E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Boondockz

My Ride: 1999 323i
Thumbs down Simple shark injection question.

UPDATE- still looking for an answer one way or the other.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great posts and answers.

I have searched to try to figure this, my question is 'is there a way to find out if my car is shark injected'.

I have a 323i '99 recently purchased, and after reading how slow they are I have been shocked by its acceleration a few times now.

[EDIT] example deleted.

It came installed with a dinan cai and a short shift kit. The previous owner did not know much about the past history. I have called dinan and they had no record of dinan software on my vin. There is a bav auto DISA installed also, so someone easily could have shark injected it as a DIY. (Dinan also had no record of my CAI so that was also a DIY.)

Strange question I know, but i don't want to buy some firmware that is already running. Thanks.

Last edited by Boondockz; 02-20-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: people are distracted by a burnout, im actually asking a question
Boondockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Boondockz

Lol and to save time, I know I could just bounce the rev limit, I think the shark injector adds 500 rpm up top, but I'm not really ready to see if anything wants to let go.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
Sounds like you've just got shitty tires.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Yeah, if you're lighting up the tires in 2nd let alone 3rd in a 323i you've either got a supercharger you neglected to mention, crappy tires, and/or really slick roads...
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockz View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks for all the great posts and answers.

I have searched to try to figure this, my question is 'is there a way to find out if my car is shark injected'.

I have a 323i '99 recently purchased and after reading how slow they are I have been shocked a few times now.

Once i pulled out fast onto the hwy and lit up the tires through second and into third gear, then fully rotated the power tire shifting into fourth...is this normal? i never passed 5k, also i have a dinan cai and short shifter.

(Obviously I know my TC was off)

Strange question I know, but i don't want to buy some firmware that is already running. Thanks in advance.

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
Boondockz

I wonder what your on here for sedan. I looked at your past posts and is just condescending bs and "I like that" like everyone needs to know your opinion. This is a place for facts and questions not really opinions. I literally saw no attempt to be constructive or help anyone (not like I looked deeper than the first row of posts). Go pay someone to build your car or tell you what's wrong with it. To quote his holyness sedan "No one Gaf"

Based soley on my 323i experience... IMO if a 330 can't light up street legal tires through second, your feet are not working properly. Not like burning out is why we drive BMWs but hey.
Question is/was is there anyway I can tell if its been shark injected? W/O having to take it to the rev limit. Is there a scan tool that will do it?

Last edited by Boondockz; 02-20-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
SupaDupa Steve

My Ride: 02 330ci
lol my 330 doesn't "light up" second gear.. I've also got 255 wide tires... Much wider than what a 323 comes with.
SupaDupa Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Boondockz

Wide tires are great. And BMWs aren't really a burnout car IMO.

I'm not saying you can just push your gas foot down and woo tires spin. I'm not sitting here scratching my head asking 'i burned out, i must have a car that's been shark injected?' I'm just wondering if my newly purchased used car has CPU mods to go with the Dinan CAI & short shifter on it. It has alot of pep. Sorry I brought up any examples, (I learned today on e46 fanatics, the consensus is "its all the car, not the driver- st*u if you don't have a ZHP or M.")

I am asking If there is any way to tell if a CPU has been modded? As I understand the shark injector is basically just a flash drive and does not stay plugged into the vehicle after uploading. (Long shot) Maybe one of the console tests? Or a scan tool I could start looking for..

Last edited by Boondockz; 02-20-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
Boondockz

Bump
Old 02-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #10
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondockz View Post
Question is/was is there anyway I can tell if its been shark injected? W/O having to take it to the rev limit. Is there a scan tool that will do it?
No, you won't be able to tell. Shark injector practically does not do much, it is just waste of money. Only way to tell is to download the software with special scan tool then experienced chip tuner to compare the factory file to yours.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
Boondockz

Thanks for the answer. I didn't think there would be any easy way to tell.

Probably not going to worry about it and just leave it a mystery. But with the cai, software would be more beneficial than without a cai and vice versa.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
headmaster

My Ride: e53/e60
There is a simple way to tell... Just hookup scan tool to obd II and if it's been tuned your DME version will be a weird code, usually a bunch of numbers versus the standard v45.xx. For example

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
headmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #13
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Yes you would have to hook it up to a scan tool to tell. Although typically when someone has a shark injector installed they leave the programmer with the car. Once it's plugged into one car it only works on that exact car and it then has the stock program installed in the unit so you can swap back and forth. It's not a big gain on these cars. We tried one on the 323i we built 10 years ago and although you could tell seat of the pants it wasn't huge like a lot of the plug-in chips were on earlier cars. But it does get rid of the top speed limiter and helps with quicker throttle response and a lot of them are sold for those reasons alone.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
Boondockz

Awesome. Thanks for the answers!

If you feel comfortable while your driving, your going too slow.

Tags
chip, cpu, e46, shark injector, tuning