E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
Bit Flip

My Ride: '04 325xi Wagon
Vibration under load after car warms up?

Hey guys, I've been having this issue for a couple weeks now.

After a good amount of driving (~45 minutes including hwy) when I step on the gas the car vibrates really bad. It continues to accelerate but it definitely shakey. Any of you had this issue before?
Bit Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
adrian8507

My Ride: E46 325xi 2002
Hey there try this after you car has been .warmed up. On a stop put your car in neutral and if.the vibration goes away and only vibrates on drive or reverse then you motor mount are not good

Sent from my LG-LG870 using BimmerApp mobile app
adrian8507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Does vibration stop or reduce after you stop accelerating? If yes, it's your front axles that are toast. If you turn the wheels all the way to one side, I bet you find a small tear or crack where all the grease is leaking out of.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Bit Flip

Yes it does stop after I stop accelerating but it does not happen until I've been driving for some time. If it were axles I would think that it would be evident whether having been driven for a long time or not.

Since it's super cold I probably won't be able to get it off the ground myself any time soon, but may take it up to a shop. I'm all for DIY but in negative temps, f no
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
SamDoe1

^ It can definitely be temperature dependent and that sounds like textbook CV failure.

I totally get the weather issue, it's fvcking cold here. I'd still just turn the wheels all the way to one side and take a peek though, shouldn't be too hard in the cold.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Bit Flip

For sure, I'll have a look and I appreciate the respone. I see you're much worse off than me in the cold of MN haha

Any recommendations on axle replacements? It seems like everyone on here is always in the "YOU BETTER GET OEM OR YOUR CAR WILL 'SPLODE" camp.

Anyone have 1st hand experience good or bad with aftermarket OEM equivalent axles?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
epfenninger

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit Flip View Post
For sure, I'll have a look and I appreciate the respone. I see you're much worse off than me in the cold of MN haha

Any recommendations on axle replacements? It seems like everyone on here is always in the "YOU BETTER GET OEM OR YOUR CAR WILL 'SPLODE" camp.

Anyone have 1st hand experience good or bad with aftermarket OEM equivalent axles?
I did, bought a front from autozone for 50 bucks, started leaking within a month and after only 4 months it completely broke on the inside and I had to replace it. This time I got a way nicer one from Northern Auto. Retain for $180 from them but worth it, won't have to do it again or worry about it breaking

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
epfenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
Bit Flip

Thanks much on the reply, I appreciate the input. I know the autozone parts are typically junk from my experience. I'm looking into the aftermarket axles from BavAuto.

Anyone have any experience with them directly?

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
Part no - 31 60 7 505200A
Part no - 31 60 7 505199A
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
SamDoe1

^ No.

Either buy new GKN axles off of Pelican parts ($$$$) or an AC Cardone OE remans from NAPA ($75+core). You can buy AC Cardones online but there's no way to verify that they are OE remans, they could be aftermarket ones too. You can tell by the hex shaped inner CV joint, the aftermarket ones have a round inner joint.

Do NOT buy aftermarket axles, you'll just set yourself up for failure. Even remanufactured OE axles are better.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Bit Flip

I'll check into the NAPA reman then. Anything with an out of round inner CV is an aftermarket?

Thanks for the advice. I'm just sure as **** not spending $500+ per axle in parts alone that's rigoddamndiculous. As this is all being said before any inspection has been done

Do you think replacing both at the same time is advisable?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
We sell the GKN-Lobro axles too. They make a number of the factory BMW axles. We have sold a LOT of the aftermarket axles. And they seem to hold up fine. One of the cars here within the staff has had a set in it for at least 50k miles with no issues.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter

Last edited by Ken@BavAuto; 01-29-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit Flip View Post
I'll check into the NAPA reman then. Anything with an out of round inner CV is an aftermarket?

Thanks for the advice. I'm just sure as **** not spending $500+ per axle in parts alone that's rigoddamndiculous. As this is all being said before any inspection has been done

Do you think replacing both at the same time is advisable?
Question one: No, anything with a ROUND inner joint is aftermarket. Anything with a HEX shaped inner joint is OE/OEM. So you're looking for a hex shaped inner joint. Make sure you open the box up at NAPA if that's where you're going to go and make sure that it's the right part, being the hex shaped joint, before you buy it.

Question two: No, just replace the one that's bad unless both are actually bad. Only do one at a time so finish one side before moving to the other. You won't save any labor by doing them both at once.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-29-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
Bit Flip

I took a quick look at the inner and outer boots and did not see a tear. It feels like the shaking is from the rear of the vehicle but how common are rear axle failures?

EDIT: Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate the advice!

