E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #21
wapner

My Ride: 05 Xi
OK, I found the box in the trunk finally, and dismounted it, flipped it over and it is a 84.11 6952218-01 BMW EVEREST IBUS US
BT: 00E00c551228
PK: 4648
ESN: 146-02392289

So, it appears it definately has the BT, but still wont do anything except tell me "no #'s stored when I try and link.
So again I'm assuming it has to many phones stored. Will look into purchasing that device to delete priors, and hope for best.
wapner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #22
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
OP, if your car has the BT module installed, you need to either install or locate the existing pairing button. Lift out the cup holders an look in there. It will be a harness with a button on the end or a place for you to install a button. I have the same year car as you, it was PREWIRED for BT. I installed everything and it worked perfectly. If you need, I will take a picture of the bluetooth pairing button. Let me know.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 AM   #23
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Your not going to give up on this!!

So you know you have a box with BT. This is a good start.

Now, you state that it ?but still wont do anything except tell me "no #'s stored when I try and link"

What do you mean it "tells me "no #'s stored when I try and link"?

Here is how the units work, maybe you are going about this all the wrong way?

Put your phone in BT discovery mode, make sure you have the BT turned on.

BTW, what type of phone do you have?

Turn the ignition on or start the car, these unit "should" go into auto pairing mode for like the first 90-120 seconds upon start up. Do not touch any buttons on the steering wheel.

You phone should be put in discovery mode just before you turn the key on. Some newer phones require that you make the phone "visible" as well.

You should find your car broadcasting the BT identifier.

If not, I would try any other phone just to rule out a phone issue.

If you do not see a BT identifier, then there is an issue with your module in the car.

Might try to connect your phone to something different to make sure you know how to work it and you might also try a different phone or computer to try and find the BT identifier.

If none of this works, it is time for software to see what is going on.

Might also disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together for 30 seconds to make sure everything in the is reset and working correctly.

I can tell you I had all sorts of issues with the orignal ULF in my 2006 E46 convertible while it was on the way out. I had to pull fuses ever week or so, then the unit finally quit. ULF was replaced under CPO warranty.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #24
sandman512

Jfoj,

He needs a pairing a button. If the vehicle is pre-wired, he needs to locate the button(if installed by previous owner) or install one himself into the existing harness. I believe bimmernav.com sells the part, at least that is where I purchased it from.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #25
330XiNamedBif

My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
my car's build date is 10/04. I ran into similar problems, but you're through the hard part (locating the Pairing Key). It took me three or 4 tries but it finally synced. I find the phonebook tedious and difficult to use so I use the voice dial function and then talk hands free. What I like most is that my maps apps will automotically mute my music and announce directions. Placing the phone against the ashtray door seems to be the optimal place to view the phone in navigation mode.

For anyone with this same problem in the future the dealership and BMW NA did not document this information and will not be of any help. The easiest thing to do is remove the left inner trunk trim, fine the module mounted above the wheel well, remove nuts from each corner, and you will find the 4 digit PK code on a stick affixed to the bottom of the module)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #26
wapner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
OP, if your car has the BT module installed, you need to either install or locate the existing pairing button. Lift out the cup holders an look in there. It will be a harness with a button on the end or a place for you to install a button. I have the same year car as you, it was PREWIRED for BT. I installed everything and it worked perfectly. If you need, I will take a picture of the bluetooth pairing button. Let me know.
I would really appreciate a picture if you could thanks!!
I looked everywhere for the button in various locations I read, no luck.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #27
wapner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Your not going to give up on this!!

So you know you have a box with BT. This is a good start.

Now, you state that it ?but still wont do anything except tell me "no #'s stored when I try and link"

What do you mean it "tells me "no #'s stored when I try and link"?

Here is how the units work, maybe you are going about this all the wrong way?

Put your phone in BT discovery mode, make sure you have the BT turned on.

BTW, what type of phone do you have?

Turn the ignition on or start the car, these unit "should" go into auto pairing mode for like the first 90-120 seconds upon start up. Do not touch any buttons on the steering wheel.

You phone should be put in discovery mode just before you turn the key on. Some newer phones require that you make the phone "visible" as well.

You should find your car broadcasting the BT identifier.

If not, I would try any other phone just to rule out a phone issue.

If you do not see a BT identifier, then there is an issue with your module in the car.

Might try to connect your phone to something different to make sure you know how to work it and you might also try a different phone or computer to try and find the BT identifier.

