E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
badfast

My Ride: A Car
National Republican Congressional Campaign using fake Democrat websites to lure voter

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ers/?hpt=hp_t1

Quote:
A warning this election season: If you are searching the Web for information on Democratic congressional candidates, read the fine print.

At least 15 websites that appear to be official campaign sites for Democratic candidates, are actually the handiwork of the National Republican Congressional Committee.

In an effort to improve their online efforts this election season, the NRCC's digital team came up with what the group believes is a great idea: get out the Republican message through fake Democrat sites.

"The idea is people who are looking for information on the candidate, one of the places we all go now is online and so this is a way for folks to find out more about the candidates and information they may not find on the candidate's own site," said Daniel Scarpinato, the NRCC's press secretary.

The NRCC bought up hundreds of URLs on potential weak Democratic candidates and created sites that mimic the real ones.

It may sound deceiving, but Scarpinato insists the well-thought out, well-planned program is pure genius.

"Well, we are very proud of this program."

Montana Democratic congressional candidate John Lewis has a different opinion.

Lewis is one of the Democrats who Republicans have targeted with their own site called JohnLewis4congress.com.

"I have seen a lot of unfortunate uses of deception in the last few elections," Lewis told CNN. "This is just another in a long list of that."

Lewis said Montana voters will be able to "see right through a website that is based on deception." Still he bemoans what he calls outside interests backed by "dark money" trying to trick voters in his state.

Scarpinato at the NRCC says there are no tricks at all and disputes anyone's claim that the sites are deceptive.

"I think that sites are clear in terms of the disclosure and the content where were coming from," Scarpinato said. "And I also think it's important for voters to get all the perspectives on the candidates. So just as a candidate is going to put information out about themselves, we're going to put out information about the candidate that they are not putting out that we think is important for voters to know."

And to do that, the National Republican Congressional Campaign says it will expand its building of fake sites.

Do Democrats do it, too?

The NRCC press secretary told us the Republican strategy is cleverer, but that Democrats have done the same thing.

One day after CNN's interview Scarpinato directed CNN to a site mocking a Republican built by the Florida State Democratic Party, which the national Democrat Congressional Campaign Committee insists it had nothing to do with.

In a statement to CNN, the DCCC wrote, "It is not the DCCC's practice to make websites that could be confused with the opponents site."

Undeterred, the National Republican Congressional Committee thinks it has a winner and will create more fake websites as the 2014 midterm elections draw near.

The CNN video is

Last edited by badfast; 02-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Gatriel
Gr Di'

My Ride: KL38444
Does this logo mean anything to you?

Both sides are shady as crap. If everyone posted up links to the "bad guys" doing something shady, then we'd have 57 new threads a day.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Does this logo mean anything to you?

Both sides are shady as crap. If everyone posted up links to the "bad guys" doing something shady, then we'd have 57 new threads a day.

This certainly hits a new low of shadiness. One groups shadiness shouldn't justify another.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post

This certainly hits a new low of shadiness. One groups shadiness shouldn't justify another.
Yes, building digital straw men is materially worse, or a "new low and shadiness" when compared to double and triple voting via dead people, dogs, your pet gerbil.

Last edited by Gatriel; 02-06-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3

Politicians
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Yes, building digital straw men is materially worse, or a "new low and shadiness" when compared to double and triple voting via dead people, dogs, your pet gerbil.
Both sides have gotten out the vote via dead people, dogs, & your pet gerbil.

The more salient point is how close to online fraud is it, regardless of who's side is doing it. There is the entire argument on the "look&feel" of software and a web site can be defined as such. Not to mention copyright. Parody is protected as free speech. However, if the intent is possible & knowingly trying to subvert through mimicry that is not for the purposes of parody. The line on copyright infringement can be a thin one. There have been cases in the commercial arena with sites targeting corporations in a similar way.

Could it be that the alleged "pro-business" GOP could get hoisted with their own petard. That would be amusing. They supported corporations ability to protect themselves from this very activity. It would be poetic justice if they were foiled by the self-same.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Both sides have gotten out the vote via dead people, dogs, & your pet gerbil.

