E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
e46newcomer

My Ride: rental!!
Futher Audio Knowlege Needed!!!

Hey, I have stage one bav audio speaker and feel the system now that the clarity issues have been addressed. Needs much more bass!! I have researched sound dampening in depth and know this need be done. but till then, I enjoy the stock deck look and don't want to change it. So I installed a punch 12" and an old amp I had laying around in an enclosed box custom made with Rockford specs in mind from there website specifically for the sub. I used an inline convertor to convert the speaker inputs to the outputs needed for my amp(basic) BUT, I now just finished that install and am unsatisfied with the clarity of the bass. Like it is not spot on or doesn't resonate the proper frequencies. IDK!! Not knowledgeable enough in the subject to know what to do. Is there a cheap equalizer I could use and if so, how do I tune it? I'm up for any suggestions!!!
e46newcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
e46newcomer

bump, bump, bump!!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
That's probably not it...:.its probably that e46s have a solid metal wall between the trunk and the cabin....so you are only getting certain frequencies, and they are damped......search "ski pass mod" for more info.

Could also be the position or phase of the sub.

Or a combination of the above. Trial and error....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
e46newcomer

I have a 330ci. no wall:/ but I believe its really just the amp. I can tune it for say, hip hop. sounds good and may lack in more mid bass. Were I'd think the bsw speakers would take over but there is almost no bass at all from the speakers besides the sub. for all the hype about bsw I'd think there would be better bass. However, I am the second own and didn't purchase them so maybe he blared the crap out of them idk. would the sound dampening inner and outer doors with dynalyner and then the wood base for the drivers with the hole cut into the door fix the bass??? perhaps the stock amp is failing and I need an after market amp 5 or 6 channel with crossovers? I can trouble shoot a misfire or vaccum leak in your intake system but I cant figure out anything about speakers lmao
Old 03-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Coupes have metal seat backs too. Does it sound better with the seat back down? Play with the location, direction, and phase of the sub as well. Also you didn't mention what crossover frequency you have the amp set to....80hz would be a good starting point.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
OP, listen to this guy - jeffb325@NavigationSolutions.
Also post pics of your install. I'm pretty certain the issue is the tuning and sub positioning then the hardware.
Also exact specs of your setup would help big time.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
mr ilia

My Ride: 04 BMW 325ci 5spd
OP, listen to this guy - jeffb325@NavigationSolutions.
Also post pics of your install. I'm pretty certain the issue is the tuning and sub positioning then the hardware.
Also exact specs of your setup would help big time.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
e46newcomer

If I play hip hop it sounds really good! All deep bass is great! Sounds clear and fresh. Now I switch to rock and rock and theres no bass like I have the sensitivity tuned to low to pick up the rock bass notes. So its really just tuning. But I have a 12" punch p2 in a sealed box with a power acoustik hmr500x2 powering it set on lps only at 80Hz, bass boost on with a scosche loc2sl converter. Just realized the 5's in the rear deck are hk not bsw.

Sent from my C771 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
it honestly could be the factory head unit that is not giving you the clarity you want or need. a processor would definitely fix and improve that
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
e46newcomer

Come to think of it that could be it cuz I'll have it set on aux and her playing music and randomly it'll switch to my cd and no longer have the ability to go to aux. Has anyone seen that before?

Sent from my C771 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #11
Jh05M3

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Where did you tap into for the line out converter? BMW factory amps have crossovers built into them. If you grab signal from the wrong place speakers won't sound correct. The amp only knows what you give it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Double Din Mod - Kenwood DNX9980HD | Focal Be N 7 | Focal Be N 6 | Focal 33KX x 2 | Mosconi AS Amplifiers | K&N Cold Air | Eisenmann Mid Pipes | AA Gen IV Exhaust | UUC SSK DSSR | DINAN Stage 4 | K40 RL360 | Foose 20s on Nitto INVOs | Ultrasuede Interior - Top Half | Painted Interior Trim - Gloss Black | Vorsteiner CF VRS Hood | CF Vents |
Jh05M3 is offline   Reply With Quote