E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
bigsteve330

My Ride: E46 330ci vert
Question hood catches when opening

Hi,

i just got my first BMW, it's a E46 330ci convertible, it's a tidy motor and needs afew bits doing.

When i put the roof down it catches (only slightly on passenger side) on a black strut at the back where the roof folds into the boot. It causes the roof to stop, i have to get out the car, push the strut back slightly (which solves it), get back into the car then it works. This happens every time i try to put the roof down and i would be grateful for some advise.

Thanks
bigsteve330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Congrats on your new car and welcome.

Do you have photos of the strut, or the area you're talking about? Is it the hydraulic cylinder that moves the top's frame? I ask because I've never heard of this before.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
bigsteve330

Thanks,

it's a black pole like strut on the bit that flips up to allow the roof to enter boot,

i will sort out pic's,

Thanks Steve
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #4
bigsteve330

Here's some pic's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	545680   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070002.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	545681   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070003.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	545682   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2070004.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	545683  

Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Keaton1

My Ride: 2001 330 CIC
Hi Steve,

I'm just guessing, but I think your boot compartment lid cover is not folding back as far as it should. You say you push the "strut part" back slightly and that solves it. So what you're really doing is pushing the whole boot compartment lid back slightly as the "strut part" is a fixed piece, attached to the lid.

I would try checking your hydraulic fluid reservoir to make sure its full, as that could affect the total pressure the hydraulic system is putting out. If the pressure is slightly low, then the boot compartment cylinders may not be extending fully.

Also, there is evidently a small adjustment that can be made to where the hydraulic cylinders fit on the compartment lid, as it is mentioned in some BMW documents I found on the web for replacing the right and left hand side boot compartment cylinders. Both say: Adjusting:
- Check basic setting of convertible to compartment lid.
- Slide holder as far forward as possible.
- Convertible top compartment lid must not rise.
- Check convertible top compartment lid transitions.

I will try attaching both instructions here, as I think its allowed to post them. Good luck
Keaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
You might find some help in this thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=roof+cover

Edit: useful when searching is knowing the difference in terms:
What you (UK) call the Hood is called the Top (or Roof) in the US.
What is called the Hood in the US is called the Bonnet in the UK

Last edited by dknightd; 02-08-2014 at 07:34 AM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
Bigsteve, if you scroll down to the bottom of the thread linked above you will see a post I wrote regarding this subject. I had the same problem and went to fair bit of effort to work out exactly how the system worked and what needed to be done to fix it. Unfortunately the pictures have been removed (I made copies of an official BMW document and did some photoshop work to show where fluid flowed etc. They may have been removed due to copyright problems). I'll post some pictures of the mod I made to fix the problem when I get the chance.

Don't do the movement of the bracket mod that is promoted above. I did this to mine and it made no difference. I then got into the system and studied the BMW documents, which explained clearly why this won't work.

Put simply, the hydraulic cylinder that is opening the cover is always porting fluid to keep it open, even when the roof top is moving. The hydraulic cylinder is not at its full displacement when the cover is fully open. The cover stops where it does because there is a rubber stop that limits its movement (it strikes the arm that connects the cover to the pivot point). If the rubber stop was removed, the cover would open much further. This is why moving the bracket makes no difference. Look at the second picture (of the four) that are posted above. The rubber stop is where the 7 is in the date on the photo.

The key is to have the rubber stop not be so restrictive. The rubber stop is not a hard one, but it allows a good amount of compression. You just need to remove a small portion of it so it can compress more. I removed the small wedge part in the middle of it, which allowed the cover to open more each time.

Why does this problem happen? In my opinion it because the pump is producing a little less pressure after years of use. As I said before, when the roof top is moving (and a large amount of hyd pressure is being used) the same pressure is being used to hold up the cover so it doesn't get hit. With slightly lower operating pressure, the cover isn't being pushed as hard against the rubber stop and hence it doesn't open as far. Another option is to rebuild the pump, but the 10 minute mod that costs nothing was a better option to me.

I did this about a year ago and it has never hit since. My roof goes up and down at least once a day.

Last edited by jjrichar; 02-09-2014 at 05:49 PM.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
bigsteve330

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrichar View Post
Bigsteve, if you scroll down to the bottom of the thread linked above you will see a post I wrote regarding this subject. I had the same problem and went to fair bit of effort to work out exactly how the system worked and what needed to be done to fix it. Unfortunately the pictures have been removed (I made copies of an official BMW document and did some photoshop work to show where fluid flowed etc. They may have been removed due to copyright problems). I'll post some pictures of the mod I made to fix the problem when I get the chance.

Don't do the movement of the bracket mod that is promoted above. I did this to mine and it made no difference. I then got into the system and studied the BMW documents, which explained clearly why this won't work.

Put simply, the hydraulic cylinder that is opening the cover is always porting fluid to keep it open, even when the roof top is moving. The hydraulic cylinder is not at its full displacement when the cover is fully open. The cover stops where it does because there is a rubber stop that limits its movement (it strikes the arm that connects the cover to the pivot point). If the rubber stop was removed, the cover would open much further. This is why moving the bracket makes no difference. Look at the second picture (of the four) that are posted above. The rubber stop is where the 7 is in the date on the photo.

The key is to have the rubber stop not be so restrictive. The rubber stop is not a hard one, but it allows a good amount of compression. You just need to remove a small portion of it so it can compress more. I removed the small wedge part in the middle of it, which allowed the cover to open more each time.

Why does this problem happen? In my opinion it because the pump is producing a little less pressure after years of use. As I said before, when the roof top is moving (and a large amount of hyd pressure is being used) the same pressure is being used to hold up the cover so it doesn't get hit. With slightly lower operating pressure, the cover isn't being pushed as hard against the rubber stop and hence it doesn't open as far. Another option is to rebuild the pump, but the 10 minute mod that costs nothing was a better option to me.

I did this about a year ago and it has never hit since. My roof goes up and down at least once a day.

Thanks for all your information guys, i'm gonna start with the easy and less expensive option first. I'm gonna remove a small portion of the rubber stop and see how it goes. I looked at the other Threads and they helped, one said that you need to remove the hydraulic cylinder to put a new aerial in, which i'm gonna have to do as some little ****** has snapped my aerial. Thanks alot again.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #9
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
Photo below of mod

If you want the photos of the hyd diagrams that will help in understanding of the system, PM me and I'll send them to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 23.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	546080  

Last edited by jjrichar; 02-10-2014 at 05:27 PM.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote