E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #21
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Haven't a lot of these drug testing for public benefits policies been found unconstitutional for violating the 4th amendment?

Where does it stop, by the way? If we're going to do this, why not drug test people who get huge tax refunds? Or other people who benefit from public money?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #22
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Lalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalala all welfare recipients are drug addicts and welfare queens lalalalalala
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Of course, this Florida law applies to anyone and everyone obtaining monetary benefits from the state, right? I mean, we wouldn't want some drug-addled state contractor CEO squandering away the millions he receives from the state to perform some important functions and activities. I'm sure Florida isn't singling out just welfare recipients.

That is right, isn't it, or does this law only target people bellow a certain social station?
No, it should target anyone getting money for one reason or another. If you are going to punish and imprison the little guy, I think the same should be done for the big guy doing the same thing.

It'll never happen though. Thank large payouts, plea bargains and defense attorneys. The problems we have in this country are so multifaceted that no solution will ever be ok with everyone. We try to test for drug use for welfare, libs get pissy. Legalize pot to prevent the expenditure and create tax revenue, pubs get pissy.

I personally think if you choose to use, you choose to opt out of the government programs. Period. No help for you, end of story. Regardless if it is legal or not. On the lower scale of things, if you can afford the habit, you can afford food. You made a choice, full stomach or high.

As for corruption at the top end of things, you will never do away with it, and it comes from everywhere. Actually enforce the laws we have, and we can help fix some of the problem, especially government grants to contractors and other businesses by drug testing. Kill two birds with one stone. But as you know, it'll never happen.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #24
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Haven't a lot of these drug testing for public benefits policies been found unconstitutional for violating the 4th amendment?

Where does it stop, by the way? If we're going to do this, why not drug test people who get huge tax refunds? Or other people who benefit from public money?
Really? There is not enough for this post.

2002 M3
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #25
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Really? There is not enough for this post.
Try to respond using your words. Is a tax dollar worth more when going to a person on welfare vs. when it's going to a corporation as a subsidy? What's the difference?

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/02/fede...onstitutional/

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 02-07-2014 at 09:33 AM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #26
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Sure and anyone with a written prescription for medical mary jane gets a pass. If and only iff they have one. Problem is, I would bet many do not, and still smoke.

No one is suggesting forcing anyone to become an addict. All they are saying is that testing for illegal use prior to receiving benefits seems like a worthwhile cause.

If the cost of testing could be brought down (thanks obama) then we could very well find a way to change abuse in this portion of government spending. I totally see and understand the point, and I support that decision to move forward with it. I think it is hilarious you think it is ok for anyone without a prescription for any substance to abuse it and then abuse the system for a handout.

This goes for everyone. CEOs, contractors, everyone. If a kid can get thrown in prison for pot possession, anyone that tests positive for it while requesting any sort of grant, or government subsidy should have to be held to the same standards.

Maybe Obama can move forward from the ACA and a failed Immigration bill to legalize pot for the country?
how about i get to put in my body what i want without the government saying i can or can't?
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #27
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
You're all missing the point. The republican that owns the state-sanctioned testing facilities is making a fortune.
No, really.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...e-deal/1161158

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #28
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
how about i get to put in my body what i want without the government saying i can or can't?
Sure, go for it. I honestly don't care. I really hope pot gets legalized everywhere, so pot heads have nothing more to talk about ever.

I just think that in this situation, many here are very hypocritical. What you are basically saying is that you (being a regular citizen with a voice and a vote) can do whatever you want to do to your body, because you are in control. I'll agree that you should have that right. Now, you will criticize another human being for an addiction they had, because they felt is was their right to put whatever they wanted into their bodies. (PSH, Rush Limbaugh, any other celeb with an addiction) what makes this right?

Now, moving on. You pay your taxes, and your local government decides to allocate some of that money to programs to help the underprivileged. These people can't put food on the table, or cannot afford their bills or housing. But they can afford an illegal substance. They can spend the little money they have on pot, while we pay to feed them. How is this line of thinking even remotely "ok" with you?

