 kit but didn't need. If they'll work, I'll let them go cheap.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #20
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
I was in desperate need for suspension and bav auto had this kit for $500 shipped
Whoa whoa whoa WHAT? You paid $500 for a used, incomplete kit when they're only $300 new? You can't possibly be serious...
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote