E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #61
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post

When I was trying to save money several years ago, I kept the AC off most of the summer. A few days it got up to 95 degrees in my house, it felt ''cooler' outside in 100 degree heat than it did inside. When I got home, my cat would run outside in the 100 degree heat and sit in the shade. It was that miserable.

Just got a visual of a kitty cat making a beeline out of the door.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #62
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
There isn't much to learn for my major.
Then why bother? Apparently you're just wasting your time in college, because you know, you're soooo way ahead of your peers and have nothing to learn.

Why don't you just drop out and save your parents the tuition money?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-09-2014 at 08:40 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #63
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond42262 View Post

btw lair, when they cut food stamps they aslo cut aid to big farmers.
orly

Quote:
obama signs farm bill that trims food stamps

the bill expands federal crop insurance and ends direct government payments

by nedra pickler, associated press, 02-08-14

east lansing, mich. president barack obama on friday signed into law an agriculture spending bill that will spread benefits to farmers in every region of the country, while trimming the food stamp program that inspired a two-year battle over the legislation.

As he penned his name on the five year measure at michigan state university, obama said the wide-ranging bill "multitasks" by helping boost jobs, innovation, research and conservation. "it's like a swiss army knife," he joked.

But not everyone is happy with the legislation and obama acknowledged its passage was "a very challenging piece of business."

the bill expands federal crop insurance and ends direct government payments that go to farmers whether they produce anything or not. but the bulk of its nearly $100 billion per year cost is for the food stamp program that aids 1 in 7 americans.

The bill finally passed with support from democratic and republican lawmakers from farming states, but the bipartisan spirit didn't extend to the signing ceremony where obama was flanked by farm equipment, hay bales and democratic lawmakers. White house press secretary jay carney said several republicans were invited, but all declined to attend.

Conservatives remain unhappy with the bill and its generous new subsidies for interests ranging from southern peanut growers and midwest corn farmers to the northeast maple syrup industry.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #64
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Then why bother? Apparently you're just wasting your time in college, because you know, you're soooo way ahead of your peers and have nothing to learn.

Why don't you just drop out and save your parents the tuition money?
We aren't going back into this topic.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #65
MDydinanM

Quote:
We aren't going back into this topic.
why not?

Are you too cool for school?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #66
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

We've gone over it before and you won't listen.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #67
MDydinanM

Quote:
We've gone over it before and you won't listen.
just like you won't listen to anyone's advice on here?
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #68
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

What advice? Stop being a free thinker? Many have tried.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #69
MDydinanM

Quote:
What advice? Stop being a free thinker? Many have tried.
Oh so you're a free thinker? That's funny. Here I thought you were regurgitating other people's ideas and claiming them as your own, rather, "you've had these ideas all along"

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #70
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Oh no! Some of my ideas overlap others! How could this happen in a world of 7 billion other ideas?!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #71
MDydinanM

Quote:
Oh no! Some of my ideas overlap others! How could this happen in a world of 7 billion other ideas?!
I highly doubt you had these ideas a priori

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-10-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #72
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
In economic terms, if you are not a contributing member of society (which includes minimum wage workers, landscapers, lettuce pickers, etc) then technically, as far as the country is concerned, yes, you (the general you) are useless.
How has Marshy contributed to society?

And no, marshmallow shooters are not a "must have" for society.

if anything, he makes people's head hurt with his yap. That would make him useless - unless you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-10-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #73
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
I'm probably the most conservative person on this forum. Mainly due to my age and life experiences. As we age, our views tend to skew more toward the right of center. There are notable exceptions, but that's how it generally works.

As to the discussion on food assistance, food stamps, WIC etc., I think that making these programs work using a card with monetary value was a mistake. What would have worked toward the intended outcome would have been could have been a system to identify the user with a card that would deduct a percentage of their food purchases and the merchant receiving reimbursement for the reduced charges.

I have absolutely no problem with giving assistance to those who have a real need. Example would be recipients in areas with high unemployment opportunities. This could be mitigated by tying the benefits to the unemployment agencies. Those needing the benefit would be required to actually make application to prospective employers at a set number of applications per week, and provide proof of the applications made. In short, if one is unwilling to actively look for a job, then no assistance provided.

If the recipients are physically or mentally unable to work, or to seek employment then this requirement would be waived until their situation changes. Yes, there could still be those who would attempt to beat the system.

I do have a problem with generational Welfare. There must be a system put in place to break this cycle of abuse. If it becomes difficult to access these services then perhaps the prospect of a better life would cause them to change.

I don't claim to have all the answers, but it is painfully obvious that the current system is not working as intended. In my part of the country, unemployment is fairly high. This is mainly due to the stoppage of building that happened in 2009. On the other side of the coin, there are several employers who constantly try to hire new employees, but are unable to fill their needs due to the applicants inability to pass a drug test.

Life choices can be hard, but then again life is hard. It's harder if one is stupid.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity

Last edited by Stickbuilder; 02-10-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #74
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
I'm probably the most conservative person on this forum. Mainly due to my age and life experiences. As we age, our views tend to skew more toward the right of center. There are notable exceptions, but that's how it generally works.

rdsesq is the exception I take it?
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #75
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with giving assistance to those who have a real need. Example would be recipients in areas with high unemployment opportunities. This could be mitigated by tying the benefits to the unemployment agencies. Those needing the benefit would be required to actually make application to prospective employers at a set number of applications per week, and provide proof of the applications made. In short, if one is unwilling to actively look for a job, then no assistance provided.
That's how unemployment assistance already works in Florida. Finding five new jobs to apply for every week is not very easy.

Quote:
I do have a problem with generational Welfare. There must be a system put in place to break this cycle of abuse. If it becomes difficult to access these services then perhaps the prospect of a better life would cause them to change.
Interesting that you call it "abuse". You aren't advocating a prospect of a better life as a motivator, but that of a worse life.

Quote:
You've already made some claims on here about how things have gotten worse and the government is taking more than ever, etc, and you pretty much had no choice but to become more conservative, but you never elaborated on that or backed up any of your claims.

I'll try again:

Can we clarify some things?

Quote:
I've been paying taxes since before most here were born, and the conditions are becoming worse and worse. Obviously what the give away programs are attempting are not working. All that has been accomplished is to form a class of people who are willing to exist while doing nothing to improve the future for their offspring, giving rise to generational welfare.

Me, I'm going to be 70 in July.
Things are not getting worse:

Poverty has been declining. During times when employment is available, people work. So that means they are not inherently lazy or waiting for handouts. When work is available, people work. And programs help when work is not available. As for taxes, I hope no one minds me posting this again, since this page got overtaken by bickering about who's racist and who's not rather than addressing the facts.

The growth in spending during the War on Poverty is quite dramatic, as one would expect, but then it levels out. Even during the Reagan years there don't seem to be any real cuts. None of this screams out any kind of oppressive money-grabbing regime change in recent years as some would have us think.

Quote:
How else can one see it? I do my best to help, but still the Government wants more. At what point do we draw the line?
Historically speaking, is the federal government asking noticeably more now than at any other point during the time you've been paying taxes?

Are we doing bad compared to other countries? Not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
We've been over this multiple times and I've posted this link every time.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=456
Indeed, you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
All these "historically..." statements are kinda bs since we all know when the marginal rate was crazy high like 90% no one actually paid 90%. I don't make anywhere near 250k and my taxes did not go down with Obama.
Quote:
All of the data in that link is based upon average rates, not the bracket.
Quote:
Then show me the analysis from Heritage. I would love to see it.

Here's another look at the various quintiles. Yes, it's only through 2009, but there's often a lag in reporting, as I'm sure you would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
However, for those who do pay Federal income tax that is not the case and Federal revenue as a percentage of GDP is not at or near record lows.

Swallow less, think more.
And again.
Quote:
Quote:
tax rates =/= how much you pay in taxes

I'm sure you knew that, because you usually so informed

http://almostclassical.blogspot.com/...rate-myth.html

But I'm sure you knew that, since we've had this discussion enough times.
And again:
Quote:
Quote:
your argument is also faulty because you are a su Ming that the federal income tax is the only text bernard people haveyou are leaving out school taxes gas taxes sales taxes property taxes and capital gains taxes most of which are at historic Highs
Capital gains are not anywhere near historic highs even WITH the increase to 20% and the 3.8% surtax.

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxfa....cfm?Docid=161

All of the rest are state/city/municipality based taxes so they have no basis in a federal discussion. In any event, you are the one who brought up the above article about 90% tax rates, so try to keep on the same topic.

Oh, and on top of that, the average state and local tax burden is lower now (9.9%) than it was in 1977 (10.3%).

http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...year-1977-2010
What exactly is getting worse? The government doesn't appear to be taking any more (it appears it's taking less) of your money than before.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #76
MDydinanM

/\

That's funny. When I was in my early 20s I was conservative. As I got older, was overseas, and furthered my education, I became more pragmatic and my views become more moderate and center.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #77
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
There is more than one.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #78
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
There is more than one.
How about you address the one you used as an example, namely the taxes being higher?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #79
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
/\

That's funny. When I was in my early 20s I was conservative. As I got older, was overseas, and furthered my education, I became more pragmatic and my views become more moderate and center.

I was the same. I look back and laugh when I realize how wrong I was.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #80
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
I was the same. I look back and laugh when I realize how wrong I was.
Well at least I don't have an online record of my views at that age that I can look back at and say WTF unlike someone we know....

hint: he's puffy and white.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-10-2014 at 08:19 AM.