E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AK HI ID OR WA

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Kayakdude

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330CI
P0011 and P0014

Hoping you guys can help me out. I have owned several 3 series BMWs including M3's and do my own repairs......... so far successfully.
I just bought a 330Ci 2004 with these two codes showing. The seller told me they were the Intake and Exhaust cam sensors. I researched here and it seemed like the next step was to just replace both sensors. I changed both sensors and replaced the spark plugs at the same time. When I started the car, I got the same codes, same symptoms.
When I drove the car home, it seemed to be related to a load or acceleration. When you first start it, it has a slight rough idle, accelerates smooth, but but seems to lack the normal full power. If I accelerate hard, it suddenly shuts down to a rough lope idle 1000 to 1500 RPM with no power. When I coast off the road and turn it off and on, it starts right up and goes back to the slight rough idle.
I have read about the Vano's seals and wanted to hear if anyone else has had these symptoms. MY other thought was fuel supply. I was told it had a new fuel pump and fuel filter, but I still need to confirm that. When it shuts down the transmission goes into limp mode. I am guessing its because of the engine issue.
Driving me nuts! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Update: I bought aftermarket sensors from Pelican parts. After reading thru the forums, I learned I need to go with OEM sensors. So I bought BMW cam and exhaust sensors and installed them. The car's symptoms did slightly change and the symptoms improved, but I still get the codes and the same loss of power, etc.
I also rebuilt the Vanos with the beisan seals. The Vanos looked real clean inside and I checked the pistons and valves and they moved smoothly, but the seals were brittle as expected Great instructions!
When I cleared the codes and start the car cold, it starts and sounds fairly normal with a slight rough idle
The first 5 minutes or so it runs pretty good. AT this point, I can now make it fail by just punching it at under 2500 RPM. When it's up to normal operation temp. When I start out, if I accelerate slowly it goes, but lacking power. If I punch it from a stop it immediately goes into limp mode and shuts down to 1000 to 1500 RPM with a rough idle, and the SES light up along with the P0011&P0014 codes .

RAJ (Beisen) said it comes down to three things. The timing is off, the Vanos needs rebuilding, or sensors are bad. He also said to check that the Crankshaft sensor is OEM.I already took care of the OEM sensors and rebuilt the Vanos. Yesterday, I took the car in to an independent BMW repair shop and they checked the timing, fuel injectors, etc. He said the timing is slightly off and the exhaust side showed a pending code, but that could be caused by issues other than the cam sensors and said possibly the crankshaft sensor could be malfunctioning. He said that they act up when they get hot. I ordered a BMW OEM crankshaft sensor. I should get It this weekend.

I still have the rough idle, and for whatever reason it gets worse when the engine is warm.
I have cleaned and checked all the connectors, and am running out of options. I installed new Air, Oil and fuel filters, New spark plugs, Valve cover gasket Vanos seals, OEM BMW Intake and exhaust sensors,
When I install the Crank sensor I plan to check for any vacuumed leaks and anything else that looks funny.

Do you have any suggestions or experience with a similar issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kayakdude; 04-10-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Kayakdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Kayakdude

Update
Installed Crank sensor, No change
Took it to a repair shop in desperation. Timing is good, They told me its the VANOS.
I found a crankcase hose that was old an brittle , so I also replace the "octopus" and 4 hoses.
Bought a new VANOS and selenoids .............No change!
I changed the oil to 15/40 as I had 5/30 in the car. thinking it could be related to oil pressure. No change

I am about ready to take it into the stealer and have them diagnose, very frustrating.
I am wondering if the ECU could act this way? I is related to heat. An one out there have any ideas?
thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Kayakdude

Well I figured it out with the help from Raj. turns out the mechanical timing was incorrect. I found the Exhaust cam gear one tooth off in the advanced direction. I rented the Cam alignment tools and discovered the issue. I was never told by the seller that someone had messed with the timing. Thru the process of elimination, I ended up with the mechanical timing being the root cause. I took the car to a independent repair and they guessed wrong. I took it to the local BMW dealer and they said either the Vanos ( which I replaced with a new one) or the transmission!
I really appreciate Raj and his patience. He is a great resource and willing to help. he stuck with me till the problem was resolved.
A true professional!
thanks