E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #101
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
^^^that's the early 60's mid-engine Mustang concept, right?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 02-06-2014 at 02:10 PM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #102
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
This.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Wait a minute is this the gm ev car? The one that had the huge scandal that no one paid attention to.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #103
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I stand corrected, comment still stands because of the car's structure though.
The Huayra borrowed the concept of a composite chassis from the Zonda R, which was in turn taken (in idea) from the Ferrari FXX.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #104
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Many of the things we consider cool today were built by Packard back in the 20's. For instance the 20's era Packard that had headlights that turned with the steering wheel.

Then there is my baby. The 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi. Actually started in 1983 but the widebody version did not start until 86. Began the turbo tuner japanese car scene. Made by Mitsubishi, this was the flagship car to introduce them to the US, it blew the current Nissan and Toyota out of the water when it arrived. Oh and it has auto climate control, speed sensing wipers, etc. Had to buy an E46 before I got those features in a newer car.

Last edited by aarondb4; 02-06-2014 at 02:39 PM.
aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #105
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
i had one that looked exactly the same, one of my favorite designs of all time. Is this yours now? If so, more pics please!

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #106
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
i had one that looked exactly the same, one of my favorite designs of all time. Is this yours now? If so, more pics please!
Yep that one is mine. Bought it in 2002 at age 16, I got really lucky with it. Had no idea what it was until I saw a gold 88 on the side of the road, was broken down, it had been beat to death by it's owner and was on it's last legs but I couldn't get over the look of it. Searched for 2 years to find this one, checking ebay every day.

This one popped up on ebay one day, 1 owner car, with 28k original miles on it, in near perfect condition and it was 15 miles from my house! I emailed them right away, went over that night and left with the car. A 70 year old woman bought it brand new and used it to get grocery's and go to church from 87 to 2002. I got it for $5k. It has 55k miles on it now, still all original.

I have considered selling it every now and then but I know I will never get another like it. Now that I am married my wife likes the car just as much as I do and refuses to even consider selling it, she knows we will both regret it. It gets less than 500 miles a year now, but it is always fun to take out.

Here are the few pics I have on this comp.

Front air dam is in one piece now.

Last edited by aarondb4; 02-06-2014 at 02:51 PM.
aarondb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #107
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
if you ever consider selling, PM me!

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #108
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
The Huayra borrowed the concept of a composite chassis from the Zonda R, which was in turn taken (in idea) from the Ferrari FXX.
Ferrari FXX and Zonda R were not production cars, they were race cars.

Also, Ferrari FXX did not have a metal, carbon, polymer composite structure, it was carbon composite only. Adding titanium to the carbon composite was a Pagani thing.

If we are adding race cars to the mix then I'll also throw nearly every Formula 1 race car and LeMans LMP1 class cars into this thread.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 02-06-2014 at 02:57 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #109
autoAER

My Ride: 03 325xi,08 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
I'm very happy for you that this was your favorite car since you were 6, however how was it ahead of its time? This is a race car made for the road in order to be in compliance with FIA GT requirements... sooooo ?
It was ahead in pricing
Old 02-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #110
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
I think the 2002 BMW M3 with SMG was waayyyy ahead of its time.

I had one that I literally drove the sh!t out of and as long as I maintained it properly it NEVER broke down once in 70k miles! Not to mention the transmission was absolutely raw and AWESOME and still better than even some of these crappy dual clutch transmissions we see today.

Between the SMGII that outshifted the Ferrari 360 at the time, and the S54 motor which had the most HP per liter, it's easy to say the E46 M3 was way ahead in 2001, let alone 2002 when SMGII was introduced!
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #111
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK101 View Post
the S54 motor which had the most HP per liter
It never held this title.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #112
RidinBimmerz

My Ride: Porsche 997 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
The E46 M3, not necessarily the E46 generation.

I say this, and it's opinion, but safety features, DSC, the M differential, SMGII (it's a dinosaur now), the S54s power per liter, and the of course the styling. Looking back at 2001 and other sports cars/sports coupes of that year, the M3 was practically in its own class. It was as other folks described it, the new benchmark for other sporty cars to measure against.
edit- just saw you posted this. I agree with everything here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
It never held this title.
title or no title it was still and still is an absolute awesome motor

Last edited by RidinBimmerz; 02-06-2014 at 07:01 PM.
RidinBimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #113
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
...Then there is my baby. The 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi. Actually started in 1983 but the widebody version did not start until 86. Began the turbo tuner japanese car scene. Made by Mitsubishi, this was the flagship car to introduce them to the US, it blew the current Nissan and Toyota out of the water when it arrived. Oh and it has auto climate control, speed sensing wipers, etc....
I guess a car didn't have to be good in any way to be ahead of it's time?
I don't think this paved the way for the Pacer, did it?

Murf
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #114
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
Not even close! Not even for Lamborghini. Check out the Miura:

Murf
Crazy thing about the Miura, it was basically designed and engineered by a bunch of twenty-somethings as a sort of side project! Top Gear's Richard Hammond said it well, "When I was drawing cars at 20 years old, they still had machine guns coming out of them."

The Miura really did start the modern super car era -- low, ultrasleek styling, mid-engine V12 -- though the Countach was a very apt successor and laid down the final final overall plan for all subsequent top tier Lambos: backward longitudinal V12 with the gearbox in front, scissors doors, wedge styling.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote