E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #81
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Doesn't matter. All these clueless idiots can sleep well at night knowing that their minimum wage crusade has destroyed over 50% of the fast food jobs in the country.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #82
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Agreed with #1 without a doubt.

#2 works in a vacuum with all other factors being held constant (ceteris paribus). It's not a 1:1 trade off unless EVERYONE is being paid the same in the sample size before and after the increase.

Agreed on #3, for the most part.

Totally agree with #4.
I have worked for minimum wage before, and #4 bothers me. If someone was hired a year ago at $7.25 and earned their way up to $10, and now the new guy gets $10, what do you do? Tell the old employee sucks for you? Do you bump his pay the same %? I don't think those crying for a higher minimum wage thought things through....(they never do.)

Also, I wonder who in this thread agrees that minimum wage is not supposed to be a LIVING wage.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #83
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Easy to say when it's not your job on the line ey troll?

It's just like watching those nasty california hippies crying about GMO food, when they have a full stomach...nevermind the fact that it feeds a billion hungry people on the planet...so long as your stomach is full, it's all good.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #84
Lair
Modded ///Member

That technology would exist with or without the minimum wage. It's driven by the profit motive, not increased minimum wage proponents.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #85
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

Also, I wonder who in this thread agrees that minimum wage is not supposed to be a LIVING wage.
I'm conflicted on this. Ideally, it should not be. I worked for minimum wage for 6 months at St. Louis Bread Company (Panera Bread) when I was 16. It fvcking sucked. So much so that it drove me to find a job at a car wash where I earned the same hourly AND received tips. Bully for me.

People should not hang their hat on minimum wage. I agree with the notion that it's a jumping off point. It is also not meant to support a family.

Where I get conflicted is this: If a person is earning minimum wage, in most states they qualify for public assistance.....aka, the tax payer ends up subsidizing the employers labor. I don't like that as it amounts to just another form of corporate welfare.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM   #86
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
That technology would exist with or without the minimum wage. It's driven by the profit motive, not increased minimum wage proponents.
True, but it's a bigger incentive to get it out there faster. Does increasing minimum wage not hurt the profit of the company?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #87
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I'm conflicted on this. Ideally, it should not be. I worked for minimum wage for 6 months at St. Louis Bread Company (Panera Bread) when I was 16. It fvcking sucked. So much so that it drove me to find a job at a car wash where I earned the same hourly AND received tips. Bully for me.

People should not hang their hat on minimum wage. I agree with the notion that it's a jumping off point. It is also not meant to support a family.

Where I get conflicted is this: If a person is earning minimum wage, in most states they qualify for public assistance.....aka, the tax payer ends up subsidizing the employers labor. I don't like that as it amounts to just another form of corporate welfare.
Fair enough, maybe the smart solution is to reform the public assistance programs? Instead of handing out cash for these people, how about you pay for their associates degrees, that way they can crawl out of the minimum wage hole? In the OPs video, one dude is complaining that he has 5 siblings to support... that's horsesh!t. I agree 100% with you that public assistance for minimum wage work has got to stop, and has got to be reformed. Im all for teaching people how to fish, not handing out fish.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #88
Lair
Modded ///Member

We're talking about profit. There is no bigger incentive. The companies that are eliminating workers in favor of electronics aren't doing it becauee someone is whining about the minimum wage. They're doing it because their only concern is profit.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #89
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

My first job was similar, I think $5.00 an hour at a miserable deli. A year or two later I got a job delivering pizza for the same $5.00 an hour plus tips and the prospect of horny housewives (which never happens, btw!).

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #90
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
We're talking about profit. There is no bigger incentive. The companies that are eliminating workers in favor of electronics aren't doing it becauee someone is whining about the minimum wage. They're doing it because their only concern is profit.
I said I agreed with this, but raising minimum wage DECREASES profit. The end result is the same, so automation will come quicker, and more people will be out of a job. Smaller businesses that normally would hire a person may consider purchasing a POS system like the ones in the video for 7K, and save on employees.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #91
Lair
Modded ///Member

If people are paid more, they will be motivated to produce more, increasing profits.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #92
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If people are paid more, they will be motivated to produce more, increasing profits.
That formula doesn't work with minimum wage. A motivated fry cook isn't going to sell more fries. The motivation comes from low prices that attract customers, which increase profits. This isn't a waiter that is motivated to sell, driving up the check and thus, getting a bigger tip.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #93
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
That formula doesn't work with minimum wage. A motivated fry cook isn't going to sell more fries. The motivation comes from low prices that attract customers, which increase profits. This isn't a waiter that is motivated to sell, driving up the check and thus, getting a bigger tip.
Of course not. Giving minimum wage workers a reason to gaf won't work on minimum wagers. Profit only motivates people who are higher up the food chain.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #94
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Of course not. Giving minimum wage workers a reason to gaf won't work on minimum wagers. Profit only motivates people who are higher up the food chain.

See, that's where your problem is. Minimum wage workers should GAF because they were hired to do a job. Don't want to do the job well (and climb up the ladder) then leave. This is very apparent when you look at workers in various precincts that don't care about their jobs (Best Buy is a great example). They should care and be thankful that someone hired them and they should work hard to keep the job and try and get promoted. I know in your world, it's the other way around...the company needs to get down on its knees and thank the employee with no real skills that they are so lucky to have them.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #95
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #96
Lair
Modded ///Member

I don't have a problem. The people who think minimum wage earners are unmotivated by profit have a problem - especially when their advice to minimum wage earners is "Work hard and you will eventually earn more!"

Make up your mind. Are they motivated by profit or not?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #97
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I don't have a problem. The people who think minimum wage earners are unmotivated by profit have a problem - especially when their advice to minimum wage earners is "Work hard and you will eventually earn more!"

Make up your mind. Are they motivated by profit or not?
I thought I made it clear that minimum wage workers are not motivated by profit?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #98
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
They should care and be thankful that someone hired them and they should work hard to keep the job and try and get promoted.
Clear as mud.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #99
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Clear as mud.
What does that statement have to do with profit? We now need "motivation" for a person to do a job? This isn't a football team. The person is being paid to perform a duty. They should perform that duty because they are being compensated for it. A person should also be motivated so that THEY CAN EARN MORE MONEY...that's their motivation, not corporate profits.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #100
Lair
Modded ///Member

So minimum wage workers CAN be motivated by profit?

Or not?

Seriously - make up your mind.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.