E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #21
GuiltySpark

My Ride: 02 325xi
Dying is a pretty relaxing experience, provided it's not a painful death. You get really tired and just want to go to sleep, at first you kinda panic but soon thereafter you just start to fade and I can't really describe it but I wasn't scary or painful. It was almost cathartic.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #22
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltyspark View Post
dying is a pretty relaxing experience, provided it's not a painful death. You get really tired and just want to go to sleep, at first you kinda panic but soon thereafter you just start to fade and i can't really describe it but i wasn't scary or painful. It was almost cathartic.

Sent from bimmerapp mobile app
RIP

Last edited by CollinsE90; 02-05-2014 at 11:55 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #23
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Scares me pretty badly. I often have panic attacks when thinking about death or when the topic is brought up. I'm not coming back to this thread for that very reason. Call me a pansy, whatever. But I can't help it. Thinking about death forces me to lose my grasp on the concept of time. This puts me into panic mode and is very very bad.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #24
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #25
Solo118

My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
I know I say now I am not scared to die, but I will probably be shitting bricks when the time comes!!!

Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #26
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #27
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
Dying is a pretty relaxing experience, provided it's not a painful death. You get really tired and just want to go to sleep, at first you kinda panic but soon thereafter you just start to fade and I can't really describe it but I wasn't scary or painful. It was almost cathartic.

You died before?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:09 AM   #28
Cowspoo

My Ride: 328Ci
Big deal.

Life is not reliable nor promised. Live to create memories. Don't ignore opportunities to experiences.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #29
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Anyone else ever curious about what happens after death and why we must expire? It's an inevitable fate we will all succumb to at one point or another. The clock starts ticking the moment we are conceived. I'm not afraid to die, but in some ways I'm frustrated because it seems we don't have a clear understanding of what happens after death. And sometimes I struggle with why we aim to accomplish so much in our short lifetimes, only to leave it all behind...like wasted efforts. What exactly are humans striving for? What are the end goals? In the grand scheme of things, what is the point of our existence?

Often times folks turn to religion to cope with their fears of death for a more sound and pleasant afterlife. However what if we are the creation and experiment of another life form in a distant galaxy? I also struggle with the thought of not knowing if life exists in other galaxies. It seems like the Milky Way cannot be the only galaxy in the universe with forms of life.

Life exists beyond this one. Some say that this is the dream state and that the 'real life' exists in the afterlife.........

Message From The Other Side: "Your' Going To Like it"

We received our first message from the spirit of my deceased wife, Doris this week. She said she was in a beautiful place and she assured me that I was really going to like it when it is my turn to join her. She also said I should not fear death.

What I found surprising was that Doris, who was known for her abilities in the kitchen and was fussy about eating anything she did not prepare herself, made a point of saying that the food there is wonderful. This is the first time I have ever heard mention that people actually eat after their spirits leave the body. I have always assumed that the spirit world was a place of silence where we all could fly around like ghosts but the physical pleasures like eating, creative expression and sex were designated for only the physical bodies such as ours on this plain.

Doris, who could speak to the dead during her years on Earth, sometimes made contact with her brother, Wayne, and other relatives who passed on before her. Wayne, who was revived after drowning as a young man, always talked of hearing beautiful music while he was out of his body. He said it was such a lovely place, where deceased relatives were waiting, that he lived the rest of his life without fear of death.

Dennis Hale, the sole survivor of the Great Lakes shipwreck Daniel Morrell, also told of going through a near death experience while on an open raft on Lake Huron. He described a place where he joined all of his buddies on the Morrell. He said he was so happy to be with them and was sad when they told him he had to return to the raft. It was not yet his time. Hale woke up just as a Coast Guard helicopter was hovering overhead and rescue was only minutes away.

I was learning how to leave my body at about the time my mother died and I had the privilege of meeting her in the astral on two occasions. What I remember about the meetings was that there was no sound and we could not touch. Doris could communicate with my mother, however, so messages were passed back and forth. She also spoke of the beauty of the place she was in, made it clear that she was able to travel to Earth and observe our activities, and was sure that my father, a science fiction buff, was going to enjoy being where she was because he would be able to visit the stars whenever he wished. Best of all, she expressed the joy of existing without having to endure pain.

Last year the Mail On-Line published a story about Dr. Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon at Harvard University Hospital, who fell into a comatose state for seven days In 2008 after being hit with bacterial meningitis.

Alexander said he was convinced there is life after death because he experienced being in a beautiful place filled with butterflies, music and a sense of well-being even though hospital equipment recorded no brain activity.

He said in an interview that "there is no scientific explanation for the fact that while my body lay in coma, my mind - my conscious, inner self- was alive and well. While the neurons of my cortex were stunned to complete inactivity by the bacteria that had attacked them, my brain-free consciousness journeyed to another, larger dimension of the universe: a dimension I'd never dreamed existed and which the old, pre-coma me would have been more than happy to explain was a simple impossibility."

Alexander said he entered a "place of clouds - big, puffy and pink-white,' filled with butterflies and angel-like creatures that were "different from anything I have known on this planet. They were more advanced. Higher forms."

And while he was caught in this heavenly realm, Alexander said he could hear "a sound, huge and booming like a glorious chant" that filled him with a sense of joy and awe.

How glad I am to think that my beloved wife is there even at this moment as she waits for me to join her.

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/galleryb/id56.html

http://www.amazon.com/Proof-Heaven-N...eben+alexander

http://www.amazon.com/My-Journey-Hea...ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Nine-Days-In-H...ref=pd_sim_b_5

Last edited by Raymond42262; 02-06-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 AM   #30
2000beamer

My Ride: 2000 323i
I'm faithful that there is a heaven and hell after life and how we live our lives determines our fate.

Subscribed.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #31
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
I admit I do subscribe to the religious beliefs but I also at times have curiosity about it all.

I also wonder if we've all been sheep in this life. Working for the man to bring home a paycheck only to blow the paycheck on a house that we are not home to enjoy because we are busy working for it and blow that paycheck on a fancy car so we can look good driving to and from our meaningless job.

I live here in the Lancaster PA area, and as a younger man I use to think the Amish lifestyle was ludicrous. But as a middle aged man, I see some valid points to their life. They don't chase the Jones, they don't crave the latest cars, tech, style, or bling. They live a simple life with no real bills, they give to their community, they help their brothers in need, and they seem to accumulate quite a bit of wealth by following such a simple lifestyle.

We all shackle ourselves to debt and the man and never really get to live a fulfilling life. But hey...I'm right here with ya, car payment, mortgage and all.

Last edited by Mark M; 02-06-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Mark M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #32
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowspoo View Post
Big deal.

Life is not reliable nor promised. Live to create memories. Don't ignore opportunities to experiences.
You must not like to solve problems much. I've always believed everything has an answer and can be explained.

I agree with the second part. It distracts us from the inevitable.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
GuiltySpark

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin123 View Post
You died before?

Was dying, didn't code or anything. Back when I was in primary school due to severe dehydration, don't ask me how, had to be hospitalized picked up by rescue.

GuiltySpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #34
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I've read that when we die, we don't see a white light, but our brain has never experienced what it is experiencing when dying and it's just blank. Almost like an old movie scroll running out of film.
There's also the belief that the light/tunnel/sense of love is due to your brain pumping out endogenous dimethyltryptamine. Most of the general population has never experienced that before and their only answer is a religious experience. There's a researcher who has created what he calls the God Helmet that uses transcranial magnetic stimulation (directed magnetic fields) to induce a current in specific parts of the brain that gives people near-death experiences on command. I subscribe to the idea that the brain is doing what it does best, attempting to make us as comfortable as possible at a time when it thinks it's game over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Scares me pretty badly. I often have panic attacks when thinking about death or when the topic is brought up. I'm not coming back to this thread for that very reason. Call me a pansy, whatever. But I can't help it. Thinking about death forces me to lose my grasp on the concept of time. This puts me into panic mode and is very very bad.

I'm the complete opposite; I'm insanely curious as to what it will be like. It's the single experience that I can't have during my lifetime and tell others about. If I had the opportunity to be put down and brought back in a medical environment I would absolutely do it.

