E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

View Poll Results: What's your opinion about Coca-Cola's ad?
Me gusta! 17 85.00%
No bueno! 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Gatriel
Nie vergessen Ost-Preußen

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Are we only accepting the wealthy and well-rested immigrants now?
We should. Independently wealthy people don't need resources of the state to get by, whereas the poors do. It isn't a humanitarian argument -- its an economic one.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #22
badfast

My Ride: A Car
I thought the commercial was good. America is not a homogeneous regardless of some people's wishes or ideas regarding its design. I just saw the commercial as IDGAF about the superbowl and didnt watch it.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #23
Gatriel
Nie vergessen Ost-Preußen

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I thought the commercial was good. America is not a homogeneous regardless of some people's wishes or ideas regarding its design. I just saw the commercial as IDGAF about the superbowl and didnt watch it.
credited +1
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
B's ZHP

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
"I thought it promoted unity, not difference."

To promote unity is to acknowledge difference case and point

"Many people took advantage of that right and proceeded to call out Coca-Cola for disrespecting the "national anthem". Their words.[/QUOTE]"

And they had every right to do so lol

Sent from my KFJWI using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by B's ZHP; 02-03-2014 at 03:30 PM.
B's ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
except america the beautiful isn't the national anthem
I swear most americans are dumb as ****.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #26
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Caught me off guard. Wasn't too crazy about hearing America the beautiful in other languages. But of course, I'm not allowed to have opinions like that anymore. Yay America.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Caught me off guard. Wasn't too crazy about hearing America the beautiful in other languages. But of course, I'm not allowed to have opinions like that anymore. Yay America.

It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I'm curious as to this mindset? Why does hearing America The Beautiful in another language irk you?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #28
Fergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I'm curious as to this mindset? Why does hearing America The Beautiful in another language irk you?
cause this is murica, in murica only english is spoken in murica

murica.

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #29
Daddye46328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
I thought the commercial was fine. It shows how diverse and tolerant the USA is. With that said, it was the national anthem. It's a source of pride and unity for Americans. I can see why people are upset about it and I wouldn't argue against them. They have a right to be upset.

When I hear the national anthem I get goose bumps, even a butchered version and with the coke ad I really felt indifferent to it. Didn't "grab me and move me" sort of speak. Maybe that's what people are reacting to.

I think a commercial with different ethnicities singing in English but with different accents would have delivered the same message without the negative blowback.

As far as the homosexuality portion is concerned, I would not have changed a thing. Does it have a place in a beverage ad? I don't know. Everyone has a different opinion and I'm sure can back it up. It was just a beverage ad after all. Just my opinion
Daddye46328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #30
peytonracer4

Quote:
Because I think English should be the national language. It really bothers me when I have to hear a Spanish prompt on the phone or have 15 pages of directions with English being put in there among them.
English should be the language. And it's not necessarily the commercial or the song being sung. It's the notion that all languages are slowly closing in created a multilingual country. And I'm just not ok with that.
As redneck as it sounds, this is America so speak English.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #31
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddye46328i View Post
I thought the commercial was fine. It shows how diverse and tolerant the USA is. With that said, it was the national anthem. It's a source of pride and unity for Americans. I can see why people are upset about it and I wouldn't argue against them. They have a right to be upset.

When I hear the national anthem I get goose bumps, even a butchered version and with the coke ad I really felt indifferent to it. Didn't "grab me and move me" sort of speak. Maybe that's what people are reacting to.

I think a commercial with different ethnicities singing in English but with different accents would have delivered the same message without the negative blowback.

As far as the homosexuality portion is concerned, I would not have changed a thing. Does it have a place in a beverage ad? I don't know. Everyone has a different opinion and I'm sure can back it up. It was just a beverage ad after all. Just my opinion
America the Beautiful is not the national anthem. It's a patriotic hymn, but not the anthem.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #32
evolved

Quote:

America The Beautiful is not our national anthem.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #33
Fergo

Quote:

oh my ****ing christ are you ****ing serious.

america the beautiful is NOT THE ****ING NATIONAL ANTHEM

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #34
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Because I think English should be the national language. It really bothers me when I have to hear a Spanish prompt on the phone or have 15 pages of directions with English being put in there among them.
English should be the language. And it's not necessarily the commercial or the song being sung. It's the notion that all languages are slowly closing in created a multilingual country. And I'm just not ok with that.

America has always had large groups of people speaking languages other than English.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #35
peytonracer4

Quote:

Is this a joke? Seriously?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #36
evolved

Quote:

So, does that mean it's not right to speak a foreign language in America? Countries that have national languages typically don't prohibit anyone from speaking a different language.

I guess I just don't understand getting bothered by it

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #37
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
America has always had large groups of people speaking languages other than English.

And it's that way in a lot of countries. But all countries have a national language. An official language. And America is moving away from it being English. And that bothers me.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #38
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
And it's that way in a lot of countries. But all countries have a national language. An official language. And America is moving away from it being English. And that bothers me.

Not all countries have an official language. Some have one, some have multiple national languages.

America has never had one.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #39
NOVAbimmer

Why does it bother you? Because it's slightly inconvenient for you? Businesses will always speak all the major languages in a locality.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #40
peytonracer4

Quote:
So, does that mean it's not right to speak a foreign language in America? Countries that have national languages typically don't prohibit anyone from speaking a different language.

I guess I just don't understand getting bothered by it
No I think it's fine to speak the language. Speak whatever language you want. I don't care. I'm actually trying to learn Spanish now. But I don't want American billboards to be in another language in 20 years. I don't want highway signs to have 3 different languages to them. I don't want them to count down the ball in NYC as uno doce tres.