E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Serving on a city committee/commission or part of a council. Any experiences?

Anyone here ever served on a city committee/commission or was part of a council? What was the appointment process like? Were you appointed to a committee that was of great interest to you? Did you see changes in the community by the result of the committee's discussions? How receptive was the city council to ideas/suggestions for improvements within the community?
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
I was on a County Commission. The committee appointments were based on seniority. The choice plums went to those who had been there longer. New Commissioners got things like Parks and Recreation and Public Safety. After your second term, you might get to Ways and Means, or Budget. As expected, **** does run downhill.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
I was on a County Commission. The committee appointments were based on seniority. The choice plums went to those who had been there longer. New Commissioners got things like Parks and Recreation and Public Safety. After your second term, you might get to Ways and Means, or Budget. As expected, **** does run downhill.

How did you like it? What was the average age of board members if you had to guess? Any conflicts of meetings with your schedule/work?
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
Old 02-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
I served on a neighborhood community council in St. Paul MN. I was voted onto the board of directors, which was pretty simple since there was not much interest in the position as it was strictly volunteer work. It was an interesting experience but to be honest, we didn't really have the authority to get much done, other than code violations and variance decisions.

We did make some positive changes and I certainly do not regret doing it.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
I served on a neighborhood community council in St. Paul MN. I was voted onto the board of directors, which was pretty simple since there was not much interest in the position as it was strictly volunteer work. It was an interesting experience but to be honest, we didn't really have the authority to get much done, other than code violations and variance decisions.

We did make some positive changes and I certainly do not regret doing it.
I was surprised that a lot of the board positions offer compensation for the meetings. At least in my city.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
How did you like it? What was the average age of board members if you had to guess? Any conflicts of meetings with your schedule/work?

It was eye opening. Every department has to be funded, and the department heads always have their hands out. Meetings were evening affairs, and we were compensated for our time. Over 5k per year. Median age was around 55 years of age. I would consider doing it again. Biggest waste of time were spent dealing with the petty BS from HOA groups wanting to amend their covenants.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote