E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
UKe46

My Ride: 330ci Clubsport
Great Product!! and Story about M3

If you have ever wondered what happens to your car when you take it to a garage, then a text message(2 way page) might just be able to help.

In-car tracking systems are usually intended to keep tabs on stolen cars, but the technology can have additional benefits, as one Manchester man recently found out.

The man, known only as Mr G, purchased a global positioning satellite system called TrakM8 from Dorset firm Interactive Projects.

TrakM8 can be set to send an SMS text message to a mobile phone for a variety of purposes such as if the driver has broken down or is in other difficulties.

It also has a feature that alerts the driver via SMS when the car is going above the speed limit.

Caught out

The service manager couldn't believe it and nearly died of embarrassment

Mr G
This feature proved revealing when Mr G took his car in for a routine service.

When the car should have been in the garage, he received a series of SMS messages telling him that his brand new 50K BMW M3 was actually speeding through the streets of Manchester.

"Someone was obviously driving it with some welly and I wasn't too happy as it was a new car," said Mr G.

"I called the garage with some pretty angry messages and the service manager couldn't believe it and nearly died of embarrassment," he explained.

"The really funny thing was that he had fitted the system two days earlier,"

Satisfying moment

This added benefit of the TrakM8 system could prove useful for people keen to keep an eye on their mechanic's use of their car, said Karen Knapton of Interactive Projects.

"We would have loved to see the service manager's face when he was shown the action replay of the abused car," she said.

"It must have been one of those satisfying moments.

"We all know this kind of thing happens but it's great to be able to prove it," she said.

www.trackM8.com

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:22 PM   #2
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Nice write up and product....could come in handy,good lookin out!!!
Old 06-07-2002, 01:25 PM   #3
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
My Ride: Hamann 3
Send a message via AIM to DropTopBM
Oh man, thats great... everyone should have one of those, where did u find this story?
DropTopBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:26 PM   #4
UKe46

Also check out the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	4418  
Old 06-07-2002, 01:27 PM   #5
UKe46

Old 06-07-2002, 01:31 PM   #6
StreetTrixE4six
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 08' 328i E92
That's awesome! I've never heard of it though. Is it available in the US?
StreetTrixE4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #7
Craig
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!

My Ride: 09' AW E92 335i
Damn i'm readin up i need me one of these...lol Any clue on cost???? and availability in the states???
Old 06-07-2002, 01:33 PM   #8
UKe46

Safety camera warning
Whenever your vehicle is approaching an accident black spot (speed camera) your TrakM8 will give you a visual and audible warning. I you are approaching faster than the speed limit you will receive an audible warning to slow down. This information is conveyed via a discrete Driver Interface 'Pod'. The safety camera database can store the locations of around 11,000 cameras. Users can add or remove entries using the 'Pod'. You can also update the database using a free web download or by subscription to our update service where cameras will be automatically updated as required via the GSM network.

Pressing both of the buttons on the Driver Interface 'Pod' together will put TrakM8 into 'Panic' mode. The 'Pod' will start sounding and flashing and a text message will be sent to user defined mobile phones. This message contains the exact location of the vehicle. The recipient of the message would telephone the vehicle driver to confirm if Police assistance is required.

Invisible 'security shield'
When enabled every time you park your vehicle TrakM8 puts up an invisible 100 metre radius 'security shield' around its location. When the vehicle moves outside of this 'shield' TrakM8 alerts you by SMS. Your vehicle might be being stolen or towed away - you know about it before they get away! People may ignore vehicle alarm sirens, but you won't ignore your TrakM8!

Curfew breach reporting
You may wish to restrict the use of your vehicle to certain times of the day / week. TrakM8 can be set to send an SMS if the vehicle is used outside the permitted hours that you define.

Fastest 0-62 mph reporting
If you enable this feature, every time you attain a better 0-62 time TrakM8 will tell you via SMS. 0-62 is the default but is user configurable e.g. 0-50 or 0-100. TrakM8 can also report the best time attained during the previous period. You can set the period from 1 minute to 24 hours.

Maximum speed reporting
When this option is enabled your TrakM8 will send you an SMS once every period telling you the maximum speed attained during the previous period. You can set the period from 1 minute to 24 hours.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:51 PM   #9
valerie
M-Tech Originator

My Ride: BMWs
OMG that sounds amazing! I would love to have these features!!

valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 01:55 PM   #10
DropTopBM
Banned

Location: Im from where the hammers rung, news cameras never come, throw the work in the can and scream "runnn"
My Ride: Hamann 3
Send a message via AIM to DropTopBM
can we get these in america? where? how much?

post the info
DropTopBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 02:13 PM   #11
Amil
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO

My Ride: 04 Range Rover 07 A4
Send a message via AIM to Amil Send a message via MSN to Amil Send a message via Yahoo to Amil
hell lets try to get a group buy on this thing..if not sold in the states we'lll ship from england ...hehe
Old 06-07-2002, 02:19 PM   #12
Amil
mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO

My Ride: 04 Range Rover 07 A4
Send a message via AIM to Amil Send a message via MSN to Amil Send a message via Yahoo to Amil
bah this is what i found on their site . Currently North America is not supported with TrakM8, however our next generation product which will be available early 2002 will work in North America.

i tried callling them but i guess they were closed!
Old 06-07-2002, 02:32 PM   #13
manik
N_D_N

My Ride: 2002 M3 convt :: SMG
Send a message via AIM to manik
Camera Society in UK and Europe

Folks as you may know, UK has video cameras EVERYWHERE and when i say EVERYWHERE, I mean it ! It was smart of the TrackM8 people to interface their technology with such surveillance.

But in USA, I do not see this capability reaching such heights coz in America PRIVACY is a huge issue and our Federal and various state laws will NOT really comply with such monitoring via video cameras everywhere you go. I'd rather have these cameras record coz it ensures safety. I don't give a sh!t about privacy, but a lotttt of people do.

So maybe in the US, they can have a different variant of the monitoring technology, like, logging all violations that the user has defined for his / her car, e.g. a user can set a distance radius , speed limit etc. when the car is dropped off for service. If a boundary is crossed, the system can alert the user on his / her phone / computer !

I know there is a compay in the US, i cant remember the name, but they provide a better version of LoJack. LoJack does not have user based monitoring, but the company I am talking about, allows you to check your car's location / speed / engine info, etc via the web. I saw it on TechTV. YOu can even lock your car and turn it off !!!!

As soon as our cars and their computer interfacing becomes more central, I am sure security and scruitiny will increase. I can't wait !

So next time a sucker gets close to my car and thinks about antyhing malicous, that MoFo is getting a hot flame thrown at his balls !...hahahaa !!
Old 06-07-2002, 06:15 PM   #14
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
Originally posted by UKe46
Also check out the pics!

Wow, that interior looks great! Do you have any other pics of the interior? That's Tan right?
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:33 PM   #15
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
I just stand around my shop looking scary, trimming my facial growth with my tanto.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote