E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #21
bubela

My Ride: turbo ti / 325xit
It is definitely the same car, that's funny. I just did a search and even commented in the sale thread. Glad I got it! Would have actually preferred it bagged.

bubela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #22
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
I'm very excited to see this happen. It's a very difficult task but you don't seem too worried.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #23
bubela

What's so difficult about it? I have a lift and a GT1 and time. haha (Later, I'll be wanting to kill myself for typing that)

Though there has already been the first hiccup. The old guy that was going to make the pan for me, had a heart attack. He's not dead, and still plans to finish the pan! He's daughter called me up the day after the attack to tell me all this. Nutty!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #24
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Well it may not be hard for you but this would be a nightmare for most of us, including me. If I ever decide to get this done, I know who to contact.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #25
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
I can't wait to see how this turns out. You've definitely got an up hill battle with the diff,subframe, and oil pan all crammed in there. I'd be happy with a 3.0 in my xiT, but I admire your ambition and will live vicariously through your hard work! Good luck!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
bubela

I can't wait either. This is just stage one of (hopefully) three

Am I overlooking something with the subframe? Will I need to modify it? Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm terrible with research. I kinda just go at things with an ax and hammer. The bigger, the better.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubela View Post
I can't wait either. This is just stage one of (hopefully) three

Am I overlooking something with the subframe? Will I need to modify it? Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm terrible with research. I kinda just go at things with an ax and hammer. The bigger, the better.
I'm just saying the subframe and everything is all crammed in so tightly that it seems like quite a feat to put a differently shaped engine in. That said, I believe the xi and M3 actually share the same mounts, so maybe it's more plug and play than I think.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Xi wagons have a very low rate of subframe failure but with all the extra power it would be a great idea to reinforce it.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #29
bubela

My plan is to put everything in, as stock as possible. (transmission, driveshafts, axle shafts, differential, etc) If/when/as things break, I will upgrade them however possible. I'll see where the weak points are as they come. I'm not saying your suggestion to reinforce is a bad idea, I just don't know exactly where. It wouldn't be that hard to drop the subframe and fix it at a later date anyway. Or better yet, reinforce one on the shelf that has yet to be destroyed! Then swap it in.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #30
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ Are you planning to put an M3 rear end in the car? If so, you'll have to get a custom front diff made up because the gear ratios won't match.

You may or may not need new driveshafts since I'm not sure of the length difference of the S54 vs M54. If the M engine is longer, the tranny will sit further back and therefore shorten the rear drive shaft and lengthen the front. This all depends on if the motor mounts compensate for that length difference too.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #31
bubela

I was not planning on swapping the M rear in, no. (for the above stated reason!)

Plan is to get the S54 in as easily as possible. Then go from there as needed.

I hadn't thought about the lengths being different.. but I doubt they are. I'll see if I can get a measurement here.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #32
SicStang03

My Ride: e46 325xiT/6 & 325ci
OH NICE! I have plans for an S54 in my 6-speed xit also. Let me know how it goes. I will be following your lead haha.There is a good write-up for the 6-speed swap from the guy that did my car. He didn't seem to have many issues at all.
SicStang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #33
zfrog

My Ride: M3
I hopefully will have an s54 in my 02 325i rwd.. Seems much easier, but still difficult..

Once you know how to do it, will you offer this as a service for us?
zfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
bubela

I'm not trying to be condescending, but what do people view as difficult with this swap? SicStang03, would you mind directing me to the thread please? Wouldn't hurt to see what's involved.

I'm actually adding a lift in my shop so I can occupy it for an extended period of time without upsetting the normal daily routine. Then afterwards, have a lift for any project like this. That said; we are not a service shop. Strictly salvage. I do not plan on offering this service, no. Though if someone makes me an offer I can not refuse..

Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #35
SicStang03

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubela View Post
I'm not trying to be condescending, but what do people view as difficult with this swap? SicStang03, would you mind directing me to the thread please? Wouldn't hurt to see what's involved.

I'm actually adding a lift in my shop so I can occupy it for an extended period of time without upsetting the normal daily routine. Then afterwards, have a lift for any project like this. That said; we are not a service shop. Strictly salvage. I do not plan on offering this service, no. Though if someone makes me an offer I can not refuse..

I'm sure the rwd swap would be easier. I just don't know what all is involved with awd.

Manual swap threads that might help:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=396320

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...320&highlight=

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/IveG...?sort=3&page=1

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=396320

Reverse light info
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=901286
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659314

6 speed swap from 2003+ 330xi (running factory 3.46 diffs):
6 speed is from a late model e46 330xi. Reasoning is that I can keep my shorter automatic diffs yet still cruise on the highway at low RPMS.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...342&highlight=

cliff notes:
Finally found a good deal on a used 03+ 330xi 6 speed transmission. At the moment I'm gathering parts for the swap, I'll update this thread with developments as they happen.

Parts:
-2003+ 330xi 6 speed Transmission
-6 speed JB Racing LTW Flywheel
-330xi Clutch Kit (I picked up a NIB ZHP Clutch - It doesn't share the same part number as the 330xi but from my research they are virtually identical)
-330xi Clutch release fork, clip and bushing (I like to replace these when I do a clutch)
-325xi Rear Main Seal (again just some PM)
-330xi Complete shifter linkage assembly (I got this all from the dealer with a z4 3.0 shifter, as I don't like how tall xi shifts sit- might need some modification to fit properly)
-Pedals and Hydraulics (I picked all this up used locally off a 01 325i as it isn't XI specific)
-Also picked up a nice illuminated 6 speed m3 shift boot/knob combo

The meeting (my pretty southern transfer case & and the dirty northern 6 speed box (probably says words like pop and whatever northerners say- lol))
The idea was my transfer case is early model and nobody was sure whether it would bolt up to the late model 6 speed box)

Ran into a couple of issues:
1. had to remove this little guy (metal grommet from my transfer case (Just yanked it out with a pair of visgrips.)
2. My factory bolts where 1/2" too long (I'll see if I can get some shorter ones ordered up or find some decent tensil strength bolts with the same shoulder at my local bolt supply)
3. the bracket that the shifter bushing snaps into is completely MIA on my car (PN is 41128246251). Had to get it welded on.
4. At this point I could start messing with my z4 3.0 shifter. The shifter sat way too far forward, to the right and hit the transfer case, so I bent the linkage arm about as much as I felt comfortable and then I modified the shifter to straighten out the location of "neutral"

Next step was to see if my z4 3.0 (shorter overall height and throw than OEM) shifter would fit.. and the answer is probably not. I'll try bending the selector arm a bit, but will maybe have to go to a z4 2.5 shifter ( i don't like how tall OE xi shifters are)

Solid flywheels usually come with a sprung clutch disc to reduce vibrations and gear chatter.
You are running a solid clutch disk with a solid flywheel? This combo might rattle like crazy, but its just an assumption.

what will you be doing for the software, removing the TCU, etc? gonna recode the car.
I spent a few hours building a progman/sss machine. swap is done, car drives very nicely. gonna code the car today now that I got a sa code decoder. that was a good bit of work to just be able to uncheck one box. Got the car recoded, the DME programmed, and what a difference. before the recode/program the car was sluggish and drove like a pig (maybe the egs was pulling timing, idk) I gotta say I'm VERY happy with how the swap turned out.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #36
zfrog

My Ride: M3
Are you keeping the E46 cluster? or having an e46 m3 cluster?

The ecu/programming for everything to work... that is what's difficult for the s54 swaps. Bolting everything in is just like any other BMW motor swap (speaking for RWD).

The s54 rwd has been done, I just never looked at what it actually involves..
zfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #37
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrog View Post
Are you keeping the E46 cluster? or having an e46 m3 cluster?

The ecu/programming for everything to work... that is what's difficult for the s54 swaps. Bolting everything in is just like any other BMW motor swap (speaking for RWD).

The s54 rwd has been done, I just never looked at what it actually involves..
I'm pretty sure that the swap requires the M3 cluster in addition to the ECU and Motor. You'd probably need the M3 wiring harness as well. This is what I've heard from people who have participated in this kind of swap before.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #38
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
The biggest issue I forsee you having is the communication between the Xi traction control system to the M3 ECU/DME. The Xi is different in that it's a 4 channel system instead of a two and also is used as an electronic LSD system unlike the RWD models. There are probably other Xi related software issues you'll run into but this is the biggest one.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #39
SicStang03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
The biggest issue I forsee you having is the communication between the Xi traction control system to the M3 ECU/DME. The Xi is different in that it's a 4 channel system instead of a two and also is used as an electronic LSD system unlike the RWD models. There are probably other Xi related software issues you'll run into but this is the biggest one.
Doesn't the ABS/DSC have it's own module outside of the ECU/DME?

I have read the other s54 swapped awd threads and it's crazy how much of a lack of information there is in them. So many unanswered questions, which is why I'm anxious for this thread to build
Old 03-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #40
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicStang03 View Post
Doesn't the ABS/DSC have it's own module outside of the ECU/DME?

I have read the other s54 swapped awd threads and it's crazy how much of a lack of information there is in them. So many unanswered questions, which is why I'm anxious for this thread to build
I agree. I don't see why the DSC module would be anywhere near his biggest problem. It's just going to do it's thing and occasionally ask the engine to cut throttle, which I assume is done in a very standard way regardless of which BMW ECU is running. I guess all we can do is wait and see….