I don't understand the logic. It is not about smoking pot. Hell, make it coke, or heroine. I really don't care what drug you make it about. It is about the ability to fund a drug habit while receiving aid. If the person was serious about getting the help they needed in order to get out of the whole, why should they be allowed to use anything while getting that help?

Same goes for subsidy recipients. If you are receiving ANYTHING in terms of monetary help from the local, state or federal government to help with a project or specific job, you should be held to a very high degree of scrutiny. D!cking off and pissing away that money should be punishable by jail, especially if it is drug related. I am amazed that no one else thinks this way.

2002 M3
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #29
kaput

Quote:
That is total bull sh!t. This is the kind of corruption on all levels of government that need to be stopped. I hope this prick gets hung and quartered.

2002 M3
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #30
bagher

Quote:
These people can't put food on the table, or cannot afford their bills or housing. But they can afford an illegal substance.
this is simply not happening, that is the whole point of the article in the original post. The drug using child factory welfare queen shooting up drugs paid for by uncle sam is just a made up fantasy to anger people.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #31
bagher

Quote:
That is total bull sh!t. This is the kind of corruption on all levels of government that need to be stopped. I hope this prick gets hung and quartered.
*hanged
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #32
kaput

Quote:
this is simply not happening, that is the whole point of the article in the original post. The drug using child factory welfare queen shooting up drugs paid for by uncle sam is just a made up fantasy to anger people.
Sorry, but I disagree. Maybe in this specific instance, but many people in my area are exactly like this. The pay with food stamps, and buy alcohol and weed, complain about not being able to get a job because of testing, and let the tax payers pay the utility subsidies.

It happens more than you think.

In PA, one parent of the two can apply and fill out the forms. If that one parent is not a drug user, they would pass the drug test, and receive subsidies, while the other parent could get baked and watch cartoons. There are loopholes.

2002 M3

Last edited by kaput; 02-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
bagher

Quote:
Sorry, but I disagree. Maybe in this specific instance, but many people in my area are exactly like this. The pay with food stamps, and buy alcohol and weed, complain about not being able to get a job because of testing, and let the tax payers pay the utility subsidies.

It happens more than you think.
[citation needed]
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #34
kaput

Quote:
*hanged
I actually had "hanged" written and it looked wrong.

2002 M3
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 AM   #35
bagher

Quote:
I actually had "hanged" written and it looked wrong.
English is a pretty stupid language.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #36
bagher

Quote:
In PA, one parent of the two can apply and fill out the forms. If that one parent is not a drug user, they would pass the drug test, and receive subsidies, while the other parent could get baked and watch cartoons. There are loopholes.

again, any system can be abused. the rate was 2%. and it costs more money to test than it saves.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #37
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Conservatives are amused.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #38
kaput

Quote:
again, any system can be abused. the rate was 2%. and it costs more money to test than it saves.
So the solution in your eyes is to stop testing, and essentially pay for food and utilities for people who make terrible choices and decided their drug of choice is more important than food and heat?

Great idea. So what is going to help push these people to creating a better life, and what is stopping me from getting fvcked up and waiting for my food stamps to arrive?

2002 M3
Old 02-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #39
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
you know a lot of people use pot as medication for a myriad of illnesses, right?

should they go get oxycontin and become addicted instead?
Certainly! Except they can't get job at an employer who requires drug testing. Hmmm, the comparison and the irony.

Drug testing is not a violation of ones rights because it's voluntary like drug testing at work or being searched at the airport. If it goes to the US Supreme Court, it will win on appeal.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #40
kaput

Quote:
Conservatives are amused.
I was being serious. I hate this kind of thing, regardless of what side of the aisle they are on. It is a conflict of interest, and he should lose his job and be fined for making money off of this.

2002 M3