E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #21
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Is anyone surprised we still have signatures with christmas hats in February?

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #22
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Is anyone surprised we still have signatures with christmas hats in February?
I'm still surprised that you've never been on an airplane

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I'm still surprised that you've never been on an airplane
Is this relevant to the discussion?

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #24
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Is this relevant to the discussion?
Are santa hats? I thought we were derailing.....

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Does this logo mean anything to you?

Both sides are shady as crap. If everyone posted up links to the "bad guys" doing something shady, then we'd have 57 new threads a day.
Was it ever proven that ACORN did anything wrong. As far as I know, James O'Keefe is the one that landed in prison for trying to break into a government building. And it was also shown that their videos were heavily edited out of context and falsified to imply wrongdoing where there was none:
ACORN Report Finds No Illegal Conduct

Newscom

Zachary Roth Ė December 7, 2009, 5:51 PM EST516

ACORN employees caught in those undercover videos advising a couple posing as a pimp and a prostitute on how to break the law acted unprofessionally and inappropriately, but did nothing illegal, a report commissioned by ACORN and conducted by an independent investigator has found.

The report, by former Massachusetts Attorney General Scott Harshbarger, recommends nine steps for ACORN to take in order to regain public trust in the wake of the scandal, including that it return to its "core competency - community organizing and citizen engagement empowerment, with related services."
On the key question of potential illegal conduct, it finds:
While some of the advice and counsel given by ACORN employees and volunteers was clearly inappropriate and unprofessional, we did not find a pattern of intentional, illegal conduct by ACORN staff; in fact, there is no evidence that action, illegal or otherwise, was taken by any ACORN employee on behalf of the videographers.
Harshbarger also notes that the videos were sometimes less than perfect representations of the events they depict. He writes:
The videos that have been released appear to have been edited, in some cases substantially, including the insertion of a substitute voiceover for significant portions of Mr. O'Keefe's and Ms. Giles's comments, which makes it difficult to determine the questions to which ACORN employees are responding. A comparison of the publicly available transcripts to the released videos confirms that large portions of the original video have been omitted from the released versions.
In the wake of the scandal, Congress voted to cut off all federal funds from ACORN. In response, the group is suing the US government, arguing that the measure is a bill of attainder, and therefore unconstitutional.
Robert Borosage, of the progressive Campaign for America's Future, responded to the report's findings by declaring that "an organization that has done remarkable work organizing and empowering the poorest Americans was targeted and slurred by a right-wing hit team, then persecuted by legislators who should have known better."
You can read the full report here (pdf).
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckrak...llegal-conduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I would love to hear what Busa would have done
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I'd like to know how Busa would handle this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
What are we to do?
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #26
Gatriel

My Ride: Some e46
I was talking about stuff like this;

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...82750646102435

But I like the way you pick and choose your links so that they always correspond to points that make your arguments look better, but have no relevance to the topic at hand.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #27
'busa

Quote:
I was talking about stuff like this;

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...82750646102435

But I like the way you pick and choose your links so that they always correspond to points that make your arguments look better, but have no relevance to the topic at hand.
WSJ Opinion piece? What's it say? Didn't I already post a link that shows you that investigations have proven ACORN to be not guilty of any wrongdoing?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
Gatriel

Quote:
WSJ Opinion piece? What's it say? Didn't I already post a link that shows you that investigations have proven ACORN to be not guilty of any wrongdoing?
Nope. I definitely missed the part about Acorn not being guilty of any wrongdoing, ever.

How embarrassing for you -- you didn't even read the article you posted. I'll summarise for you, as you are either too lazy to do your own research and are just hoping for a zinger on an internet forum, or you have reading comprehension problems.

The article you referenced, discussed how, although morally reprehensible, Acorn helping a pimp pimp out underage prostitutes, is not illegal.

My article discussed voter fraud perpetuated by Acorn, which is what we were talking about.

However, if you want to talk about politicians and underage hookers, then there is always Anthony Weiner for the lulz.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #29
'busa

Quote:
The article you referenced, discussed how, although morally reprehensible, Acorn helping a pimp pimp out underage prostitutes, is not illegal.
The video later turned out to be heavily edited and there's evidence showing that the same workers thought there was something fishy going on and they were just playing along. I believe they even tried to get the girl in private so that they could help her.

Quote:
My article discussed voter fraud perpetuated by Acorn, which is what we were talking about.
Which amounted to people signing up "Mickey Mouse" so that they could get paid. It was on an individual level and not on an organizational level. ACORN even pointed the authorities in the right direction and helped with the investigations. And it definitely wasn't "voter fraud". "Voter registration fraud" is more like it.

Quote:
However, if you want to talk about politicians and underage hookers, then there is always Anthony Weiner for the lulz.
Anthony Wiener and underage hookers? News to me. Are we already going to a different topic?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #30
Gatriel

Quote:
which amounted to people signing up "mickey mouse" so that they could get paid. It was on an individual level and not on an organizational level. Acorn even pointed the authorities in the right direction and helped with the investigations. And it definitely wasn't "voter fraud". "voter registration fraud" is more like it.
Quote:
wsj opinion piece? What's it say? Didn't i already post a link that shows you that investigations have proven acorn to be not guilty of any wrongdoing?
qfp
Old 02-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #31
'busa

Quote:
qfp
Individuals. Not ACORN. Jesus Christ, I thought you were a lawyer.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?

Last edited by 'busa; 02-07-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #32
Gatriel

Quote:
Individuals. Not ACORN. Jesus Christ, I thought you were a lawyer.
Are you familiar with how an agency relationship or vicarious liability works?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #33
'busa

Quote:
Are you familiar with how an agency relationship or vicarious liability works?
I am familiar with the fact that the Congressional Research Service report commissioned by the House Judiciary Committee says ACORN hasnít violated any federal regulations, that the defunding of ACORN should be ruled unconstitutional and "that the undercover filmmakers that allegedly caught employees of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now breaking the law may have violated state law in their filming operation."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #34
Gatriel

Quote:
I am familiar with the fact that the Congressional Research Service report commissioned by the House Judiciary Committee says ACORN hasnít violated any federal regulations, that the defunding of ACORN should be ruled unconstitutional and "that the undercover filmmakers that allegedly caught employees of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now breaking the law may have violated state law in their filming operation."

Ok, so reading comprehension problems it is.

This as well as the CRS' report refers to the video tape of acorn where the lady is talking about helping out underage hookers.

This has *nothing* to do with the voter registration fraud, which occured after they were defunded.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #35
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
I bet if a Libertarian did this you wouldn't say anything about it, either.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I'll believe that when I see it. Libertarians play nice. They even have great ads that don't include any mud-slinging.

The Slum Lord Millionaire
"Stay Puft My Friends."

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote