E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #21
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
So the 21-15-9, I do 21 reps, 15 reps, then 9 of each exercise?
yes

21 lunges
21 push ups

DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #22
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Also for push-ups, have you ever done them on KBs like this? They are an awesome core workout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	547074  
Old 02-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #23
bgsmith

Ok I might do this today, incorporating some stuff I wanted to do into your suggestions.

Squats 3x5 at 225 lbs
Press 3x5 at 115 maybe 135 lbs
BB Thrusters 3x5 at 75 lbs

21-15-9
45 lbs plate OH lunges
KB push-ups

Tabata KB swings
Old 02-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #24
DylloS

Quote:
Also for push-ups, have you ever done them on KBs like this? They are an awesome core workout.
never

Quote:
Ok I might do this today, incorporating some stuff I wanted to do into your suggestions.

Squats 3x5 at 225 lbs
Press 3x5 at 115 maybe 135 lbs
BB Thrusters 3x5 at 75 lbs

21-15-9
45 lbs plate OH lunges
KB push-ups

Tabata KB swings
A few suggestions. Go close to your 5rep max so you can increase when you do it again in the week. Those thrusters are super light, you want to go high rep if they're light.

The 21-15-9 wod will kick your ass and if you do it on kb's you may fall off lol. Do hand release or just chest to the ground.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #25
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
never

A few suggestions. Go close to your 5rep max so you can increase when you do it again in the week. Those thrusters are super light, you want to go high rep if they're light.

The 21-15-9 wod will kick your ass and if you do it on kb's you may fall off lol. Do hand release or just chest to the ground.
I was going to start with that weight for thrusters as I've only done them once before, will most likely up the weight as I go. I did the KB push-ups this weekend and easily did 15, I'm going to try them today to see how it goes.

This is all new to me so I figure I'll use my first week to figure out what I'm capable of.

I'm also going to start with 225 on squats as I want to go as deep as possible with them.

Last edited by bgsmith; 02-18-2014 at 02:32 PM.
bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #26
DylloS

Quote:
I was going to start with that weight for thrusters as I've only done them once before, will most likely up the weight as I go. I did the KB push-ups this weekend and easily did 15, I'm going to try them today to see how it goes.

This is all new to me so I figure I'll use my first week to figure out what I'm capable of.
The weight is fine. The reps are too low to get the "thruster" feel. But it's fine if you just want to see if what you can do. They are terrible.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #27
bgsmith

What's for tomorrow? Today almost killed me

Starting crossfit style workouts today as preparation for the CMC

2/18/14

Squats 3x5 at 225 lbs
Press 1x5x115 lbs
Press 3x5t 135 lb
BB Thrusters 3x8 at 95 lbs

21-15-9
45 lbs plate OH lunges
KB push-ups

Tabata KB swings 20 kg
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #28
bgsmith

Thinking something like this for tomorrow

3x5 Dead lifts 315 lbs
3x5 front squats 205 lbs
3x5 power cleans, light weight to work on form maybe 95 lbs

Box jumps
Burpees
Assisted pull ups

Tabata jump rope
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #29
DylloS

Quote:
Thinking something like this for tomorrow

3x5 Dead lifts 315 lbs
3x5 front squats 205 lbs
3x5 power cleans, light weight to work on form maybe 95 lbs

Box jumps
Burpees
Assisted pull ups

Tabata jump rope
you're all over the place. Here's how I program

Heavy lifts

accessory lifts

Metcons

I would do

Deadlifts
Not front squats because you squatted yesterday
Pull ups 50 or so total
Practice Power cleans, 95 will almost be too light to even get the feeling. My suggestion is do hang power cleans. Learn from the top down. Don't worry about a set amount. Just practice and try to get the form down. Text me if you're doing it and need help.

Metcon
6 rounds
5 225lb deadlifts or (7 115lb hang power cleans if you feel comfortable)
10 burpee box jumps

Your form is good enough on the deads to do them in a metcon. And it's kind of light.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-19-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
bgsmith

Quote:
you're all over the place. Here's how I program

Heavy lifts

accessory lifts

Metcons

I would do

Deadlifts
Not front squats because you squatted yesterday
Pull ups 50 or so total
Practice Power cleans, 95 will almost be too light to even get the feeling. My suggestion is do hang power cleans. Learn from the top down.

Metcon
6 rounds
5 225lb deadlifts or (7 115lb hang power cleans if you feel comfortable)
10 burpee box jumps

Your form is good enough on the deads to do them in a metcon. And it's kind of light.
Ok this is probably a dumb question but I should do deadlifts, then also include them in my METCON?

And thanks for the input, I have no idea how to plan this type of programming.

Also I'm pretty proficient with hang cleans so I wanted to start practicing from the ground up.

Last edited by bgsmith; 02-19-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #31
DylloS

Quote:
Ok this is probably a dumb question but I should do deadlifts, then also include them in my METCON?

And thanks for the input, I have no idea how to plan this type of programming.

Also I'm pretty proficient with hang cleans so I wanted to start practicing from the ground up.
yes that is perfectly normal to do a heavy dead then a lighter one in a metcon. I like doing stuff like that or relating to it like a power clean. I wouldn't suggest those yet in a metcon because they are more complex.

All the metcons I plan are like a lighter faster cousin of the heavy lifts

if I program squats I may have a metcon with front squats, lunges or something to hit legs too.

Press day may have something like push presses, hand stand push ups etc.

You can talk to 10 people and get 10 different programming methodologies but I borrow from a few people. Justin Lascek a S&
S&C guy and creator of 70sbig.com, and John Welbourne creator of CrossFit Football. IMO if you do a heavy lift and then a metcon with something unrelated you will have too much over lap. You may see a lot of CF boxes program like that because most people aren't there on the same days and it gives a lot of variety, but because this is your program and you know what will be going down on a given day, you can do it just like CFFB does. I have some people that come m-w and sat, some w-f, some sporadically etc. I can't have too much of a set program for these people because if they can't get there tuesday they will never deadlift.

btw my traps are on fire today. Deads plus 100 swings with 70lbs got me good. Any time you need suggestions let me know. I love creating these things and it forces me to come up with even more programming ideas. I feel like an artist of fitness lol.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #32
bgsmith

Quote:
yes that is perfectly normal to do a heavy dead then a lighter one in a metcon. I like doing stuff like that or relating to it like a power clean. I wouldn't suggest those yet in a metcon because they are more complex.

All the metcons I plan are like a lighter faster cousin of the heavy lifts

if I program squats I may have a metcon with front squats, lunges or something to hit legs too.

Press day may have something like push presses, hand stand push ups etc.

You can talk to 10 people and get 10 different programming methodologies but I borrow from a few people. Justin Lascek a S&
S&C guy and creator of 70sbig.com, and John Welbourne creator of CrossFit Football. IMO if you do a heavy lift and then a metcon with something unrelated you will have too much over lap. You may see a lot of CF boxes program like that because most people aren't there on the same days and it gives a lot of variety, but because this is your program and you know what will be going down on a given day, you can do it just like CFFB does. I have some people that come m-w and sat, some w-f, some sporadically etc. I can't have too much of a set program for these people because if they can't get there tuesday they will never deadlift.

btw my traps are on fire today. Deads plus 100 swings with 70lbs got me good. Any time you need suggestions let me know. I love creating these things and it forces me to come up with even more programming ideas. I feel like an artist of fitness lol.
I truly appreciate it, and I like the idea of a heavy lift then lighter lifts of the same movement in the METCON, will help me maintain strength but will work on my muscle stamina.

Now in regards to performing the METCON is it just 5 sets of DLs then box jump burpees, or do I mix it up, or does it not matter.

I'm hoping to set up 5 good routines and stick with them, adding some tabata stuff at the end of each.

As far as power cleans are concerned I may just practice these after my workout, I want to learn them as I might use them in the CMC if I go Delta class.

Last edited by bgsmith; 02-19-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #33
DylloS

Quote:
I truly appreciate it, and I like the idea of a heavy lift then lighter lifts of the same movement in the METCON, will help me maintain strength but will work on my muscle stamina.

Now in regards to performing the METCON is it just 5 sets of DLs then box jump burpees, or do I mix it up, or does it not matter.

I'm hoping to set up 5 good routines and stick with them, adding some tabata stuff at the end of each.

As far as power cleans are concerned I may just practice these after my workout, I want to learn them as I might use them in the CMC if I go Delta class.

Anytime you see anything like 5 rounds and 2 or 3 movements it means do them after another then start back at the top

so 5 reps dead, burpee box jumps, 5 dead, burpee box jump. This is why globo gyms don't like CF style stuff. Someone may try to grab your bar when you're hopping on the box.

This would be called a couplet. There are triplets, 21-15-9, amraps etc. So many different ways to mix things up. I would stick with the heavy lifts and accessory then switch up the metcons each time. You'll still hit all the same muscles most of the time but start using different energy systems and adapt better to unfamiliar circumstances. If you do the same 5 for 10 weeks you'll get used to those and may suffer when other stuff comes up. I think you will do fine though and i'll help you along the way. I think I know what you're capable of doing. Some things will be hell, some will be easier than you expect but it will all have purpose.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #34
bgsmith

Thoughts on this for tomorrow's workout? I have no idea what I'm doing.....

3x5 front squats at 205 lbs
3x5 power cleans at 115 lbs

Metcon
5 rounds of weighted one legged bench squats (5 reps each leg)
10 box jumps

50 burpees for time
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #35
DylloS

Quote:
Thoughts on this for tomorrow's workout? I have no idea what I'm doing.....

3x5 front squats at 205 lbs
3x5 power cleans at 115 lbs

Metcon
5 rounds of weighted one legged bench squats (5 reps each leg)
10 box jumps

50 burpees for time
If you feel up to it then def hit the muscles again. I was going to suggest just a cardio based metcon but if you want to lift that's cool too.

This may kick the crap out of you so take off Friday or just do a row or something

3x5 Front Squats. Using clean grip yet?
5x3 Power Clean and Press Most people recommend 5x3 on PC because form starts to break down and technique is #1

25 105lb Push Press for time. Nice quick burner. Make sure on all presses you get head through the hole. Full extension at the top. If someone was on the side of you they'd see your ears. Kind of like the American KB swings.

Metcon
Can you explain the 1 legged squats?
Cool down on the box jumps. Awesome workout but people rupture the Achilles by doing too much. Especially the jump down and bounce up.

So I would do something like this

7 min amrap
5-7 reps Heavy/moderate leg movement
15 american KB Swings
10 Sit ups

Last edited by DylloS; 02-20-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #36
bgsmith

Quote:
If you feel up to it then def hit the muscles again. I was going to suggest just a cardio based metcon but if you want to lift that's cool too.

This may kick the crap out of you so take off Friday or just do a row or something

3x5 Front Squats. Using clean grip yet?
5x3 Power Clean and Press Most people recommend 5x3 on PC because form starts to break down and technique is #1

25 105lb Push Press for time. Nice quick burner. Make sure on all presses you get head through the hole. Full extension at the top. If someone was on the side of you they'd see your ears. Kind of like the American KB swings.

Metcon
Can you explain the 1 legged squats?
Cool down on the box jumps. Awesome workout but people rupture the Achilles by doing too much. Especially the jump down and bounce up.

So I would do something like this

7 min amrap
5-7 reps Heavy/moderate leg movement
15 american KB Swings
10 Sit ups
Thanks again, I'll piece something together out of this.

For the one legged squat one leg is up on a bench or box behind you, top of the foot down, the other leg is on the ground and a squat is performed. I did these with my sisters boyfriend (who is nuts and just signed up for the crossfit games) last weekend, see below.

For box jumps I'll hold off but I don't jump down, I was told to step down for the reasons you stated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	547236  
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
DylloS

Quote:
Thanks again, I'll piece something together out of this.

For the one legged squat one leg is up on a bench or box behind you, top of the foot down, the other leg is on the ground and a squat is performed. I did these with my sisters boyfriend (who is nuts and just signed up for the crossfit games) last weekend, see below.

For box jumps I'll hold off but I don't jump down, I was told to step down for the reasons you stated.
Yea he registered for the Open. Really cool how that works. Literally anyone in the world can do it and if they're good enough they can win.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #38
bgsmith

Quote:
Yea he registered for the Open. Really cool how that works. Literally anyone in the world can do it and if they're good enough they can win.
It is pretty cool the way they do it, I think if he really worked at it he could do awesome, guy is a beast, only about 5'7" but weighs about 215-220, working out with him this last weekend was an eye opener, the stuff he was doing just messing around was pretty impressive.

He just got rings at his gym, and the **** he was doing was nuts.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #39
DylloS

Quote:
It is pretty cool the way they do it, I think if he really worked at it he could do awesome, guy is a beast, only about 5'7" but weighs about 215-220, working out with him this last weekend was an eye opener, the stuff he was doing just messing around was pretty impressive.

He just got rings at his gym, and the **** he was doing was nuts.
Most of the top guys are shorter. Like 5'7-5'10 180-200lbs. I'll keep track of what he's going when the open starts. Is he in the north east region?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #40
bgsmith

Quote:
Most of the top guys are shorter. Like 5'7-5'10 180-200lbs. I'll keep track of what he's going when the open starts. Is he in the north east region?
Yeah he has the prototypical crossfit athlete body, plus he is former special forces with a lot of combat time under his belt so none of this stuff even fazes him mentally, the guy finished a marathon after tearing his meniscus a few miles in. He is in NY so yeah he would be in the North East region.

Last edited by bgsmith; 02-20-2014 at 10:41 AM.