If none of this works, it is time for software to see what is going on.

Might also disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together for 30 seconds to make sure everything in the is reset and working correctly.

I can tell you I had all sorts of issues with the orignal ULF in my 2006 E46 convertible while it was on the way out. I had to pull fuses ever week or so, then the unit finally quit. ULF was replaced under CPO warranty.
Iphone 4 is what is trying to be linked. It links in about 2 seconds in my car (this one is my wifes), so phone is working fine. When I do the procedure for syncing, the phone will just search for device indefinately.

I tried unhooking battery for 1/2 hour, still same thing.

No BT identifier ever displays. After several minutes, I try pressing something on steering wheels control is when I see "no #'s stored". I've waited up to 15 minutes on several occasions w/o touching anything.

So based on what you said there must be an issue with this BT module in car I guess. Or I was thinking about the mention of too many phones stored in it, as I do not know its past history of phones.

Thanks again for trying to help with this!!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #28
sandman512

Here you go.
First pic. is of the cup holder.
Third is the cup holder removed.
Second is the pairing button(I purchased the button), the harness is located in there.(at least on mine)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140210_133245.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	546049   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140210_133312.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	546050   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140210_133256.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	546051  
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #29
330XiNamedBif

The pairing button only exists if the bluetooth system was an accessory installed after production. Vehicles with factory integrated bluetooth (on VIN decoder list) will not come with the center console button. WIth integrated bluetooth the pairing button is one of the steering wheel buttons.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #30
sandman512

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
The pairing button only exists if the bluetooth system was an accessory installed after production. Vehicles with factory integrated bluetooth (on VIN decoder list) will not come with the center console button. WIth integrated bluetooth the pairing button is one of the steering wheel buttons.
My 2005 E46 came prewired for BT. I installed a module, mic(I think) and a pairing button and it all worked. The OP doesn't mention anything of a PAIRING BUTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL. OP, take a pic. of your steering wheel.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #31
sandman512

OP, check this link out: Some stuff may apply to your:
situation:
http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_E46_Blu...tructions.html
Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #32
330XiNamedBif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
My 2005 E46 came prewired for BT. I installed a module, mic(I think) and a pairing button and it all worked. The OP doesn't mention anything of a PAIRING BUTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL. OP, take a pic. of your steering wheel.
To be clear, there is no button on the steering wheel that says pair. I can't remember atm but it is either the R/T button or the phone button that you press to put the system in pairing mode. When in pairing mode radio should show a message that says PAIRING or something to that effect. I believe I found a how-to on the BMWUSA website that gave pretty clear instructions.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #33
wapner

Sandman, thanks for the help again!! I'll dig into the cup holder area again tonight when my wife gets back from work.

This is a pic of the exact steering wheel I have, R/T button and guy talking button.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #34
jfoj

I think the pairing button was only for early model cars/earlier build ULF modules?

My E39 needs a pairing button, I did not bother to install one, I was able to ground or jumper the pins originally near/on the module connector, then I found out with either NavCoder or BMW Scanner 1.4.0 there is a Pairing command in the software so you do not need the pairing button if you have the software and the module does not Auto Pair.

The R/T button on the steering wheel is really not a pairing button. All it does is swap the radio display between Radio (R) and Telephone (T).

People think it is a pairing button because it usually defaults to Radio (R) and if you push the button in the first 2 minutes of turning the ignition on/starting the car you will see Pairing or something like that on the radio display.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #35
wapner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I think the pairing button was only for early model cars/earlier build ULF modules?

My E39 needs a pairing button, I did not bother to install one, I was able to ground or jumper the pins originally near/on the module connector, then I found out with either NavCoder or BMW Scanner 1.4.0 there is a Pairing command in the software so you do not need the pairing button if you have the software and the module does not Auto Pair.

The R/T button on the steering wheel is really not a pairing button. All it does is swap the radio display between Radio (R) and Telephone (T).

People think it is a pairing button because it usually defaults to Radio (R) and if you push the button in the first 2 minutes of turning the ignition on/starting the car you will see Pairing or something like that on the radio display.
Yeah, the pairing display never comes up (just no #'s stored is only display). Again I think you nailed it with it possibly having to manny phones stored, OR, this being that damn 08/2004 birth date, they put everything in it to be ready, but never officially activated these things till 09/2004. I'll look at tonight and see if I can jump that harness, or if it looks like Sandmans pictures and buy the switch.

