E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Minnesota is full of Communists

Who the hell does this Democrat think he is? Stalin?

Quote:
Minnesota Governor Calls For $3.5 Million So That All Students Can Have A Hot Lunch

Author: Wes Williams February 12, 2014 2:16 pm

In recent weeks, the news has been full of stories about children who have been denied a hot lunch at school because they can’t pay for it. Now, at least one person in a position to do something is stepping forward.

Minnesota governor Mark Dayton (D) declared on February 11:
"No child in Minnesota should be denied a healthy lunch. We cannot expect our students to succeed on an empty stomach. I look forward to working with the Legislature to make this issue a priority in the upcoming legislative session."

No money, no hot lunch in many Minnesota schools.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune says that many Minnesota school districts deny a hot lunch to students whose school lunch accounts have a zero balance. A recent report issued by Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid finds that many school districts in the state throw away a student’s hot lunch if he or she cannot pay for it. A similar story out of Utah sparked national outrage.

Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid surveyed about 97 percent of Minnesota school districts. The report says that a little over half of the districts offer an alternative to a hot lunch, such as a cheese or peanut butter sandwich. Shockingly, 15 percent of the districts surveyed offer students who cannot pay no lunch at all!

Minnesota education commissioner Brenda Cassellius says, “When you have child poverty on the rise, you know that parents are struggling working two jobs to make it, we need solutions.” Cassellius appealed to Minnesota school districts this week, asking them to take whatever steps are required to provide a hot lunch to every student.

Governor Dayton will propose money to provide every student a hot lunch.

In his statement yesterday, Governor Dayton said that he will include $3.5 million in his supplemental budget request in order to guarantee that all Minnesota students will be able to receive a hot lunch. According to the Star Tribune story, most members of the state legislature support the move.

For their part, some Minnesota school districts are responding to the governor by making policy changes. St. Francis School District has stopped the practice of taking hot lunch trays from students without money. Interim superintendent Troy Ferguson says that the policy is rarely enforced. According to Ferguson, the policy has only been applied to high school students who are not on the reduced price lunch program.

Osseo School District spokesperson Barb Olson claims the district’s policy was misinterpreted. Olson says that when a student’s account runs out of money, the district provides a sandwich, fruit, and milk in place of a hot lunch for at least three days. Olson tells the Star Tribune “We want to reassure *people we do not deny children lunch.” However, the report comments that Olson was unable to explain why those students are not given a hot lunch.

About 62,000 students in Minnesota are on the state’s reduced price lunch plan. The plan requires that each student pay a 40 cent per meal co-pay. That adds up to a two dollar per child per week expense. Sadly, many families cannot afford even that amount.

Republicans whine about Democrats wanting to spend money to feed children.

Last year, Republicans in the Minnesota House included funding for school lunch in the state’s education bill. But in typical GOP fashion, they paid for the measure by removing funding for school anti-bullying “climate centers.” The amendment’s sponsor, Rep. Joe McDonald, said in a statement

"It disappoints me that House Democrats chose special interests and partisan politics over children. I offered an amendment last year on the House floor that would have provided funding to ensure low-income children are not turned away from the lunch table for lack of payment. My amendment would have utilized funding from more bureaucracy — including a new climate center — to help ensure our students don’t go without a school lunch. Unfortunately, Democrats stood on the side of spending more taxpayer dollars in a government agency instead of taking the opportunity to *support our children."

McDonald doesn’t mention that Minnesota is projected to have a $1 billion surplus for the rest of the budget cycle. The $3.5 million that Governor Dayton will ask for certainly won’t break the bank.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
"No child in Minnesota should be denied a healthy lunch"
school lunches are healthy?

Last edited by MDydinanM; 02-13-2014 at 10:12 AM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Well, it's a start. How much for a warm coat for every student? Maybe some wool socks and Air Jordans too? Why do the communists in Minnesota not want to take care of every need for every child, paid for of course, by the taxpayers? Those commies are heartless!
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Food is a good start. They'll have to choose their battles for the children wisely, because they'll have to fight the republicans every step of the way.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 02-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Give them meals based on grades

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Give them meals based on grades
I say they should run the lunch hour like The Hunger Games

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I say they should run the lunch hour like The Hunger Games
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Disgusting
Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
travisn

My Ride: 01 325i
I remember back in HS if your parents were poor enough you could get free lunch. They had it in the computer so when you scanned your ID to pay of your debit account no one would know if you were paying or not.
travisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisn View Post
I remember back in HS if your parents were poor enough you could get free lunch. They had it in the computer so when you scanned your ID to pay of your debit account no one would know if you were paying or not.
Most states still have a free / reduced meal program for qualifying students. The article posted doesn't represent most of the USA.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
maybe they should provide free lunches to everyone..........and just make it a part of the school budget.

raise the real estate tax by a penny and be done with the issue.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
The state elected Michele Bachmann... They should be kicked out of the union anyway... Rather a hot lunch than a hot mess.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #13
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
The state elected Michele Bachmann... They should be kicked out of the union anyway... Rather a hot lunch than a hot mess.
^

you are from Maryland........ how popular is the idea of those counties in western Maryland seceding and forming their own state ?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
VA is just a few hours south...although this state is largely swinging Democratic these days.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Libtards gonna tard....

Quote:
that many Minnesota school districts deny a hot lunch to students whose school lunch accounts have a zero balance.
So the school only provides hot lunches for students that can pay for it...because you know...why is anyone going to pay for a hot lunch when you can just get it for free. Stop paying your mortgages, I mean, why pay for anything. Is it fair for those students that ARE paying for it? Either provide free lunch to all the kids, or follow the rules..if you are going to make people pay, then you only provide lunch for those that pay. If parents can't afford to keep their kids' account in check, then be a god damn parent and pack your child a lunch. Sh!t ain't rocket science.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 02-14-2014 at 10:10 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Libtards gonna tard....

So the school only provides hot lunches for students that can pay for it...because you know...why is anyone going to pay for a hot lunch when you can just get it for free. Stop paying your mortgages, I mean, why pay for anything. Is it fair for those students that ARE paying for it?
They're kids....should they be punished because their parents can't afford to give them money?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 02-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
They're kids....should they be punished because their parents can't afford to give them money?
Fvcking right. It is the consequence of them not being born to a better off family. Choose better next time around.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I edited my post above...but I'll repeat. I honestly don't know how much a lunch is in a public school these days, but lets assume it really is an amount that is too high for some...fair enough....guess what? Pack your child a god damn lunch. Are you telling me that parents send their kids to school without a lunch, without money to buy lunch, hoping that they would get a free lunch? If that's the case, a $1000 fine, and a week in jail might knock some damn sense into them. Nothing wrong with packing your kid a turkey and swiss sandwich for lunch.

I ask again...are you implying that the kids that ARE paying for lunch don't have struggling parents? Is it fair for them to have to pay while their buddy mooches for free? Like I said, either provide free lunch (charge some more property taxes, fire a few teachers, whatever) or do it by the book....lunch costs X amount and only those that pay can have it. Really poor parents should be able to apply for a discounted price if they qualify. Poor/rich parents can opt out completely and pack their kids their own lunches.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Fvcking right. It is the consequence of them not being born to a better off family. Choose better next time around.
Again, are you implying that the kids that ARE paying for these lunches are not from poor families?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
evolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I edited my post above...but I'll repeat. I honestly don't know how much a lunch is in a public school these days, but lets assume it really is an amount that is too high for some...fair enough....guess what? Pack your child a god damn lunch. Are you telling me that parents send their kids to school without a lunch, without money to buy lunch, hoping that they would get a free lunch?
I get what you're saying, but punishing a child for the actions of a parent doesn't sound like the correct thing to do.

Quote:
If that's the case, a $1000 fine, and a week in jail might knock some damn sense into them. Nothing wrong with packing your kid a turkey and swiss sandwich for lunch.
In Soviet Russia.......

Quote:
I ask again...are you implying that the kids that ARE paying for lunch don't have struggling parents? Is it fair for them to have to pay while their buddy mooches for free? Like I said, either provide free lunch (charge some more property taxes, fire a few teachers, whatever) or do it by the book....lunch costs X amount and only those that pay can have it. Really poor parents should be able to apply for a discounted price if they qualify. Poor/rich parents can opt out completely and pack their kids their own lunches.
No where did I imply anything of that nature. Again, all I'm saying is that punishing a child for the actions of an adult is not the right thing to do.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig