E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:17 AM   #81
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 754
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...10/v18n4-5.pdf

If it's tl/dr, it brings up the point of why the data collected by BLS is flawed. It mainly focuses on the fact that things change over time and that only 40% of workplace deaths are actually related to the job, such as falling into a machine. So no, OSHA is not necessary nor has it done anything.
So explain the increase in the rate of decline for fatalities post 1969 during OSHA time? It very may well having nothing to do with OSHA, but based off that chart and assuming the comparison of two only variables, one can certainly infer OSHA played a role - even if limited.

You see my point?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-29-2014 at 06:18 AM.
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #82
KingBeef
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NA
Posts: 74
My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Jesus said it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven.

Jus' sayin'.

It is also written that "the love of money is the root of all evil". Jesus never said it was evil to be rich.

Edit: To get to the point of what the gentleman was espousing in his editorial, he's right. There is a significant push by those who label themselves as liberal (not saying all liberals) to brand those who are successful as greedy and selfish individuals who have "stolen" their wealth from the poor. Whenever this has happened throughout history, turmoil has followed. And the crap he caught for using Kristolnaut (spelling is wrong I'm sure) for comparison is ridiculous. The absurd fear of any comparisons to what occurred in Europe up to and during WW2 because of what the National Socialist Worker's Party did in the regard to the Jewish population is tantamount to sticking one's head in the stand and refusing to learn from history.
__________________
I read, I learn, and occasionally I post.

Last edited by KingBeef; 01-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
KingBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #83
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,431
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeef View Post
It is also written that "the love of money is the root of all evil". Jesus never said it was evil to be rich.

Edit: To get to the point of what the gentleman was espousing in his editorial, he's right. There is a significant push by those who label themselves as liberal (not saying all liberals) to brand those who are successful as greedy and selfish individuals who have "stolen" their wealth from the poor. Whenever this has happened throughout history, turmoil has followed. And the crap he caught for using Kristolnaut (spelling is wrong I'm sure) for comparison is ridiculous. The absurd fear of any comparisons to what occurred in Europe up to and during WW2 because of what the National Socialist Worker's Party did in the regard to the Jewish population is tantamount to sticking one's head in the stand and refusing to learn from history.
are you saying it's not equally absurd to compare the "persecution" of the wealthy in 21st century America to the systematic extermination of undesireables in 1930s and 1940s Europs?

It's one thing to learn from history, it's another completely to attempt to use a hyperbole so extreme as to be ridiculous. When the wealthy are dragged from their homes, stripped of all possessions, loaded on trucks, imprisoned indefinitely, and the US creates an industry based solely on how quickly and efficiently we can work them to death, or just plain murder them, then we can entertain the comparison of the persecution of the wealthy to the Holocaust.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #84
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Smyrna
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
I think most serious people, who want to be taken serious, would (a) refrain from using Nazi analogies and (b) not demonize their ideological opponents when a Nazi analogy is used because heaven knows both sides have done it repeatedly. Unless of course you're not a serious person.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #85
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,431
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I think most serious people, who want to be taken serious, would (a) refrain from using Nazi analogies and (b) not demonize their ideological opponents when a Nazi analogy is used because heaven knows both sides have done it repeatedly. Unless of course you're not a serious person.
A. Yes
B. No. The practice of comparing things to the Holocaust should be ridiculed. Regardless of who's doing it, that kind of extreme hyperbole (I assume most instances of Holocaust comparisons are just hyperbole, although the guy in the original story seems to be genuine) should be called out whenever it appears.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #86
Cabrio330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Smyrna
Posts: 127
My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
A. Yes
B. No. The practice of comparing things to the Holocaust should be ridiculed. Regardless of who's doing it, that kind of extreme hyperbole (I assume most instances of Holocaust comparisons are just hyperbole, although the guy in the original story seems to be genuine) should be called out whenever it appears.
B. Agreed, much better statement. I would only add that one should not pretend this happens on one side only in an attempt to discredit all who hold a different view.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #87
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 535
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
B. Agreed, much better statement. I would only add that one should not pretend this happens on one side only in an attempt to discredit all who hold a different view.
Both sides practice it. I remember all the Hitler/Bush comparisons which are equally as stupid as Obama/Hitler comparisons.

Last edited by badfast; 01-29-2014 at 09:51 AM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #88
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,431
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Tom Perkins is at it again:

Quote:
Tom Perkins suggested Thursday that only taxpayers should have the right to vote -- and that wealthy Americans who pay more in taxes should get more votes.

The venture capitalist offered the unorthodox proposal when asked to name one idea that would "change the world" at a speaking engagement in San Francisco moderated by Fortune's Adam Lashinsky.

"The Tom Perkins system is: You don't get to vote unless you pay a dollar of taxes," Perkins said.

"But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars in taxes, you get a million votes. How's that?"

The audience at the Commonwealth Club reacted with laughter. But Perkins offered no immediate indication that he was joking. Asked offstage if the proposal was serious, Perkins said: "I intended to be outrageous, and it was."

Perkins seemed to be aware that he was courting controversy, saying that his voting proposal would "make you more angry than my letter to the Wall Street Journal."

That letter, published last month, compared the supposed assault on the wealthy to a wave of Nazi attacks on Jews ahead of the Holocaust.

The letter sparked a public firestorm, and the venture capital firm he co-founded -- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers -- distanced itself from his comments. Perkins has since allowed that the comparison went too far, but has not apologized for the overall message and his warning about anti-rich "radicalism."
Corporatocracy at its finest.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/14/inve...html?hpt=hp_t1
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #89
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
The idea itself isn't that illogical, albeit unconstitutional. Allowing the have nots to vote themselves the property of the haves certainty isn't a sustainable model.
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #90
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 815
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
The idea itself isn't that illogical, albeit unconstitutional. Allowing the have nots to vote themselves the property of the haves certainty isn't a sustainable model.
Nor is the reverse, which is why his position is illogical, unrealistic and as you mentioned, unconstitutional.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 02-14-2014 at 12:12 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use