E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #41
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Don't look for ways to improve your school district, just make a new one.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #42
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Don't look for ways to improve your school district, just make a new one.
Absolutely.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #43
NOVAbimmer

If they don't want to live near poor people, maybe they should just move
Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #44
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
If they don't want to live near poor people, maybe they should just move
While they could, they could also not move, and just split the school district, as both scenarios moving, and splitting the school district have the same effect, without the negative side effects.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #45
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
While they could, they could also not move, and just split the school district, as both scenarios moving, and splitting the school district have the same effect, without the negative side effects.
Negative side effects for the ones rich enough to influence the government, none. But those are the only ones who matter, right?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #46
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Negative side effects for the ones rich enough to influence the government, none. But those are the only ones who matter, right?
Never said that. But using ones local tax dollars to benefit local residents seems logical. I mean, we ALLLLLL know that the middle and upper middle classes that pay the majority of American Federal Income Tax and Louisiana State Income Tax receive benefits in proportion to what they pay in.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #47
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
split the school district, as both scenarios moving, and splitting the school district have the same effect, without the negative side effects.
separate but equal eh?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #48
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Never said that. But using ones local tax dollars to benefit local residents seems logical. I mean, we ALLLLLL know that the middle and upper middle classes that pay the majority of American Federal Income Tax and Louisiana State Income Tax receive benefits in proportion to what they pay in.
they're all local now. I didn't see anything about kids being bused in from across town here.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #49
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
separate but equal eh?
In terms of finance? No.

Separate and unequal. Equality in finance is a super shitty idea. Its been tried before by the likes of the USSR, The 5th Republic, North Korea, and other fun places like Vietnam.

Education is a huge hornets nest of an issue, and I'll just opine that the German school system is infinitely more successful than the American one due to one factor: pragmatism over idealism.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #50
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
they're all local now. I didn't see anything about kids being bused in from across town here.
But you still have a single geographic area that encompasses two distinct socio-economic groups. One group benefits from the grouping while the other suffers detriment.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #51
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Quote:
But you still have a single geographic area that encompasses two distinct socio-economic groups. One group benefits from the grouping while the other suffers detriment.
So it's not an issue of "local tax dollars for local students" like you mentioned before, it's an issue of "wealthy tax dollars for wealthy students"
Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #52
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
So it's not an issue of "local tax dollars for local students" like you mentioned before, it's an issue of "wealthy tax dollars for wealthy students"
Yes, I could say so. And after looking up the area being discussed in Trulia, realize the "wealthy" here have an average income of under $100k per year. So what you have in reality is "middle class tax dollars going to middle class students."

Its a more efficient model, going back to the German model, but alas, in the American education system, logic and pragmatism take a back seat to blind hope and fervent rhetoric.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #53
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Yes, I could say so. And after looking up the area being discussed in Trulia, realize the "wealthy" here have an average income of under $100k per year. So what you have in reality is "middle class tax dollars going to middle class students."

Its a more efficient model, going back to the German model, but alas, in the American education system, logic and pragmatism take a back seat to blind hope and fervent rhetoric.
blind hope like "If we can dump the poor people out of our school district, our school district will improve"? Are there any statistics that show that a school district that has more money has better schools?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #54
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
They also say an influx of state money would buoy the students and teachers left behind: "Nothing will happen to them," said Lionel Rainey III, 36, a public-relations consultant who is the seceding group's lead spokesman.
Let the state's money bouy this school district. God forbid we use our own to do it.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #55
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
blind hope like "If we can dump the poor people out of our school district, our school district will improve"? Are there any statistics that show that a school district that has more money has better schools?
I spent literally 10 seconds on Google and found this;

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/salas.356..._better_grades

and this

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/report...r-Schools.aspx

and this

http://www.wnyc.org/story/311499-wea...r-state-exams/

So yes, their idea that "keeping the middle class kids together will increase the school's performance and thus increase our equity" is completely reasonable.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #56
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
I spent literally 10 seconds on Google and found this;

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/salas.356..._better_grades

and this

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/report...r-Schools.aspx

and this

http://www.wnyc.org/story/311499-wea...r-state-exams/

So yes, their idea that "keeping the middle class kids together will increase the school's performance and thus increase our equity" is completely reasonable.
so then why not use this "influx of state money" that would go to the remaining schools to bolster the existing district, rather than splitting the district and allowing the state to pick up the tab for the poor district?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #57
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
so then why not use this "influx of state money" that would go to the remaining schools to bolster the existing district, rather than splitting the district and allowing the state to pick up the tab for the poor district?
Because I imagine the homeowners in the "wealthy" district care a lot more about their own kids education and the value of their home than the state's balance sheet.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #58
NOVAbimmer

"me first" is definitely the way to run a civilization.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #59
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
"me first" is definitely the way to run a civilization.
Yes it is, as its universal to all humanity irrespective of culture, language, age, etc., etc., Its the beauty of true capitalism, it harnesses everyone's greed and a by product is the advancement of civilisation.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #60
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Yes it is, as its universal to all humanity irrespective of culture, language, age, etc., etc., Its the beauty of true capitalism, it harnesses everyone's greed and a by product is the advancement of civilisation.
would you say true capitalism is your final solution?