There are so many documented cases of people "existing" outside of their own body during surgery, traumatic experiences, etc. that I'm open to the idea that consciousness can exist outside of the brain. We have no clue where consciousness comes from or exactly where it exists. We're pretty sure it has something to do with the types of cells found in the brain. Your stomach houses a very large number of them, which is why when you're sad/nervous/excited you get a distinct feeling in your gut. But whether it comes naturally from complex systems or if it's something that only comes with higher intelligence is still a complete mystery. We know that dolphins, whales, chimps, and elephants are conscious/self-aware but all that says is that it's linked with intelligence.

Given the fact that we've redefined death from the heart not beating to brain-dead, it can be argued that death is "you" not existing within your body. Whether "you" can exist elsewhere has yet to be determined; there plenty of people working on that right now, aiming toward uploading the entire contents of a person's brain to a machine, but until we know for sure what consciousness is I think it's safe to say that we don't know what death is, when it occurs, and if our definition of death is even close to correct.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-06-2014 at 09:10 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #35
IFX

My Ride: AW //M
why is it that anything you post, i feel like i HAVE to believe you?^ lol
Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #36
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Ghost in the machine
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #37
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Interesting thread
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #38
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
There's also the belief that the light/tunnel/sense of love is due to your brain pumping out endogenous dimethyltryptamine. Most of the general population has never experienced that before and their only answer is a religious experience. There's a researcher who has created what he calls the God Helmet that uses transcranial magnetic stimulation (directed magnetic fields) to induce a current in specific parts of the brain that gives people near-death experiences on command. I subscribe to the idea that the brain is doing what it does best, attempting to make us as comfortable as possible at a time when it thinks it's game over.

I'm the complete opposite; I'm insanely curious as to what it will be like. It's the single experience that I can't have during my lifetime and tell others about. If I had the opportunity to be put down and brought back in a medical environment I would absolutely do it.

There are so many documented cases of people "existing" outside of their own body during surgery, traumatic experiences, etc. that I'm open to the idea that consciousness can exist outside of the brain. We have no clue where consciousness comes from or exactly where it exists. We're pretty sure it has something to do with the types of cells found in the brain. Your stomach houses a very large number of them, which is why when you're sad/nervous/excited you get a distinct feeling in your gut. But whether it comes naturally from complex systems or if it's something that only comes with higher intelligence is still a complete mystery. We know that dolphins, whales, chimps, and elephants are conscious/self-aware but all that says is that it's linked with intelligence.

Given the fact that we've redefined death from the heart not beating to brain-dead, it can be argued that death is "you" not existing within your body. Whether "you" can exist elsewhere has yet to be determined; there plenty of people working on that right now, aiming toward uploading the entire contents of a person's brain to a machine, but until we know for sure what consciousness is I think it's safe to say that we don't know what death is, when it occurs, and if our definition of death is even close to correct.
Check out the link I posted in the OP: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...y-of-the-soul/
Old 02-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
My brother was dead for 4 minutes (He drowned) but was revived in an ambulance. I have heard him describe it differently throughout our lives now, and I guess I can't really offer a lot of insight, except the effect on him is that it has made him less afraid of dying. He has experienced the panic and futile struggle to survive, and he says when he did succumb it was very gentle and even welcoming. I can't really relate I suppose. As far as after-life, I've heard him say different things about his experience, so I'm not real keen on his opinion about it. He obviously never went brain-dead, which seems like a pertinent point to me in death , so I don't know if he really "died" died.
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #40
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Unfortunately there's a lot of conflicting theories out there. I'm patiently waiting on science to figure out and explain death. The downside is that I may die before ever knowing.
At which point you'll find out for yourself. So you've got that going for you.

Extra Sensory Perception, Life After Death, telepathy
Can the soul live on and travel through space and time?

You know I feel so elated, 'cause I'm about to find it out
And when I know all the answers maybe then I'll come back
..........to fill you in

You don't be alarmed now, if I try to contact you
If things go missing or get moved around
...it's me

And don't disbelieve it no matter what your friends might say
We'll meet up again some place some way
..........one day

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote