E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

View Poll Results: What's your opinion about Coca-Cola's ad?
Me gusta! 17 85.00%
No bueno! 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #41
Brevik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 794
My Ride: Tiag M3
I didn't watch the super bowl but watched the video in the op to see what the fuss was about. To be honest I really didn't move me either way- I give it a solid meh. Bob Dylan selling Chryslers, now that is offensive

Where is the idgaf option in the poll?
__________________
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #42
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
No I think it's fine to speak the language. Speak whatever language you want. I don't care. I'm actually trying to learn Spanish now. But I don't want American billboards to be in another language in 20 years. I don't want highway signs to have 3 different languages to them. I don't want them to count down the ball in NYC as uno doce tres.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I guess I see it like this:

If the private company that pays for space on a billboard wants to put their advertisement in Spanish, who is anyone else to dictate otherwise?

As to the "uno, doce, tres" for NYE, I doubt that will happen unless you're tuned into the Spanish network, lol.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #43
Daddye46328i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: California
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2000 328i
I stand corrected, my mistake. I got caught up with the national anthem posts. Even as a patriotic hymn, it makes sense that people would be upset about it
Daddye46328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #44
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddye46328i View Post
I stand corrected, my mistake. I got caught up with the national anthem posts. Even as a patriotic hymn, it makes sense that people would be upset about it


Why?
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #45
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Still MAF that it was only sung in languages by people who are broke as hell. Where was the Japanese, Korean, German, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, or Norwegian?

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #46
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,380
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Still MAF that it was only sung in languages by people who are broke as hell. Where was the Japanese, Korean, German, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, or Norwegian?
Why are you mad about that?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #47
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Why are you mad about that?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Because, if the specific languages were chosen to illustrate the diversity of the American population, then at least ONE wealthy language would have been included. German, spoken natively by over 100 million people was not included, however some BFE African language was!?

It makes me scratch my head and wonder, who chose the language and what was their motivation for choosing said languages. It makes me feel as if there is a subtle push for us to recognise all the poors of the world having a legitimate stake in the United States (as thus its social programs), as opposed to the groups of people who colonised the United States and/or who have influenced the culture dramatically.

I would have easily seen Spanish, English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese and Portuguese. Anything apart from that and there is more to the language selection than "oh we just picked a few languages."

*Even Manx, Gaelic and Irish (for the most part extinct languages) had more of an impact on the US than a few of the languages chosen.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-03-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #48
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
I had no problem with it but some elements in the Twitterverse had a baby over it.
Let me guess: White conservatives?
__________________

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #49
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 525
My Ride: still a gay 135i
ITT mouth breathers being mouth breathers
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #50
'busa
Registered User
 
'busa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,465
My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
So, there's several people in this thread who admit to being offended, but they won't vote in the poll above? Or is it the language barrier that's preventing you from picking the proper option?
__________________
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #51
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
ITT mouth breathers being mouth breathers
You must live on the South Side of Atlanta.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #52
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,380
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Because, if the specific languages were chosen to illustrate the diversity of the American population, then at least ONE wealthy language would have been included. German, spoken natively by over 100 million people was not included, however some BFE African language was!?

It makes me scratch my head and wonder, who chose the language and what was their motivation for choosing said languages. It makes me feel as if there is a subtle push for us to recognise all the poors of the world having a legitimate stake in the United States (as thus its social programs), as opposed to the groups of people who colonised the United States and/or who have influenced the culture dramatically.

I would have easily seen Spanish, English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese and Portuguese. Anything apart from that and there is more to the language selection than "oh we just picked a few languages."

*Even Manx, Gaelic and Irish (for the most part extinct languages) had more of an impact on the US than a few of the languages chosen.
English is a pretty wealthy language...

So you're just mad they chose "poor people languages"? Why?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #53
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
English is a pretty wealthy language...

So you're just mad they chose "poor people languages"? Why?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Why was it necessary? What not chose a broad spectrum of languages constituting the most material block of the American population?

Seems odd they focused only on languages that are spoken by the poors. I mean, what are the odds a group of Coke Ad executives pulled names out of a hat, and other than English, all the countries and the peoples that speak said languages are broke as ****?
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #54
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,380
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Why was it necessary? What not chose a broad spectrum of languages constituting the most material block of the American population?

Seems odd they focused only on languages that are spoken by the poors. I mean, what are the odds a group of Coke Ad executives pulled names out of a hat, and other than English, all the countries and the peoples that speak said languages are broke as ****?
So you're mad that they chose "poor people languages" because you think it's not necessary?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #55
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
So you're mad that they chose "poor people languages" because you think it's not necessary?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I am mad at the choice and the reasoning for the choice of the languages.

Ask yourself, why would they chose "poor languages" exclusively? What motive would they have to do so, and what would their goals and objectives be for doing that?
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #56
Fergo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 525
My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
You must live on the South Side of Atlanta.
Ea$t cobb
__________________

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #57
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,380
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
I am mad at the choice and the reasoning for the choice of the languages.

Ask yourself, why would they chose "poor languages" exclusively? What motive would they have to do so, and what would their goals and objectives be for doing that?
What do you think the reasoning behind their choice of languages was?

As for goals and objectives, I'd venture the guess of "sell Coke"

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 02-03-2014 at 04:12 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #58
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Ea$t cobb
And yet you're a blue voter.

Signs and wonders.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #59
Gatriel
Gr Di'
 
Gatriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frankfurt am Main
Posts: 437
My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
What do you think the reasoning behind their choice of languages was?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I think the primary purpose behind the selection coupled with a patriotic tune is to encourage people who think like myself to reconsider their prejudices against the 2nd and 3rd world.

Christ in a Cartoon, they had Vietnamese yet no Japanese!? Vietnam, poor as **** and 1/3rd the population of Japan.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-03-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #60
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,380
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
I think the primary purpose behind the selection coupled with a patriotic tune is to encourage people who think like myself to reconsider their prejudices against the 2nd and 3rd world.
So is reconsidering prejudices a bad thing?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use