Last edited by Bit Flip; 01-29-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Rear axle failures aren't very common. But lots of other things can make the car vibrate too. If you can really feel it in the floor I would suspect the rear driveshaft especially if the car has higher miles. It could be an axle, the differential, driveshaft, a wheel bearing, transmission, transfer case, basically anything that turns.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
SamDoe1

If you feel the vibration through the floor then it's likely to be the guibo or center support bearing. Rear axles don't usually fail. If you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel then it's the front axles. Doesn't need to be a tear though, if water/dirt got in there somehow it'll cause the same issue.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
Wait till the warmer weather and your problems will go away. I've been posting and dealing with this issue every winter. The only solution is warmer weather. Guess the XI wasn't made to be driven in cold weather.... Go figure

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
The wife and I took a trip to Cortland in upstate NY last weekend to see my son play Ice Hockey. The trip was to include a further trip to Buffalo to see him play 2 more games on Saturday and Sunday. I had been feeling the same problem as OP for some time and after having both the alignment and balancing rechecked I decided to make the trip and see if the symptoms reappeared. About an hour into the trip the symptoms not only reappeared but seemed to be getting much worse. I could get it to smooth out at cruising speed but was getting a noticeably worse vibration on acceleration through the mountains. We made it to our first stop without any incidents but the vibration was now even present in low speeds. After watching the game that night we thought that it would not be in our best interest to proceed 2 hours further from the house and decided that we would go home the next day. Before we left I had the wife start the car and punch the throttle, there was no discernible lifting of the engine, I then had her put it in gear and punch the throttle and wow the entire drivers side lifted up quite a bit. We drove home that day without any incidents and I ordered new motor mounts and the transfer case mount that day. Just installed the motor mounts yesterday and it has made quite a difference in the vibration. Both motor mounts had failed, complete separation from top to bottom. The only thing holding the passenger side in was the metal of the XI motor mount. I took it for a good test hop yesterday and the original symptom of vibration when warmed up was gone, however I do still have a somewhat faint vibration when driving. It does not occur on acceleration. I was unable to replace the transfer case mount as of yet but that is on the list for perhaps this weekend. My XI does have 146,000 mi on it so it was certainly time to replace motor mounts and it might even be time to perhaps replace the front axles but I am reluctant to replace the axles without any boot leaks or noise.
TT
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Bit Flip

@tttomttt

- Thanks for the info! It seems like it just warmed up here (a bit above freezing) and I noticed that the vibration stopped as well. It's a pretty violent vibration to be subject to temperature but apparently that's the case.
- My XI has ~143 on it but I purchased with 132 so I'm not sure exactly what was done since I do not have records. I do however agree on the axle thing though, I'm not going to sink the dough into it until they're in need of replacement.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #19
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
So on with the continuing saga of vibration while accelerating. Both the wife and I swore we felt the vibration in the middle of the car. With that in mind I changed the Giubo, CSB, and transfer case mount last weekend. All of these components looked OK before I removed them. This DIY started Friday night where I got home early from work and got the car up on ramps and stands and changed the oil and filter, and then trans oil and filter, all of which I had had on hand just waiting to accomplish. Saturday morning I attempted to remove the exhaust flange nuts from the front of the exhaust but of course being a north east car they just twisted and broke off as I had suspected. The exhaust was dropped from the car easily thereafter. The rest of the components were removed and replaced easily as I followed the Pelican parts tutorial. The two issues I had were the transfer case mount installation, which removed easily after cutting the rubber with a sawzall, but was a serious PIA to install and the drilling out the exhaust studs. The reassembly went smooth save for those two issues and the driveline felt smoother but I still felt the vibration lurking in the background waiting to reappear. This car is my daily driver so throughout the week the lurking vibration began to get worse and worse. Reluctantly I ordered Napa CV (A1 Cardone) axles to replace my non leaking OE axles and were installed yesterday. The installation went easily and in addition I replaced both seals which also was an easy R & R. The one question I have regarding this axle replacement is when I removed the drivers side seal I tried to rotate the drivers side differential output shaft roller bearing and it did not seem to rotate. I thought this was odd but with nothing to compare it to and not actually being sure it was not rotating as I was going strictly by feel I figured I would compare it to other side when I removed it. Having finished this side I removed the other side and that bearing was a ball type bearing and rotated freely. I assembled the passenger side with minimal difficulty and the test drive revealed none of the previous vibration which I forgot to mention was getting so bad by Friday that even at low speeds the vibration was getting scary. I followed several of the CV replacement DIY's on here and I want to thank all that contributed. I opted to remove the tie rod end and inner ball joint as felt these fixed points would allow me to avoid getting another alignment. I did feel a different type of vibration @ 80 mph which might be tire related so now I have to troubleshoot this. If anyone out there has an answer about the differential roller bearing I would appreciate it as a search here did not reveal any info. I hope I helped someone else with any of these issues and if I can help answer any questions please ask.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #20
lgb240

My Ride: e46 325xiT e30 325iT
I'm having the same symptoms (see my post "long way from home in Orlando, Fl need some help). Similar conditions to what everyone here is posting - vibrations under load, after the car warms up.

In Florida, looking under the car, the front passenger side outer CV boot was torn and had thrown grease around the front hub. Seemed like a no brainer, and after biting the bullet, spent $600 to have a factory axle installed in Daytona Beach. This really hurt as I'm an avid do it your-selfer and haven't lifted my hood to strangers in many, many years. I was equally p1ssed when the symptoms didn't go away. I decided to just drive it home (1800km) as I couldn't bear to just throw money at it (compounded by overnight stays), and no idea of trusted shops along the way).

I was able to message the car home, playing with the throttle to keep vibrations at a minimum. The mountains in West Virginia were painful. I did get home last night without incident.

The vibrations seemed to be coming through the floor ... I had suspected driveshaft, guibo, perhaps even left front axle. I'm now thinking front bearings? Something else? The car is a northern car (although rust free and clean underneath) and has just turned over 200,000km.

I'm looking forward to more comments from others in the same boat....

Last edited by lgb240; 03-17-2014 at 07:21 PM.
lgb240 is offline   Reply With Quote