E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
AxwelF

My Ride: Estoril Blue 330ci
Larget possible speakers for H/K Coupe

Hi

Im trying to upgrade my speaker system, and Ive been researching for months for which sizes will fit. I know, no speaker except BSWs system will fit right in, so I will have to create some adapters.

So what Im wondering is what is the maximum size for speakers in terms of depth and inches for the different positions?

Mainly looking for mid/tweeter (behind the H/K grill in the doors), larger/lower speakers in doors, aswell as the 2 "subs" in the back.

Thanks!

EDIT: Just to clarify, I dont want to cut in any metal behind the doors or under the subs in the back.

Last edited by AxwelF; 02-25-2014 at 03:37 AM.
AxwelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
For the front you're looking for 6.5in mids with the depth mount of about 2.25in. This should fit without troubles into the stock location of the coupe up in the front. Size of the magnet also matters, with the smaller magnet you can fit tad taller speakers.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
AxwelF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ilia View Post
For the front you're looking for 6.5in mids with the depth mount of about 2.25in. This should fit without troubles into the stock location of the coupe up in the front. Size of the magnet also matters, with the smaller magnet you can fit tad taller speakers.
Thank you very much! Read something about the speakers on in the back were the same size as those in the front? Or was that only for non H/K systems?
EDIT: What do you guys think of these speakers?
http://www.brl.se/sv/artiklar/jbl-gto609c.html - JBL GTO609C. 3Ohm (thats what the original speaker is right?), 75W RMS. Planning to keep the original amp and head unit. So Ill place these in the doors where existing speakers are (replacing the tweeter and midrange in the top of the door with the tweeter from this package), aswell as in the back. The 6,5" is 2" deep, so it should fit. Also inclouds some kind of filters, that I dont know what to do with. From what I understand, there already are filters from factory attached somewhere earlier on the cables to the speakers?

http://www.brl.se/sv/artiklar/gas-pr...spl-paket.html - Gas pro PM64, and PT34 tweeters. 4Ohm, 60W RMS. Meaning that this will not go as loud as the other speakers, since the resistance is higher? Also, can't find any other specs (depth etc), so Im not sure about this one.

Any other suggestions on speakers?

Last edited by AxwelF; 02-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Do you gave crossovers?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
AxwelF

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Do you gave crossovers?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No, but from what I understand, its included in the JBL kit.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
mr ilia

JBL kit includes everything you would want to hook up to either aftermarket player or aftermarket amp with full frequency signal signal.
With stock HK, this would not really work. Few reasons, the stock amp has already could in filter/crossover, means each speaker get only a portion of frequency to play. Up in the front each door has 3 speakers, so there are 3 filters. You ca easily replace both, the woofer and the tweeter, but I suspect the sound will not be balanced due to the stock midrange speaker that with have to stay.
3ohm JBL setup consists of 2 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeter with the included crossover the nominal resistance will be 3ohm. The ohm rating is compatible with stock HK speakers respectively.

General notes regarding ohm rating, higher ohm with greater speaker sensitivity will produce similar sound, since you need less power to make the speak play at substantial volume. Assuming, if the stock speakers are 2ohm and 86db w/meter it would be compatible to a 4ohm speaker with 93 db w/meter, means both will play at equally loud, even though resistance of one is greater than the other. There is more to this, but thats how it works.

To sum up, if you want to change something, you will want to put aftermarket amp. Read this link to understand ow audio in e46 works and what to do to upgrade it.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/631...de-%28long!%29
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
AxwelF

Quote:
JBL kit includes everything you would want to hook up to either aftermarket player or aftermarket amp with full frequency signal signal.
With stock HK, this would not really work. Few reasons, the stock amp has already could in filter/crossover, means each speaker get only a portion of frequency to play. Up in the front each door has 3 speakers, so there are 3 filters. You ca easily replace both, the woofer and the tweeter, but I suspect the sound will not be balanced due to the stock midrange speaker that with have to stay.
3ohm JBL setup consists of 2 ohm woofer and 4 ohm tweeter with the included crossover the nominal resistance will be 3ohm. The ohm rating is compatible with stock HK speakers respectively.

General notes regarding ohm rating, higher ohm with greater speaker sensitivity will produce similar sound, since you need less power to make the speak play at substantial volume. Assuming, if the stock speakers are 2ohm and 86db w/meter it would be compatible to a 4ohm speaker with 93 db w/meter, means both will play at equally loud, even though resistance of one is greater than the other. There is more to this, but thats how it works.

To sum up, if you want to change something, you will want to put aftermarket amp. Read this link to understand ow audio in e46 works and what to do to upgrade it.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/631...de-%28long!%29
Thanks buddy! Feeling quite a bit more understanding now. Just to make sure, youre talking about the amp behind the cd-changer right? I think theres a small separate amp for the 2 6x9s in the trunk swell, right?

As for a new amp, a 2 channel with built in filters should be enough? Thinking that I hook up the tweeters on one channel, and the 6,5"s on the second? Im going to start with replacing only the speakers in the doors, then moving to the backseats, and at last replacing the 6x9s in the trunk, which I then hook up to the same channel as the 6,5"s? Will this setup work? Please bare with me, Im really trying to search on google to learn aswell, but its hard to understand...

EDIT: Or will I need twice as many channels to get right and left channels? So 2 channels for the front, and 2 for the back? Im confused haha

Last edited by AxwelF; 02-27-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
mr ilia

2 channel amp will power power those JBLs. The JBL is a component set, this it includes main speaker (woofer, tweeter and the proper crossover. left channel of the amp will be connected to the crossover and from crossover you will have 2 outs, one for the wooer and the other one for the tweeter. Same thing for the right channel.
The sub amp is the small box just in from of the sub, the main amp is hidden beside the driver's side rear wheel well in the trunk (coupe).
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #9
AxwelF

Quote:
2 channel amp will power power those JBLs. The JBL is a component set, this it includes main speaker (woofer, tweeter and the proper crossover. left channel of the amp will be connected to the crossover and from crossover you will have 2 outs, one for the wooer and the other one for the tweeter. Same thing for the right channel.
The sub amp is the small box just in from of the sub, the main amp is hidden beside the driver's side rear wheel well in the trunk (coupe).
Allright, got it all!

One last question: If I hook up another set of JBL speakers for the rear, I would need to do it on another 2 channels if I want to be able to set front/back audio level balance right?

So the best solution seems for me to get a 4 channel amp for the actual coupe, and then a 1 channel/monoblock for new subs/6x9"s in the trunk. Any other opinions?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
mr ilia

yes, 2 channels for the front (L and R), and you will need 2 channels for the back (L and R). Usually rears are set to play much lower, just for the rear fill for rear passengers. From the drivers point of view and for the sound quality, the ideal is to have the front speakers and the sub in the rear.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #11
AxwelF

Quote:
yes, 2 channels for the front (L and R), and you will need 2 channels for the back (L and R). Usually rears are set to play much lower, just for the rear fill for rear passengers. From the drivers point of view and for the sound quality, the ideal is to have the front speakers and the sub in the rear.
More questions popping up as I do more research haha...

If I were to replace the front speakers, I would buy a 4 channel AMP and replace the OE AMP with, to later be able to upgrade the back speakers aswell. But in the meanwhile, I would still use the OE speakers in the back, but wire them up to the new AMP. This would mean I would have to install filters/crossovers for the back, as the old amp had crossovers built in?

From what I can understand from the DIY guide you linked earlier, he used the OE back speakers, on the new amp, but he doest mention anything about crossovers/filters.

EDIT: Ive found a used MDS X-ite X4 amp for about 80 euro, will this fill my needs? Any special functionality I need to look for when buying an amp (special connections etc)?

Last edited by AxwelF; 03-01-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
mr ilia

I'd change back speakers as well, as it is desirable to have matching impedance for speakers. This will be easier to tune and setup properly.
For the back, some decent 5.25 or 6.5 coaxials would work, but for the rears, you will have to set the amp gains to the 20-30% range of the front.... This is would be a good starting point.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
without any modifiation to the doors yeah you can squeeze a 6.5 with about 2.5 inches of mounting depth, but you have to be careful. what people have done (theres an install thread floating around the forum) is cut into the metal part of the door, and create a mounting baffle out of wood that sits on the metal, rather than the door card. this allows you to fit a deeper speaker, and this install will give you much more midbass since the speaker has the entire door to work with.
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote