E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #1
drift.mechanic

My Ride: E46 323i
Question Summer tire choices... Too many good options!

At the end of last summer, I sold my M68's in favor of running the 2014 summer with my favorite OEM wheel, the E60 123's in RWD offset (18x8 ET20, 11kgs/wheel).

The fitment is going to be as flush as I want to go with OEM Mtek II springs, Koni yellows, M3 F+R sway bars, front pillow ball camber plates, etc. To not be too stiff, and not to destroy the speedometer's accuracy, I'm going to go with the recommended 225/40ZR18.

My issue is choosing a tire. There are so many more quality options in this size now compared to 5 years ago, it's almost intimidating.

Here are my choices top 11 choices from 98 available:
- BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp II
- BF Goodrich G-Force Super Sport
- Yokohama S-Drive
- Yokohama Avid Envigor
- Yokohama Advan S4
- Toyo Extensa HD
- Toyo Proxes-4+
- Continental Conti Extreme Contact DWS
- General G-MAX AS-03
- Goodyear Eagle GT
- Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Things to be considered:
- This is my daily driver that doesn't see any track time, although it does see spirited driving
- I want these to last more than one summer
- I do a lot of mileage, so I want minimum road noise

The past 5 summers have been spent bouncing back and forth from Falken to Kumho, but I need a change. Can't keep changing tires yearly.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by drift.mechanic; 01-26-2014 at 09:50 AM.
drift.mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
those continentals are pretty nice, they give decent feedback, and i don't think you'll be replacing them every summer (like most tires today, its ridiculous), but road noise might be an issue if you're concerned with it. and correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those Toyo Proxes like their stickiest tire, or maybe thats just a specific version?
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Out of all those tires the Extreme Contacts however you listed DWS which is an all season. If these are to be for summer go with Extreme Contact DW. My dad was in a similar situation and asked for my help just recently. He was running Yokohama S-Drives which IMHO are junk regardless of their high ratings for an ultra high performance tire as they are prone to cupping. At the end of the day he ended up going with the Contintentals and will be having them installed this week. The great thing about the Continentals is that they are relatively cheap, comfortable, wear well and perform extremely well when compared to the almighty Michelins.

Last edited by SoCaLe39; 01-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
drift.mechanic

All tires listed above are within 20$ of each other. The average price for the above listed 11 types of tires is 140$.

The BFG Sport Comp, the Advan S4 and the Toyo Proxes are by far the stickiest in the list. But low treadwear means I'm in the same boat as before with the Azenis or Ecsta's.

The Yoko's are probe to cupping, but oddly enough, I've seen more and more recently that haven't cupped and just wore straight out without lifting the tail edge of the tread blocks.

The Conti DWS is 140$, the DW is 170$ and I'm sticking to a strict budget of 150$/tire. With the list I've compiled above, thanks to my friend giving me access to his tire suppliers, the 150$ is at cost. And there is no lack of quality tires in the list above. Love those sport comps and the S4's....

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Hello BMW Experts!
I did this search last fall, needing to replace my DWS contis which although v. good on the highway, didn't thrill me otherwise. I got the Hankook Ventus Noble 3, and my second choice was the General G-Max AS3, but some say it is noisy.
It's hard to tell what your main criteria is since you list the DWS highway tire and also the Toyo Proxes stickies. I wanted more performance than the DWS had (I wasn't even impressed with it's rain grip), but also an A/S tire so I wouldn't have to drive on real snows for too long each year.
A dealer told me that Hankook is 49% owned by Michelin?

Murf
Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
no michelin on list

good job

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
john-117

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
no michelin on list

good job
Don't know if serious....
john-117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Conti DWs rule
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
drift.mechanic

Had Michelin pilot sport once, never again. Things were hard as rock, no grip when cold, little when hot, had 2 catastrophic failures within months (broken belts). That was enough to deter me for good.

