E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
bilwltr5

My Ride: 2004 325 xi
Which FCABs to purchace?

I've done some searching and am struggling to identify the exact pair of FCABs I need on my 04 325xi. I don't particularly care if they are powerflex or OE replacements. I believed I've determined I need a 60mm set. Can anyone verify, with a part number, what set will work? If I go with OE replacements I'll probably order from bavauto. My next concern is how difficult is it to remove the old sleeve from the lollipop? Once it is out do I need a press to put the new ones back in? Any help is greatly appreciated.
bilwltr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Rice4bfast

My Ride: 325xi Touring
Best to go check realoem for your part number

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Rice4bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
bilwltr5

I've got the part number: 31129063163. Matches up to the bushings I've looked at. I can't find any definitive advice as to how the bushings are installed into the lollipops. Advice?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
If you don't have an arbor press available you can use a good bench vise and a driver that is slightly larger in diameter than the outside metal of the bushing. You can use the bench vise to drive it in. That said, why in the world would you want to replace the FCABs with the stock rubber FCAB Bushings when for about the same price you can upgrade to Power Flex or Bav Auto Urethane FCAB Bushings???? They are much easier to install and last much longer than the OEM/OE Rubber FCAB Bushings.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Powerflex. Don't mess around with OEM style fcabs.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
bilwltr5

Thanks for the heads up on the powerflex. My dad has a shop a few hours away with a press. I'll wait to change them until I head there for a weekend. Any part number on the powerflex bushing and suggested retailer? I'm a little thrown off by the different mm sizes some sites are offering. Without putting a micrometer on the shaft and housing I wouldn't be able to know for sure what I need.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
We stock the Powerflex bushings too. I actually just installed a set of these on my E30 last weekend. If you have access to a press that's the easiest way to change these. But the powerflex bushings go in a lot easier than the original bushings come out. A vise would work fine for putting them in. But it would have to be pretty strong vice to get originals out. Before I had my own press I used to just crush down the outer sleeve of FCAB's with a chisel until they deformed enough to come out.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
bostonsthename

My Ride: 2003 Jet Black 330xi
I just did mine (for the second time, 2 different cars) and I used powerflex. Yes you need a press. Both times I did it, the biggest thing I had was like an 1-1/2" socket so I pressed out the interior parts of the old bushings then used a reciprocating saw to cut the outer part of the bushing then crimped it to get it out. The power flex bushings press in so easily though.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
bostonsthename

My Ride: 2003 Jet Black 330xi
So basically what Ken@BavAuto just said lol
Old 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
To remove the old bushings from the brackets with no arbor press available, you can clamp the bracket in a good bench vise, cut the inner rubber out and then take a sawmill/reciprocating saw and cut 2 or 3 groves in the outer metal ring being careful not to go all the way thru and nicking the inner surface of the bracket. Then with a punch you can knock the outer FCAB ring out pretty easily. A good bench vise is all that is needed to install the PowerFlex Urethane Bushings using a big enough "pusher" so as not to cut them. Good source for Power Flex Urethane Bushings is BAV Auto, like Ken from there said. I used them on my e30 318is and my e30 325ix and also on my e46 325xi and when the original FCABs on my e46 330xi sport need to be replaced, they will be replaced with Power Flex Urethane FCABs.
My question to you, bilwltr5 is this, if your FCABs need to be replaced, have you also checked the Lower Control Arms to see if the Outer Ball Joints are ok and don't have excessive play? A lot of times when its time to replace the FCABs (original ones), its also time to replace the Lower Control Arms because the outer ball joint has excessive play (generally checked by lifting the car and pulling and pushing on the tire/wheel assembly at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock while looking at the ball joint for excessive movement, easier to do with 2 people).
You can remove the FCAB bracket from the Lower Control Arm while it is one the car, much easier to do with a "press tool", but it can also be done with plenty of spray lube, a good punch and good sized hammer.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #11
bilwltr5

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. Sounds like I'll go with the powerflex from bavauto. I recently ordered some suspension parts from there and will add the fcabs to the next one. To the question about whether balljoints need to be done also, they are still great. The FCABs aren't actually bad but I am a big fan of preventative maintenance. They sound like a good project for me to take on as I keep replacing things.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
bilwltr5

Looks like I'll purchase this set, part number PFF5-4601XI from bavauto.