E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #21
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/world/...hi-stray-dogs/

Quote:
Sochi, Russia (CNN) -- The Olympic city has a dog problem. Thousands of stray canines wander the streets and suburbs of Sochi.
They can be seen loping through the recently completed parks and housing developments that have sprung up around what was once a sleepy Black Sea resort.
In the countdown to the Winter Games, Russian animal rights activists have accused city authorities of ramping up a campaign to exterminate street dogs through the use of poison.
Yulia Krasova says she witnessed the long, agonizing death of a street dog when she walked out of a movie theater in Sochi two weeks ago.
Beslan, ten years after Russian leader in Sochi Rep. Rogers: Russia cooperation not 100%
"At first I thought someone beat the dog," she recalled. "The dog jumped up and started running around in circles. Then she fell down and started spitting up ... I called the veterinarian. He said there is a 100% guarantee the dog was poisoned."
Krasova filmed the dying dog with her cell phone. So did Irina Gutnik, another Sochi resident.
Gutnik said she encountered a dog convulsing and barking in fear and pain in Sochi's Bitka neighborhood in December.
"They always poison the street dogs here," Krasova said. "But in December it got terrible ... they began poisoning the animals terribly before the Olympics."
Reports of the widespread culling of animals have put city and Olympic officials on the defensive.
"All stray dogs that are found on the Olympic Park are collected by a professional veterinary contractor for the well-being of the people on the Park and the animals themselves," the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee said in a statement this week.
"All healthy animals are released following their health check."
Vladimir Makarenko, the head of the administration for Sochi's Hostinski district, said volunteers were welcome to take stray dogs to a brand new shelter recently opened on the outskirts of the city.
But the announcement of new government-backed shelter was met with deep distrust by members of the grassroots network of animal rights activists in Sochi.
"Over the last couple of days, when this uproar began, they built this new shelter just for the media," said Vlada Provotorova, a dentist who built her own make-shift shelter to protect dogs from extermination.
Animal rights activists in Sochi sent CNN photos of three recent contracts signed between the Sochi city government and Basia Services, a company headquartered in Rostov-on-Don.
In one of the documents, dated May 24, 2013, the city government agreed to pay the company 99,450 rubles [roughly $2,800] for the "trapping and gathering of neglected animals."
CNN made several attempts to speak by phone with executives at Basia Services.
Company representatives declined to respond to allegations their employees poisoned street animals.
As alarm grows among Russian dog lovers, some animal rights activists have taken matters into their own hands.
Last month, one Muscovite drove all the way to Sochi to pick up a van-load of street dogs that he then "evacuated" to the Russian capital. Video of the journey trip was posted on a Facebook page titled "Death in Sochi."
Meanwhile, Provotorova and several friends continue to donate time and money to feed, house and sterilize the dozen street dogs they placed in a small kennel they built on the outskirts of Sochi.
This week, the dogs barked and wagged their tails madly when Provotorova and several other volunteers arrived with fresh supplies of dog food.
"We are protecting them from Basia," said Provotorova said.
"I don't blame the Olympics," said Dina Filippova, as she scrubbed out the kennels with a mop. "We don't have a sterilization program, so there is a huge amount of stray dogs here and authorities try to control them. They can't."
Filippova, a lawyer living in Sochi, argued Russia needs new legislation for the protection and management of animals.
"In Russia, you can abuse animals and it's not a crime. You can buy and adopt an animal and release it on the street, it's not a crime," she said. "You have no legal obligation to sterilize your dog or cat."
Filippova and Provotorova both conceded that their families often accused them of being "crazy" about animals.
But one of their fellow volunteers had another explanation for why she devoted so much time to caring and feeding for homeless animals.
"At my age I prefer taking care of animals," said Valentina Slivat, who described herself as a "simple Soviet nurse" who worked at a hospital in Sochi.
A fluffy street dog named "Pushistik" followed Slivat constantly around the kennel, and periodically leaped into her arms.
"People have hands, legs, brains. But animals have been abandoned. We need to save them," the nurse said.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #22
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
You may be looking too hard. Consider this, in terms of "corruption related to construction": the Sochi games will cost more than ALL the other Winter Games COMBINED. Over $50B. That's what I'd call "unprecedented."
Agreed but still, all the negative hype about the Sochi games in the U.S. seems a little fishy to me. When every major "news" agency is reporting on the very same angle with near talking points, it strikes me as odd. Again Im not defending Russia, but it just seems like an organized smear campaign to me.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #23
KwhyLE

My Ride: 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77 View Post
I have to think a lot of this negative press about Sochi (certainly not all) is an attempt to slander the Russian Olympics in retaliation for Snowden.

I'm no defender of Russia, but are you telling me that Beijing, Greece, SA (for the world cup) had less corruption related to construction around the games? News is all about angels, and this whole anti-Russo tone smells fishy to me. Including the hyped up threats of "terrorism"...
$50B+ Cost for these games in a coastal city with botched infrastructure and a real terrorist attacks like the one at the train station. Then there are conflicts with Georgia over who owns Abkhazia are minutes away from Olympic Village.

oooookay.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #24
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Agreed but still, all the negative hype about the Sochi games in the U.S. seems a little fishy to me. When every major "news" agency is reporting on the very same angle with near talking points, it strikes me as odd. Again Im not defending Russia, but it just seems like an organized smear campaign to me.
Take a look at this thread. You think that's an "organized smear campaign"? Occam's razor, my friend. Seems apparent that Sochi simply wasn't prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #25
oie77

My Ride: wamta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Take a look at this thread. You think that's an "organized smear campaign"? Occam's razor, my friend. Seems apparent that Sochi simply wasn't prepared.
Yes I do.

I agree that that the whole thing is flawed and that the IOC (the bastion of transparent and ethical practices) fked up big time.

All that being said, I believe (just a hunch really) that there is more to the reporting on Sochi than meets the eye...
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #26
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
^ who cares?
Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #27
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
#fwp
Old 02-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
"The Olympic Village Has An 'Extreme Shortage' Of Pillows"

Quote:
"ATTENTION, DEAR COLLEAGUES!
Due to an extreme shortage of pillows for athletes who unexpectedly arrived to Olympic Village in the mountains, there will be a transfer of pillows from all apartments to the storehouse on 2 February 2014. Please be understanding. We have to help the athletes out of this bind."
http://instagram.com/p/j43piEH0vO

Some other pics being posted:

Quote:
good news , I have Internet , bad news, it's dangling from the ceiling in my room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.

Last edited by ghorn; 02-05-2014 at 03:48 PM.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Not sure if any of you have been following the snowboarding/ free skiing slope style, let's just say "in Soviet Russia, jump hits you"

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-02-0...oarders-scared
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/05...opestyle-event

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook

Last edited by YYCZHP; 02-05-2014 at 03:51 PM.
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
Boosted_TiAg

My Ride: 09' 535xi M Sport
lol Russia, you guys have no idea how much it sucks.
Boosted_TiAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #31
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
51 billion well spent. Somewhere in Russia.. Maybe not Sochi though
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #32
Kwando

My Ride: rolls Volks TE-37SL
Worst Olympics ever.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #33
WerksM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
51 billion well spent. Somewhere in Russia.. Maybe not Sochi though
51 billion Rubles is only like $1500.00
Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #34
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Lol @ Russia. If this is how bad it is when they're trying to impress the rest of the world, how bad is it really?

Old 02-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #35
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
NO, it just reflects on the lack of professionalism among American Journalism.

When one network jumps on a story, they all tell the same story.

And when a journalist is offended or insulted they use the position of their job as a pulpit to insult and shame the offenders.

Sochi is not prepared and they screwed up. But other than Shaun White and his wrist injury , I have not seen one story on the athletes or what events they expect us to do well in or any other personal interest stories.

But, when they lead the national news with Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and the Chili Peppers lip syncing, what do you expect ?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #36
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Looks like their Putin on the Ritz.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #37
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
NO, it just reflects on the lack of professionalism among American Journalism.

When one network jumps on a story, they all tell the same story.

And when a journalist is offended or insulted they use the position of their job as a pulpit to insult and shame the offenders.

Sochi is not prepared and they screwed up. But other than Shaun White and his wrist injury , I have not seen one story on the athletes or what events they expect us to do well in or any other personal interest stories.

But, when they lead the national news with Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and the Chili Peppers lip syncing, what do you expect ?
Sorry for my biased opinion here in regards to snowboarding but Shaun White, Torstein Horgmo, Mark Mcmorris, and Marika Enne have all had coverage about them. Now granted I don't have a lot of time or patience for journalists because they jump to conclusions and don't exactly capture the entire story, but in terms of coverage they are doing a fair job for all things considered.

5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #38
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Worst Olympics ever.
it will only be the worst olympics ever if we don't win a lot of medals.

if the U.S. wins a lot of medals then the hotel situation and the lack of preparedness will be forgotten. and it will be the best ever.......lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Lol @ Russia. If this is how bad it is when they're trying to impress the rest of the world, how bad is it really?

Pics from the mother land............

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4724608.html

http://englishrussia.com/2006/08/20/...tion/#more-203

http://englishrussia.com/2013/09/02/...y/#more-129168

Last edited by Raymond42262; 02-05-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #39
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
All I could think of

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #40
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post

Not quite. If they really wanted to impress the world, they could have, but they rather get rich instead and steal the money.