E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
So it begins..Rich Want New Town to Keep Poor Out

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...06&id=17328094

White Flight destroyed Detroit, 50 years later it still has not recovered.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Elysium anyone?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
I'm sure it is frustrating when government forces things like section 8 housing and ruins your schools and property values. It has happened right here in the town I live, and it sucks. Oddly enough, those parts of town never seem to abut the areas where the politicians live.

They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet. - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-06-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #4
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
This should turn into an interadasting thread.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Why exactly is it bad that people are preserving their real estate values?

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-06-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Are there no private / parochial schools in the area that these families could enroll their children?

If you don't like what your public district has to offer, that seems like the most logical step....then again, logic doesn't seem to be heavy here.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Are there no private / parochial schools in the area that these families could enroll their children?

If you don't like what your public district has to offer, that seems like the most logical step....then again, logic doesn't seem to be heavy here.
Nope.

I have seen this attempted before. See, Fulton County Georgia.

People have yet to convince me that destroying home owners equity, or keeping it artificially suppressed is the way to make the poor more better of.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #8
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...06&id=17328094

White Flight destroyed Detroit, 50 years later it still has not recovered.
No, forcing people to live together who come from completely opposite ends of the socio-economic spectrum is what destroyed Detroit.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-06-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Great idea. They should put it next to the jesus freak town that the pizza guy wants to build.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
SLVR JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Nope.

People have yet to convince me that destroying home owners equity, or keeping it artificially suppressed is the way to make the poor more better of.
Making poor people better off is not the motivation, obviously. In fact, it completely disregards them so that the milddle / upper class area is insulated against those who are bringing them down.

If these people are motivated enough, they will start their own private school which is a fine solution. If they complain about the cost, then they aren't motivated enough to make a change...and they are poor too

** Removed **
Old 02-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Making poor people better off is not the motivation, obviously. In fact, it completely disregards them so that the milddle / upper class area is insulated against those who are bringing them down.

If these people are motivated enough, they will start their own private school which is a fine solution. If they complain about the cost, then they aren't motivated enough to make a change...and they are poor too
You've never gone through the home purchase process have you?

The school district in which a house resides has a material affect on the house's value. So if you have a wealthy and poor part of town, the wealth part of town's housing values are being artificially suppressed by the poor part of town, while simultaneously the poor part of town's housing values are being artificially inflated, if they share a common school district or school zoning areas.

By dividing this in half, the part of town that is now wealthy will have a marked appreciation in home values. This is being a good home owner. Most American's primary tool for retirement is the house they reside in.

And lastly, by your same logic the poors, if they don't like their school district should start their own private school, and if they can't afford it they're poor.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-06-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Nope.

To be clear - the Fulton County saga was the creation of new incorporated cities in unincorporated areas of the county to localize many governmental services that Fulton did a lousy job delivering. It had nothing to do with Fulton County schools, which remain unchanged and which, due to particular geographical factors, were already reflective of share demographics.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
To be clear - the Fulton County saga was the creation of new incorporated cities in unincorporated areas of the county to localize many governmental services that Fulton did a lousy job delivering. It had nothing to do with Fulton County schools, which remain unchanged and which, due to particular geographical factors, were already reflective of share demographics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_County,_Georgia

Many of these cities were already established before the Great Depression.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #14
SLVR JDM

Quote:
You've never gone through the home purchase process have you?

The school district in which a house resides has a material affect on the house's value. So if you have a wealthy and poor part of town, the wealth part of town's housing values are being artificially suppressed by the poor part of town, while simultaneously the poor part of town's housing values are being artificially inflated, if they share a common school district or school zoning areas.

By dividing this in half, the part of town that is now wealthy will have a marked appreciation in home values. This is being a good home owner. Most American's primary tool for retirement is the house they reside in.

And lastly, by your same logic the poors, if they don't like their school district should start their own private school, and if they can't afford it they're poor.
I bought my first house at age 23. I know how school districts influence property values.

My point is that if the middle class or rich really have no other options, they can get off their lazy butts and start a private school. Yes it is hard and costs a bunch, but if they are motivated they can make it happen. My HS (private) was less than 20 yrs old when I enrolled...it was started by a dedicated group of visionaries and they faced many challenges, but in the end succeeded.

** Removed **
Old 02-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #15
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
I bought my first house at age 23. I know how school districts influence property values.

My point is that if the middle class or rich really have no other options, they can get off their lazy butts and start a private school. Yes it is hard and costs a bunch, but if they are motivated they can make it happen. My HS (private) was less than 20 yrs old when I enrolled...it was started by a dedicated group of visionaries and they faced many challenges, but in the end succeeded.
So a group of people should continue to support a group of kids not their own via tax dollars while simultaneously out of pocketing cash for a private school system? You think this is the easier option?

The easier option is just separate from the entity that consumes their tax dollars, without returning any benefit.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-06-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
SLVR JDM

Quote:
So a group of people should continue to support a group of kids not their own via tax dollars while simultaneously out of pocketing cash for a private school system? You think this is the easier option?

The easier option is just separate from the entity that consumes their tax dollars.
I personally don't care what they do. I moved to an area which doesn't have such issues. My previous home was in exactly the sort of area in question and I got out to avoid the headaches.

** Removed **
Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
I personally don't care what they do. I moved to an area which doesn't have such issues. My previous home was in exactly the sort of area in question and I got out to avoid the headaches.
What sort of area, wealthy or poor, or a frankenstein hybrid type of area such as this one?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Once again the middle class loses... Can't afford a better area, can't afford private school, taxes wasted so rich people and poor people can play.

The only people with the means and motivation to demand attention from politicians

They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet. - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 02-06-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #19
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Once again the middle class loses... Can't afford a better area, can't afford private school, taxes wasted so rich people and poor people can play.

The only people with the means and motivation to demand attention from politicians
Absolutely. Its always the middle class that pays.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
SLVR JDM

Quote:
What sort of area, wealthy or poor, or a frankenstein hybrid type of area such as this one?
My previous area had beautiful Victorian $600-1.2M houses down the street from section 8 and crack dealers in the park (relatively small in comparison). Very diverse, but distinct lines. I lived in the transition area.

Not sure if that is what you were asking.

** Removed **