The more salient point is how close to online fraud is it, regardless of who's side is doing it. There is the entire argument on the "look&feel" of software and a web site can be defined as such. Not to mention copyright. Parody is protected as free speech. However, if the intent is possible & knowingly trying to subvert through mimicry that is not for the purposes of parody. The line on copyright infringement can be a thin one. There have been cases in the commercial arena with sites targeting corporations in a similar way.

Could it be that the alleged "pro-business" GOP could get hoisted with their own petard. That would be amusing. They supported corporations ability to protect themselves from this very activity. It would be poetic justice if they were foiled by the self-same.
This is what I think about these sites. The purpose doesn't seem to discredit or attack the opposition but rather profit through deceiving their supporters. But I am sure the have consulted with enough of the legal fellows to create a site that dances on a thin line.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Gatriel
Gr Di'

Quote:
This is what I think about these sites. The purpose doesn't seem to discredit or attack the opposition but rather profit through deceiving their supporters. But I am sure the have consulted with enough of the legal fellows to create a site that dances on a thin line.
While I think its super shady, deceiving stupid supporters because they are stupid is a tad hilarious at the same time.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/White...231222981.html

Come on, ^^^hilarious.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
If you can't beat 'em, cheat 'em.
Rhumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Are you kidding, badfast? Like this is the worst thing that's ever happened in politics? I'll bet if a Democrat did this you would never have said anything about it.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Are you kidding, badfast? Like this is the worst thing that's ever happened in politics? I'll bet if a Democrat did this you would never have said anything about it.
I bet if a Libertarian did this you wouldn't say anything about it, either.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
I find this sleazy, but also funny. Ideally this would not happen in our political discourse. But when we have the most powerful government agency in the US systematically and institutionally undermining legitimate political activity by one particular segment of the political spectrum, and there is not complete and total outrage from everyone in this country - regardless of political affiliation - then something like this doesn't really bother me for long.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I find this sleazy, but also funny. Ideally this would not happen in our political discourse. But when we have the most powerful government agency in the US systematically and institutionally undermining legitimate political activity by one particular segment of the political spectrum, and there is not complete and total outrage from everyone in this country - regardless of political affiliation - then something like this doesn't really bother me for long.
The FBI did undermine legitimate liberal activity for years, but with J Edgar gone, they have lightened up.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
The FBI did undermine legitimate liberal activity for years, but with J Edgar gone, they have lightened up.

And I would agree that was absolutely intolerable. But at least in that instance, you had one wacko - J. Edgar Hoover - running that show and once he was gone, it ended for the most part (I am sure there were some lingering JEH sychophants after he left).

What is more troubling about this current IRS situation is that, rather than being a recent, short-term push by a power-hungry White House Administration (who will be gone at some point), this scandal is completely the result of the fox guarding the hen house, as well as staffing all of the positions in the hen house. The anti-anti-big government mentality is in the DNA of IRS bureaucrats. I don't see or believe any evidence exists that Obama directed this. But I also don't believe he had to. And I sure as hell see a lot of evidence that he is more than happy to let it continue, unabated.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Internet shenanigans? impossible.

Hey what used to happen if you google Rick Santorum?

They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet. - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #16
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
I think it is absolute bull sh!t, and it needs to be stopped. Prosecute them to the highest degree of the law.

Both sides of this coin are filled with horrible people.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
My democrat mayor literally made up criminal allegations last week about my republican governor. MADE UP, COMPLETELY. Like out of thin air. Used her personally diary as the only form of evidence.

Both sides are guilty of this.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
My democrat mayor literally made up criminal allegations last week about my republican governor. MADE UP, COMPLETELY. Like out of thin air. Used her personally diary as the only form of evidence.

Both sides are guilty of this.
I am sure you have solid evidence to prove it was made up?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
This quote is interesting from the original post...

get out the Republican message through fake Democrat sites

Basically it seems that they are trying to get voters to vote based on ideology vs party lines. Im not sure thats such a bad thing (be it democrats or republicans.) A person voting based on policies is much better than voting simply for the democrats or the repubs. Hell, we should make voting a quiz. You answer a few questions on key issues, and the computer votes for the appropriate candidate. I have solved it!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #20
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Is anyone surprised that republicans think fraud is "hilarious"?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is online now   Reply With Quote