I mentioned last night I messed around with that R/T switch so much, and mode switch on radio(was graspin at straws), I managed to accidentally change my radio to China frequency, and lost all my reception. Finally found a thread somewhere that nailed what I did, and was able to set it back to USA. That was a waste of 4 hours of my life by accident. Lesson learned, dont randomly hold down and press buttons on a BMW.

Anyways, through all this I cant thank you guys enough for the help. I'm close now. Narrowed to most likely...need to order switch, or possibly jumper wire it, or see about deleting other phones from it that may be in there. The later I doubt because I bought the car used from an extremely elderly couple that I doubt would of ever had a cell phone, and they were the original owners.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapner View Post
Yeah, the pairing display never comes up (just no #'s stored is only display). Again I think you nailed it with it possibly having to manny phones stored, OR, this being that damn 08/2004 birth date, they put everything in it to be ready, but never officially activated these things till 09/2004. I'll look at tonight and see if I can jump that harness, or if it looks like Sandmans pictures and buy the switch.

I mentioned last night I messed around with that R/T switch so much, and mode switch on radio(was graspin at straws), I managed to accidentally change my radio to China frequency, and lost all my reception. Finally found a thread somewhere that nailed what I did, and was able to set it back to USA. That was a waste of 4 hours of my life by accident. Lesson learned, dont randomly hold down and press buttons on a BMW.

Anyways, through all this I cant thank you guys enough for the help. I'm close now. Narrowed to most likely...need to order switch, or possibly jumper wire it, or see about deleting other phones from it that may be in there. The later I doubt because I bought the car used from an extremely elderly couple that I doubt would of ever had a cell phone, and they were the original owners.
Simple 1 word solution - SOFTWARE!

You WILL need it and WILL use it for other things as well.

Between $30-$50.

With NavCoder you will need the Beta version if you want to use a USB to OBDII interface.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #37
sandman512

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapner View Post
Sandman, thanks for the help again!! I'll dig into the cup holder area again tonight when my wife gets back from work.

This is a pic of the exact steering wheel I have, R/T button and guy talking button.

I have the same wheel. The R/T is to toggle between the Radio/Telephone. I could be mistaken, but you still need a pairing button. Look for that harness.

Taken from Bimmernavs website:

2) Follow the instructions in the owners manual of your cellular phone to DISCOVER Bluetooth. Once the system is found use the Pairing Key code found on your ULF module part number sticker. Once the system and phone find each other the radio or nav display will say Pairing successful. At this time you can turn the key off, and using the phone's users guide set the phone to BLUETOOTH always ON, and not automatic. PLEASE NOTE the steering wheel button is NOT the pairing button, and does not support pairing of phones.

Last edited by sandman512; 02-10-2014 at 05:53 PM.
sandman512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #38
330XiNamedBif

It sounds like you have the factory bluetooth system. When I unsuccessfully tried to sync my phone i received the same "No #s Stored" message. Syncing is temperamental with this system. You need to press the "man speaking button" within a few seconds of turning the ignition to "accessories on", then you will be able to view the vehicle in the iphone bluetooth menu. It will show as BMW#####. Then select BMW##### and key in the PK code. The phone will then communicate with the vehicle for several minutes while your phonebook "loads."

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #39
wapner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
It sounds like you have the factory bluetooth system. When I unsuccessfully tried to sync my phone i received the same "No #s Stored" message. Syncing is temperamental with this system. You need to press the "man speaking button" within a few seconds of turning the ignition to "accessories on", then you will be able to view the vehicle in the iphone bluetooth menu. It will show as BMW#####. Then select BMW##### and key in the PK code. The phone will then communicate with the vehicle for several minutes while your phonebook "loads."

Good luck!
I will try that in just a bit. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #40
wapner

Just tried that pairing method about 20X's, no luck again.
I took cup holder out again, still didnt see anything. Then to the right side, I saw a small velcro looking flap, and pulled on it, wouldnt budge. Feeling gutsy, I pulled out console base a bit on passenger side, and pulled velcro lookin corner a bit more, and low and behold that elusive harned pulled out that looks just like this

Whoever stuffed that in there at the factory was thorough, as I could see about a dime size piece of that velcro only showing, rest was shoved under the side carpeting.

So, now I gues I need to track down that "pairing button" from a vendor somewhere.
The hunt begins.
Looking at that site mentioned that I posted image from, but cant seem to find the part.