E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #61
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
guess what....things are rough for everyone.
Not in government. Shhh...it's ok there little one, Uncle Sam's got you. Let me feed you a bottle of tax dollars.

I really should start making political cartoons. I'm imagining this one right now.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #62
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Workers have the right to collectively bargain. Check the USSC rulings.

I am against having a mandate that an employer can ONLY hire union workers. However, if the union can put any entity, commercial or civil, into a position where they agree by contract to do so, more power to them. Or if they can cause a disruption in that "business" by strike and that makes the "business" entity cave to union demands at the negotiation table. Again, more power to them. If the union can drive the "business" out of business more power to them. If the business can "break" the union by not being mandated to hire only union labor, more power to them.
I support the right of workers to collectively bargain 100%. However, that does not mean a union. The workers of Mcdonalds can walk off the job, but not the entire fast food industry. The workers shouldn't have to pay dues of any kind, there shouldn't be any form of "leadership" that isn't part of the actual workforce, and there cannot be collective bargaining on a full industry scale. The teachers of ONE SCHOOL should be able to air out their problems, but not the entire state/city. If I was in power, I would outlaw union reps, union real estate, union bank accounts, union funds of any kind, and then the workers and the workers alone would have the power to collectively bargain.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #63
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I have yet to call for an increase in pay. I also didn't say they need to be paid less. I am just saying trying to link salary and performance without considering all the variables at play is a huge disservice.

If dumping money at the situation won't fix the problem, how do you suppose that shrinking the budget will?
I never called for shrinking the budget. My opinion was we should put education high up on our agenda as a country. But before we dare raise teacher salaries, the issues need to be resolved. It's a systematic process that would solve a lot of issues, but the kicker is teachers need buy in from their communities, supervisors, local government, parents of students, and students themselves.

Passionate teachers deserve their pay and more. Just like myself. I'm passionate about my job and the people that work for my company and their families. I work long hours while making a starting engineer salary and even though I deserve more, I try to refrain from being self-centered and all about money. I work unpaid overtime to keep my colleagues employed and to protect the business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Come to where I live. Ill give you an example by introducing you to people who have had first hand accounts.

You know, "real people" that are "ordinary folks"

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I live near ordinary folks. Most of my neighbors are African American AND military. I live close to Hampton and Norfolk...
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 02-09-2014 at 02:10 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #64
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Teachers' salaries are public record. I can tell you in my town (which is middle class/some lower class pockets) teachers make decent-excellent money... Entry level teachers make about $35k/year and all of the teachers that have been there for a while make $80-140k/year. The $140k/year is the principal of my town's highschool.

Leezy321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #65
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
I love how you ignored the other posts reinforcing my point.
I love how I'm on my iPhone, with my wife and kid, at car dealerships looking to buy a family car and really don't give a F about what you have to say or your "points". My attention span for serval posts at this point on e46F is minimal

MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #66
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Teachers' salaries are public record. I can tell you in my town (which is middle class/some lower class pockets) teachers make decent-excellent money... Entry level teachers make about $35k/year and all of the teachers that have been there for a while make $80-140k/year. The $140k/year is the principal of my town's highschool.

Sounds about right for the Northeast. I had a lot of fun in class one day when I pulled up teacher's salaries and read them to the class and teacher.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 02-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #67
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I never called for shrinking the budget. My opinion was we should put education high up on our agenda as a country. But before we dare raise teacher salaries, the issues need to be resolved. It's a systematic process that would solve a lot of issues, but the kicker is teachers need buy in from their communities, supervisors, local government, parents of students, and students themselves.

Passionate teachers deserve their pay and more. Just like myself. I'm passionate about my job and the people that work for my company and their families. I work long hours while making a starting engineer salary and even though I deserve more, I try to refrain from being self-centered and all about money. I work unpaid overtime to keep my colleagues employed and to protect the business.
Agreed. You should check out the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) report on the US education system. A good read and paints a picture why US students are becoming noncompetitive participants in the world today.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #68
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I went to private schools my whole life, and I can say that my thoughts on the difficulty of college compared to the other public school kids around me was...very different. The private school and home school kids tended to do better in my classes.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #69
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I went to private schools my whole life, and I can say that my thoughts on the difficulty of college compared to the other public school kids around me was...very different. The private school and home school kids tended to do better in my classes.
I'm sure it was an advantage. I started in one of those early learning centers at age 3 and then by kindergarten I was doing multiplication tables when most kids were just starting school and learning shapes.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 02-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #70
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Public school was easy...I maintained pretty much a 4.0 and never really studied outside of the classroom. I always thought it should be more difficult but then teachers would have to teach better or fail more students. Something a lot of parents couldn't stand to bear the thought of...

Just glad my university was difficult because it forced me to study, analyze, and draw conclusions. Well I forced myself because I was footing the bill.

Edit: and this is anecdotal, but when I went from public school in New York to public school in Virginia, I was ahead of my peers in many of the subjects.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Healthcare - Top notch

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 02-09-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #71
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Shocking.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #72
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
I love how I'm on my iPhone, with my wife and kid, at car dealerships looking to buy a family car and really don't give a F about what you have to say or your "points". My attention span for serval posts at this point on e46F is minimal

Calm your nipples. If you are going to have a debate, it doesn't really work when you don't read the posts. Im sorry I didn't know you were out shopping for a new car, my personal spy drone is at the dealer for service.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #73
Zell
Banned User

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
I was ahead of my peers in many of the subjects.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #74
NFRs2000nyc

BTW, do yourself a favor and look at the 2014 Grand Cherokee. We spent the last week test driving everything and anything and nothing besides a Q7 came close.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-09-2014 at 03:42 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:45 PM   #75
badfast

Quote:
BTW, do yourself a favor and look at the 2014 Grand Cherokee.
Dude, government worker. Why would he mess around with such middle class "luxury".

He is probably eyeing up a 2014 Cayenne turbo. At 110k base he can still afford to show up to work with confidence without tapping into his private island pension when he retires at 38. Imagine the comments if he showed up in a Jeep.

Last edited by badfast; 02-09-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #76
bimmerfan08

Quote:
What?
Sick Days - Unlimited
Healthcare - Top notch

Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #77
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Dude, government worker. Why would he mess around with such middle class "luxury".

He is probably eyeing up a 2014 Cayenne turbo. At 110k base he can still afford to show up to work with confidence without tapping into his private island pension when he retires at 38.

In all seriousness military officers do well for themselves.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Healthcare - Top notch

Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #78
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

He is probably eyeing up a 2014 Cayenne turbo. At 110k base he can still afford to show up to work with confidence without tapping into his private island pension when he retires at 38. Imagine the comments if he showed up in a Jeep.
I have no problem with military servicemen making big money. In fact, as I mentioned in another thread, I think the servicemen in this country are treated worse than dogs. If he can afford a C. Turbo, I'll be happy....much happier than when I see union members of a sh!t schools rolling around in benzes with 500K salaries.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #79
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
I have no problem with military servicemen making big money. In fact, as I mentioned in another thread, I think the servicemen in this country are treated worse than dogs. If he can afford a C. Turbo, I'll be happy....much happier than when I see union members of a sh!t schools rolling around in benzes with 500K salaries.
I like how the Vice Prinicipal (one of two) at my old high school of only 1200 students makes $120k for 10 months of work and drives a new E-Class.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 02-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #80
badfast

Quote:
Do you often see union members of sh!t schools with 500k salaries?