E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
Torok.Designs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,160
My Ride: E46 Sedan
- Official : Photoshop Help Thread -

I was wondering if all of you who are very experienced with photoshop would mind checking this thread now and then to help answer questions that less experienced people might have.

Photoshop can be a very daunting application to use and while there are sources online to help answer questions, nothing beats a 1 on 1 discussion of how to figure something out and why to do something over another option.

I hope some of you can take the time to be helpful and respond to the questions that are posted. I know I have some right off the bat.
__________________
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Torok.Designs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,160
My Ride: E46 Sedan
Here's my first set of questions.


1. I've been shooting in RAW(NEF) mode with the dimensions set at 6000x4000. Is there a reason I should keep the size that large? Does cropping work better on an image that size? Less loss of clarity in the image or something?

2. There's a picture below to show you what I mean for this question. Is there any reason to save the photo as 12 file size? Should I save at 6 instead? Or a different size? Are there certain reasons to save at certain sizes? As of now i've always saved my "good" (what is good for me) as size 12 files and all the other regular photos of everyday things as size 6 files. I'm just wondering if that matters.

3. Format options, in picture below also, which options or do they not even matter? Scans?


Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 6.47.29 PM by torokdesigns, on Flickr
__________________
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Torok.Designs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,160
My Ride: E46 Sedan
No easy answers from the pros?
__________________
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Port Credit, ON
Posts: 288
My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
It all depends. What are you intending to do with the final image/file? Output an 800 pixel wide image to the web? Print a bus shelter sized print?

Once you discard image data, it's gone. Forever. Disk space is cheap.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
KieranG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 157
My Ride: 2000 323i
If you are putting something online, using lower quality will allow for it to load and be viewable faster, but image clarity may be sacrificed as well. Just my 2 cents and something to keep in mind when saving the final copy
__________________
KieranG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
tachi1247
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 659
My Ride: '04 330i
Definitely not a pro, but I always save at the highest resolution/quality possible. As others said, you can't get image data back.

A 2tb hdd is like $100 so I can buy two (one for back up) and have enough space to store nearly every photo I will ever take with my d7100. Plus, by the time I fill it, I'll probably be able to buy 10tb for the same price.

Edit: when I intend to post something online I will save another copy at a lower quality that I will usually upload to the cloud

Last edited by tachi1247; 03-24-2014 at 03:19 PM.
tachi1247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Torok.Designs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,160
My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
It all depends. What are you intending to do with the final image/file? Output an 800 pixel wide image to the web? Print a bus shelter sized print?

Once you discard image data, it's gone. Forever. Disk space is cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranG View Post
If you are putting something online, using lower quality will allow for it to load and be viewable faster, but image clarity may be sacrificed as well. Just my 2 cents and something to keep in mind when saving the final copy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachi1247 View Post
Definitely not a pro, but I always save at the highest resolution/quality possible. As others said, you can't get image data back.

A 2tb hdd is like $100 so I can buy two (one for back up) and have enough space to store nearly every photo I will ever take with my d7100. Plus, by the time I fill it, I'll probably be able to buy 10tb for the same price.

Edit: when I intend to post something online I will save another copy at a lower quality that I will usually upload to the cloud
Ok then the highest quality it is. Most of the time they are just for posting online but the occasion for a print may arise.

Can anyone answer my third question? Do format options matter for best quality? Number of scans? What does that even mean?

Thank you very much for the help so far.
__________________
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
neil1138
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,240
Save in the highest resolution possible. Why? It's all about IQ (image quality). We get better cameras/lenses to push as much IQ as possible and then we spend all of this time editing our photos, wouldn't we want the highest IQ possible? Once you finish editing that photo and close out, there is no going back and increasing the quality.

If you want to use jpg: Quality 12 - Maximum. And the format options are equivalent more or less to how the image initially loads on anyone's screen. Baseline Standard is the one you need to use. Optimized is more or less baseline standard except the image is compressed slightly. Progressive (depending on the scan number), creates and image that will display gradually as it's loaded (remember back to old school displays that show line by line).

I wouldn't save in jpg anyway. JPG is a lossy format meaning each time you save, a little bit of information is lost from the photo. PNG is lossless, save in that.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Torok.Designs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sacramento CA
Posts: 1,160
My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
Save in the highest resolution possible. Why? It's all about IQ (image quality). We get better cameras/lenses to push as much IQ as possible and then we spend all of this time editing our photos, wouldn't we want the highest IQ possible? Once you finish editing that photo and close out, there is no going back and increasing the quality.

If you want to use jpg: Quality 12 - Maximum. And the format options are equivalent more or less to how the image initially loads on anyone's screen. Baseline Standard is the one you need to use. Optimized is more or less baseline standard except the image is compressed slightly. Progressive (depending on the scan number), creates and image that will display gradually as it's loaded (remember back to old school displays that show line by line).

I wouldn't save in jpg anyway. JPG is a lossy format meaning each time you save, a little bit of information is lost from the photo. PNG is lossless, save in that.
Great info, thank you.
__________________
Torok.Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use