E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #41
bagher

My Ride: Marshmallow logic
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
So the solution in your eyes is to stop testing, and essentially pay for food and utilities for people who make terrible choices and decided their drug of choice is more important than food and heat?

Great idea. So what is going to help push these people to creating a better life, and what is stopping me from getting fvcked up and waiting for my food stamps to arrive?
man these people who are mooching off the system have it figured out! they are LIVING. THE. LIFE. I'm surprised most people haven't figured out how life is so good when you don't have to work!

I bet they get 7 steak and lobster dinners a week with their fat gov't check and they have leftover for pot?! wowwww
bagher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #42
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
man these people who are mooching off the system have it figured out! they are LIVING. THE. LIFE. I'm surprised most people haven't figured out how life is so good when you don't have to work!

I bet they get 7 steak and lobster dinners a week with their fat gov't check and they have leftover for pot?! wowwww
So, you don't have an answer?

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #43
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Haven't a lot of these drug testing for public benefits policies been found unconstitutional for violating the 4th amendment?

Where does it stop, by the way? If we're going to do this, why not drug test people who get huge tax refunds? Or other people who benefit from public money?

Quote:
Quote:
this is simply not happening, that is the whole point of the article in the original post. The drug using child factory welfare queen shooting up drugs paid for by uncle sam is just a made up fantasy to anger people.
Sorry, but I disagree.
You disagree based on what?

Quote:
Maybe in this specific instance, but many people in my area are exactly like this.
Your argument is "Maybe in this state-wide study and economic analysis of the value of drug testing it has been proven that poor people don't use drugs at any higher a rate than other folks, and the cost to prevent them from getting state funds is actually greater than the funds that would be saved, but in my area there are many people... It happens more than you think."

Nice.

Quote:
So the solution in your eyes is to stop testing, and essentially pay for food and utilities for people who make terrible choices and decided their drug of choice is more important than food and heat?

Great idea. So what is going to help push these people to creating a better life, and what is stopping me from getting fvcked up and waiting for my food stamps to arrive?
The solution is to realize that poor people are not automatically "worse people" due to their social or economic status. They're just like the rest of us and don't require special scrutiny. If we were to assume that they use drugs at the same rate as the rest of the population, we'd realize that trying to prevent a small number of people who might use drugs (which might be legal soon anyway) does not justify the cost of doing so. Not very complicated.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
bagher

Quote:
So, you don't have an answer?
I told you it's a non issue (2% tested postivie). This is a fact. You disagree citing anecdotes, not data. There is no point in a further response.

Last edited by bagher; 02-07-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #45
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Haven't a lot of these drug testing for public benefits policies been found unconstitutional for violating the 4th amendment?

Where does it stop, by the way? If we're going to do this, why not drug test people who get huge tax refunds? Or other people who benefit from public money?
The tax refunds (not the earned income tax credit) was their money to begin. What other public money? Social Security retirement? Again, they paid into it and should not be penalized when they withdraw.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #46
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
I told you it's a non issue (2% tested postivie). This is a fact. You disagree citing anecdotes, not data. There is no point in a further response.
But WELFARE FRAUD!!!!!!

Why aren't the conservatives amused when poor people commit fraud?

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Lair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #47
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
How about we go the other direction... give them MORE drugs. Let those junkies take themselves out of the tax pool.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #48
bagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
How about we go the other direction... give them MORE drugs. Let those junkies take themselves out of the tax pool.
oh noes the cannabis overdose!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #49
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
The tax refunds (not the earned income tax credit) was their money to begin. What other public money? Social Security retirement? Again, they paid into it and should not be penalized when they withdraw.

When people get more back than what they paid in? That's not their money to begin with.

Corporate subsidy money? Should we start drug testing corporations?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #50
Stickbuilder

Quote:
When people get more back than what they paid in? That's not their money to begin with.
Tell me about EITC.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Old 02-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #51
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I think this tends to reveal this requirement more as a sop to current right wing ideology than a pragmatic tool to address a real problem.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #52
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
I think this tends to reveal this requirement more as a sop to current right wing ideology than a pragmatic tool to address a real problem.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #53
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

I'm sure there are many people that would prefer not to work if their basic needs are taken care of. Additionally, you can still work off the books for disposable income.

Quote:
Do you think it is possible that some people ceased using drugs because there was testing and they wanted to keep their benefits?

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president." October 23, 2010, not January 20, 2009

Last edited by Act of God; 02-07-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #54
Lair
E46Fanatic

Anything's possible.

It's possible that republican governor Rick Scott thought no one would notice that he transferred his shares of Solantic to his wife immediately before he mounted the charge to pass a welfare drug testing law.

Quote:
If you ever want to see what I mean by the arbitrariness of categories, check the situation of polarized politics. The next time a Martian visits earth, try to explain to him to why those who favor allowing capital punishment also oppose the elimination of a fetus in the mother's womb.
Congratulations.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #55
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I'm sure there are many people that would prefer not to work if their basic needs are taken care of. Additionally, you can still work off the books for disposable income.

Do you think it is possible that some people ceased using drugs because there was testing and they wanted to keep their benefits?
It is possible and probable that some ceased drug usage because of the tests. But what number? A handful or 60% of reciepants? How about 80? Does the known amount or the desired amount (based on stereotypes about usage and actual test outcomes) justify the program politically and/or economically?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #56
Stickbuilder

I live in Central Florida and I'm in favor of the testing. If I must take a drug test to earn a living and pay my taxes, then you should have to pass a drug test to take away part of what I have earned. Personally, I don't give a damn if it costs tons more than it saves, as long as I'm not being forced to provide for those who choose to live a lifestyle that includes illegal drug use.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #57
Lair
E46Fanatic

You'd rather pay for welfare drug testing AND welfare?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #58
Stickbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
You'd rather pay for welfare drug testing AND welfare?
Yes I would. If testing ferrets out one person who is using the payments to buy and use drugs, then IMO it's worth the cost.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Old 02-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #59
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
Yes I would. If testing ferrets out one person who is using the payments to buy and use drugs, then IMO it's worth the cost.

That is ridicilous.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #60
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
That is ridicilous.
Seriously.