Still not a fan of General tire either, had one completely delaminate on me leaving me with a swollen inner tube looking excuse for a tire.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
Unforgivable818

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Unforgivable818 Send a message via Yahoo to Unforgivable818 Send a message via Skype™ to Unforgivable818
I've been rocking BF Goodrich G-Force Sports on my e46 since I took ownership 4 years ago. (Maybe it's time I "spend more" on more top shelf rubbers?) Get the Sport Comp 2's over the originals. They look better, last longer, are quieter and seem to drive way better than the first series. The tread-wear on the Sport Comp 2 is amazingly low and once warmed up, they're pretty damn good! I don't track my car but I partake in spirited driving regularly and these take the cake for a best-bang-for-the-buck deal! A lot of good reviews on them too!

Last edited by Unforgivable818; 01-26-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Unforgivable818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
I have the Continental DWS on the rear and Michelin Pilot Sport AS on the front. The Michelin treads chunked under hard cornering and the DWS are a little soft (as noted by several users but I have noticed a problem). I have read a lot of reviews on the Tire Rack site and for handling, long life, and comfort it appears the DWS are the prohibitive favorite and what I will go with when I replace mine. The new Michelin AS3 appear to be good but, as you said, you are not a fan of the brand.

Since you are in Canada, the summer-only tires may not be as sticky in cooler weather and you may need a tire that is a good performer in lower temps. Do you drive the car year round? That may narrow your search.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Michelin pilot super sport. Great summer tire.. But they will not drift well.
Move to tire forum
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-117 View Post
Don't know if serious....
dead serious

the pilot super sport is the best tire on the market

eagles wear too fast

general are dangerous when wet

conti are dangerous when cold

the rest i'd put on a honda

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 01-26-2014 at 01:12 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:13 PM   #14
ControllerPlus

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
I recommend Toyo Proxes 4, they're great.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #15
john-117

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
dead serious

eagles wear too fast

I agree, Michelin is the market leader. Apparently, "good job" was sarcasm. I didn't understand.

Last edited by john-117; 01-26-2014 at 01:27 PM.
john-117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Thread moved to the correct section.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
drift.mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
Since you are in Canada, the summer-only tires may not be as sticky in cooler weather and you may need a tire that is a good performer in lower temps. Do you drive the car year round? That may narrow your search.
Don't be fooled, Montreal regularly hits 90-95 during the summer months. During the spring and fall, een with snow on the ground, when the air warms up, days can be in the low 70s to low 80s. I'll get use from the basically from April to October (7 months).

I only have winter tires on from December 15th to March 15th (by law). But when you know a storm is coming, you'll install them earlier or leave them on later.

All season tires here are brutal and not worth their weight in squirrel turds. Our asphalt is very coarse and quite often, very dusty. A/S tires on a sports car is a recipe for being sideways on the on-ramp or off-ramp (my two favorite local fun zones) and I'm not talking about on purpose.

Best way to get through the year, proper summer tires, and proper winter tires. No all season wacky rubber.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
blizzardz21

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
eagles wear too fast
+1, I have a set with 22xxx miles on them with 3/32" left even though they're rated for practically double that.

Mods List: BimmerBrakes SS Headers; ECIS CAI; Rogue Engineering Pulleys; Clear Front Reflectors
blizzardz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
drift.mechanic

Quote:
dead serious

eagles wear too fast

Eagles wear too fast, agreed.

General too dangerous when wet, don't agree at all.

Conti too dangerous when cold, proved that was incorrect by using Conti summers last fall at -2 celsius with no worries.

The rest you would put on a Honda, don't know why you would be putting Advan S4's or G-Force Sport Comp's on a street Honda. Neither tread is more advantageous for a FWD.

And if you were tracking your Honda, like I do in SCCA, both those tires aren't worth a damn on the track. Advan A048's for a street DOT or Hoosier R6, nothing else. These tires are like glue. Any track with decent grip and I can hang a tire all day long.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #20
drift.mechanic

I'm going to use TireRack on the advice of one of you and compare them all to eachother, minus the Generals and the Goodyears, and see side by side, what their treadwears are, customer reviews, etc

Thanks for the opinions, although the more I think about this, the more I have a feeling my mind has been made up from the start. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comps or the Advan S4's are all a slight step above the rest in the list. I'll use my short list to look into them further with TireRack.

Cheers guys, enjoy whatever is left of the weekend

Last edited by drift.mechanic; 01-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.